Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

starshine posted:

Has anyone dealt with crazy babby hiccups during pregnancy? I'm 32 weeks today and baby has gotten the hiccups at least once a day for the past 4 days. I felt them from time to time previously, but it's a little weird to get used to. Probably nothing to be concerned about, right?

Nope, perfectly normal. Natalie would get the hiccups multiple times a day the last couple of weeks I was pregnant. She is almost 5 weeks old and still gets them a couple of times a day. In fact, she's hiccuping in her swing as I type this. It freaked me out during the first couple of weeks because they seemed to be constant but the doctor reassured me that it's just due to an immature diaphragm (normal) and they would go away. And so far she's gets them a lot less frequently.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Panne posted:

Edit: It's common for babies to be fussy in the evening, see this: http://www.kellymom.com/babyconcerns/fussy-evening.html

Thank you for this. Every night between 5 and 9pm, Natalie just hates the world and I have seriously questioned every action I've taken. I've gone through everything I've eaten that day trying to figure out what could be causing this. More than once, I've plopped her on dads lap and left the room to regroup. It's so confusing because during the day, everything is great and she's a happy baby that smiles at me and makes me feel wonderful. I'm just glad to know that I'm not alone with this.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Ariza posted:

Our baby will fall asleep if someone is holding her, but as soon as I lay her down she wakes up and starts crying. I don't know if it's ok to let her cry herself to sleep or for how long I should let her cry before comforting her. I've tried reading up on it but everything has different ideas and I don't want to screw her up. As I type this, she's in my arms as she has been since about midnight. I've tried her swing and vibrating chair but she just starts crying as soon as I set her down.

Do you swaddle her? If not, I highly recommend it. My kid tries to be Houdini but it helps when we put her down for bed. It helps with transitioning her from my arms to bed/swing because she gets jostled less.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Brennanite posted:

All the talk of nursing pads is bringing out my secret shame: I'm only 22 weeks and I've started to leak. It's just a few drops so far, but I'm worried. Will it get worse the further along I get or will it just stay a few drops until the baby comes?

This is really embarrassing to ask. :blush:

Every woman is different. I didn't leak anything until the week before my baby was born. Now, I have to wear pads constantly because my boob leak constantly now. If she hasn't eaten for a while, I could probably pull out a boob and put out a small fire.

And I agree with Oracle, the Lansinoh brand works wonderfully and doesn't leak.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Iron Squid posted:

So, our six-week old baby hasn't pooped in the last two days. He's being breastfed, with formula when he's still hungry. Should we be concerned about this?

If baby is making wet diapers like normal then you shouldn't be concerned. I believe breastfed babies can go up to 10 days without pooping and still be considered normal. At least, that is what our pediatrician has told us. I'm guessing the formula supplements won't affect it too much. My baby has gone up to 7 days without pooping but boy does she make up for it when she does.

It can be worrisome because it feels like their filling up and something should be coming out but babies are pretty efficient with their food. But if your baby isn't making enough wet diapers or you are still unsure, call your doctor. They get questions like this all the time.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
Like others, I went with a changing pad on top of the dresser. It works perfectly and it can be screwed down so it's more secure. I'd say we use it any time she needs changed and we're upstairs. If we're downstairs, I'll just plop her on the couch or floor. Unless it's a pretty scary poopy diaper. Then we'll trek upstairs where it's a little more structured. And close to the bath tub if needed.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Awesome Kristin posted:

So I'm 5 weeks pregnant right now. Can I take something to help alleviate these weird almost-cramp feelings? If nothing is likely to get rid of the feeling then I'd rather not try anything, but I have no idea if I am ok taking ibuprofen or aspirin.

Call a doctor if you have concerns but do not take ibuprofen or aspirin right now. Tylenol is probably the best you can take at the moment. Wish I had some advice but mine felt like light cramping/tightness for the first trimester and nothing really helped. It does get better though.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Mangue posted:

Last week I had some mild spotting the day after my husband and I had sex. I was a little worried but there really wasn't any cramping and it only lasted one day. Today, I got out of bed and experienced a pretty severe sharp pain in my left lower abdomen and dizziness. It only lasted a couple of seconds and I brushed it off as potentially being round ligament pain. However, a couple hours later, I experienced some really light spotting again. (My husband and I have not had sex since the first incident.)

I have already had an ultrasound so an ectopic pregnancy is pretty much the last thing on my list. Am I just freaking out needlessly? I called my doc the first time I spotted a bit and he just said to monitor it and make an appointment if it got worse. Did anyone else experience any sort of "regular" pains and spotting during early pregnancy? Should I call again? I am between 7 and 8 weeks along and I don't have another OB appointment for a couple of weeks.

I had light spotting throughout my first trimester. It scared me every single time I saw any sort of spotting. In my case, it was mainly implantation and irritation but it scared me just the same. I was told if it was light and brown, then not to worry. If it was pink or red and there was cramping then I should call the doctor. But by all means, call the doctor if you are concerned. That's what they are there for.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Bahunter22 posted:

Has anyone experienced extreme rage during their pregnancy? I'm a pretty even tempered person, pretty happy for the most part, however for the last few weeks I've been experiencing unbelievable amounts of rage. I try to keep as calm as possible but its getting to a point where my blood pressure and heart rate are constantly up and I know its got to have an effect on my baby. I'm just wondering if anyone else had this and what they did about it?

Oh man, this was me. I didn't get weepy when I was pregnant but the closer to my due date, the shorter my temper got. There was one time a coworker was telling me about how her husband wasn't going to travel with her and her kids to visit family because he was worried about the snow accumulating on their roof at home. For what ever reason, this got me so angry that I was almost yelling about it. It took me by surprise and I apologized to her profusely. I'd never reacted like that before.

Unfortunately, the only thing that helped me was to get a lot of sleep, which isn't easy to do when you're pregnant, and avoid people. I pretty much embraced my hermit tendencies.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
I had a 3D ultrasound and I even framed one of the pictures. Personally, I don't think they look creepy so for me that was never a factor. I really wanted them done so that I could have a picture that looked more tangible than the 2D black and white. With my pregnancy brain it made me feel like the baby was actually a baby and not just a blob. Anyway, at the time I really enjoyed it and was glad I had them done.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Brennanite posted:

I'm sure I'm missing something, what do you guys recommend?

You're probably including it with your change of clothes but extra socks! And don't forget extra batteries for your camera. Hang in there, you're almost there!

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

So is it common to stay in the hospital for several days after the baby is born? I figured I'd go home asap unless there is bad tearing.

We checked into the hospital Friday evening, had the baby Saturday at 12:04pm, and checked out Monday at noon. They told us if she had been born 5 minutes earlier, we could have checked out on Sunday but since we have to be there a minimum of 24 hours after the baby is born, we had to stay until Monday. I'm glad it worked out the way it did because it really was good to have the extra help with breastfeeding.

Edit: And the hospital check outs were at noon. That might make more sense now.

Revenant77 fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 10, 2011

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Bahunter22 posted:

I have another question - has anyone had success with scoliosis and epidurals before? I read that it might not be possible and I'm a little worried about it now.

As a matter of fact I do! It was one of the few questions I asked the anesthesiologist when I was getting my epidural. I have a S curvature but it was never bad enough for a brace or surgery. When I brought it up he asked if I had any fused vertebra but if not, then he wasn't concerned. So, your case may be different and you should definitely bring it up but it is possible to still get one.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Brennanite posted:

Someone please tell me the weird pregnancy dreams go away immediately after giving birth. They're really starting to freak me out. Last week I was attacked by Clifford, the big red dog, after my grandfather tried to force me to eat a Norwegian elkhound as punishment for...visiting? And that was the most normal dream in the last month by far. :(

The first couple months after Natalie was born were crazy dream free. Then out of the blue I had a few in a row that were just like my pregnancy dreams. It scared the crap out of me because I thought, oh god don't let me be pregnant already. So far, they seem to have gone away.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
I went to a practice of doctors but I got to see the same doctor for every prenatal appointment because I requested it. I was able to build a rapport with him. I was extremely comfortable and at ease because he felt that child birth was a natural process that should require very few interventions unless absolutely necessary. In the end it didn't matter at all since I didn't see him once during the entire labor and birth of my daughter.

Having an OBGYN doesn't have to be a bad thing. You have to find the practitioner that makes you the most comfortable, be it a OB or a midwife. Your experience is not guaranteed based on the type of practitioner you have.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

vanessa posted:

If anybody in the U.S. is looking to get their car seat/stroller still, Britax is having a couple of amazing deals on their web site right now:

Order the Chaperone car seat in Moonstone (discontinued pattern) and get the stroller free:
http://www.britaxusa.com/store/special-deals/chaperone-moonstone-travel-system
(while supplies last)

This is a good deal but just be aware that the stroller is very bulky and not the lightest to lift in and out of a car. The seat is very good but if your kid has broad shoulders like mine, the seat will make them miserable. We got a new seat at 7 months and she's a totally different kid in the car. Just my two cents.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Girls can totally wear dinosaurs and monkeys and super heroes too!

For maternity coats, I would just wear my regular coat and wear more layers or warmer sweaters. Are you outside that much that it would make a difference?

I can't stress this enough. Just because you have a girl doesn't mean you're restricted to pink clothes. No one is going to call the CPS on you. I've got plenty of dinosaurs and batman clothes for my girl. I even have a skull and cross bone sweatshirt. It's totally up to you what you put your kid in so don't fret over it. Most of the time it didn't matter because Nat spit up constantly until she was 6 mo old so she always wore huge bib over whatever she was wearing. It got to the point that it didn't matter if it was a halloween pumpkin in April as long as it was clean.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
Food born illnesses are not something to thumb your nose at. While the recent outbreak of listeria was with cantaloupe and not deli meats, it still shows that the bacteria can be in our food sources. http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/03/us-listeria-cantaloupes-idUSTRE7A20BU20111103 Also, there was a recall on eggs last year. http://www.foodsafety.gov/keep/types/eggs/

I am not saying don't eat anything but be aware of what you are eating. Eat smart and make choices that make sense for you and be happy with them but also know that you have to deal with the possible consequences. And I agree, stressing out about it is likely to be worse in the long run. Again, be smart about what you eat but don't totally disregard guidelines.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet

Melraidin posted:

My wife's about to go get her RhoGAM shot tomorrow. We've only now realized that it may not be necessary and of course comes with some small risks.

Can anyone make a recommendation here? We're certainly not against modern medicine or anything like that but if the shot might be totally unnecessary we could avoid all risks entirely.

You should discuss this with your doctor. Rh incompatibility is a pretty big deal from what I've read and discussed with others. I thought that blood typing was part of the set of blood work that doctors do. It's likely that your wife is Rh- if they want to give her the shot but I thought they also typed the dad's blood too. The shot doesn't just protect the current pregnancy but also future ones. I would get the shot if I were her. Just my nonmedical opinion.

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
This has sparked my interest to I've been searching the internets for risks of getting the RhoGAM shot but I haven't found anything that strikes me as a risk to the baby. The only things I've read against it are due to using thimerosal as a preservative but then I've also read that no company making the shot has used that since before 2001. Are there others I'm not finding?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
We used a pack and play next to the bed until she could roll over. Then we moved her to a crib. Like Bam, I'd recommend a crib that converts to a toddler bed. It's one less thing to buy later on and it's just convenient.

Also, we looked for cribs specifically made from hardwoods. Kids will bite the wood and hardwoods will take it better than softwoods. We went with a mahogany crib and so far we have minimal teeth marks. My sister has a pine crib and it looks like her kid is going to gnaw through it.