Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Fun Times! posted:

I was talking to a friend today and the topic of home birthing came up. She claimed to be slightly opposed to hospital births (excepting complications) as home birthing is "more natural." Having not read much into the topic, my initial thoughts are that hospital births must be much safer for the child and mother. Can someone help educate me?
I feel that hospitals are more modern than home births, but I admit that I have almost no knowledge of how they happen. Is anesthesia used? What about after the birth, is the baby then taken to a hospital? Is home birth a question of safety at all or merely culture?
I've been writing and deleting this post several times over the past hundred pages of this thread and finally I just decided to go with it.

Some context, my mother has 5 children, 3 were hospital births and 2 home births. I actually cut the umbilical on my younger sister, as she was born in my parent's bedroom on their bed and I was old enough to be aware/helpful. My mother was pretty darn crunchy about anything that's motherhood related, cloth diapered and breastfed, the whole 9 yards.

She had her first and second child in the hospital, natural delivery. For my brother and sister who were home births, she simply had found a midwife that made her comfortable and confident about it, while simultaneously having gotten a handle on what she could reasonably expect from her body during the birthing process. For her 5th child, we had long since moved out of that house and she wanted to try a different technique, and also try out a new birthing center that had opened in the neighborhood.

My wife and I are expecting our first child in May, my wife is an avid reader of this thread but she prefers to lurk. We're not going with a home birth and honestly my mother discouraged us from considering it. That is because she understands that we are different people, and we are not seeking that experience. I spoke to my father about his opinions, and his feelings were really mixed. For the first child he recommended a hospital, as they will hold your hand and direct you, guide you through everything because that is their job and you're just a patient to them.

However, he said that they really regretted going back to the hospitals after the home birth experience because they gave up all the control they had over the process. The hospital staff has a business to run, it's sad but true that the US medical system is not a for-patient enterprise. It is for-profit and they are not going to give you the freedom or flexibility a midwife will in your own home. My parents got to do all their weird hippie poo poo, like burying the placenta underneath the roots of a new willow tree in the back yard (and letting their oldest son cut the cord for his baby sister). They got to do it their way.

That's what you should take away from the discussion RE: home birth.
This is assuming that you and your medical professional agree that there is not a MEDICAL reason that you need to be in a hospital for the birth of your baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU