Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Yeah, my first positive test result was super pale 4 days after a missed period, and 3 days later the second test had a very, very noticeable line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

My obgyn does the first ultrasound at 8 weeks, then the 20 week anatomy scan and one during the third trimester. I was flagged as high risk, so I also got monthly ultrasound checkups in addition to monthly obgyn visits. During my last month of pregnancy, I was scheduled for weekly ultrasounds (which I never got because he was born a month early lol). I'm extremely prone to worrying about anything and everything, and honestly it was very reassuring to be repeatedly told that everything was perfectly fine.

My favorite was week 32, we saw him smile and then immediately stick his entire hand in his mouth :allears:

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

nesbit37 posted:

My wife's number for the preliminary test was high, then she did the 3 hour test and everything came back pretty much in the middle of normal. I wouldn't freak out just yet.

This is basically what happened to me too; the 1-hour test was high, and the results at hours 2 and 3 for the 3-hour test were at the low end of normal.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

We've been super happy with our combo car seat/stroller, the Doona ones look fancy as hell but we went with a cheaper Graco set.

With diaper bags, it really depends on what you already have on hand and what you're looking for. I got a diaper backpack and I love it, but I didn't own any backpacks with a decent number of compartments/pockets. For me, the most important part is keeping a lot of stuff immediately accessible without having to dig through the bag at all; I can instantly pull out a phone, wallet, keys, mask, binkie, etc.

We hate IoT sorta stuff, so we picked up the Hubble Nursery View Pro and it's been pretty solid. No wifi, it's just a camera with a paired handheld screen thing

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I was 36 when our first kid was born, conceived after only a few months of trying. I had a wholly uneventful pregnancy until preeclampsia emerged in week 37, and we now have a healthy and adorable lil munchkin. Meanwhile my sister started trying at 32 and went through several failed rounds of IVF (though thankfully she now has two kids). Everyone's different :shrug:

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

If getting a hold of you health insurance's customer service is a pain, you could also ask her obgyn at her next appointment. I'm in NJ, and there was some sort of form that a lactation counselor was kind enough to fill out for me shortly after I gave birth.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

I didn't have a choice in the matter after my c-section; he spent the first 24 hours in the NICU. We otherwise would've kept him in the room the entire time just out of a sense of obligation, but once he was out of the woods (he could fully breathe on his own and ate a bit about 8 hours after birth), we realized that we really needed the rest anyway. For kid #2, I'd definitely use the nursery for at least a little while.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

We had just about everything on hand (but not assembled), and at the beginning of week 36 we decided to use the following weekend to get everything in order: assemble furniture, set up the baby's room, pack the go bag for the hospital. It was a 3-day weekend thanks to the 4th of July; it was the perfect time!

So obviously, we were in the hospital that Saturday evening with none of that done, and the baby was delivered July 4th :v:

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Around the six week mark, our baby's pooping schedule suddenly shifted from multiple per day to every 1-2 days.

His weight percentile was low teens at birth, but he was born a few weeks early. By 2 months, he was 80th for weight and has been following that curve ever since (10 months old now), so he basically caught up to his height being 99th percentile. If you're feeding your baby when they're hungry, and they're peeing and pooping normally, they'll get to whatever weight they need to be.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

froglet posted:

I went in for a routine checkup on Tuesday, got sent to fetal monitoring for a bit, then was told to forget about going back to work in the afternoon, coz I'd be sleeping at the hospital that night.

Turns out the "feet swelling up overnight" thing isn't just a normal pregnancy thing, it's an indication of pre-eclampsia. :smith:

Anyway, tomorrow I hit 37 weeks, and they'll start the eviction process for the little bludger on Thursday.

This... Is really not how I hoped things would go, but it sure beats dying! That and these past few weeks I've felt quite rubbish, and I've been reassured all of that will go away once the wee lad has been turfed out of me. :unsmith:

... I feel woefully unprepared :ohdear:

This is almost exactly what happened to me (admitted to the hospital a day before 37 weeks with preeclampsia, started induction); don't let yourself worry too much, you're gonna do great!!

We felt 100% caught off guard and unprepared, but he's our first and I think we still would've felt like that even if he didn't come out early. A lot of things will just start falling into place as soon as the lil baby pops out.

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Ultimately it's a very personal kinda decision, but I will say that a coworker had two boys, tried for a third to have a girl, and had twin boys instead

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

We used emery boards on our little guy's nails for the first month or two, because we were way too nervous about clipping them lol

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Hadlock posted:

Mylicon degassing drops are awesome. They basically eliminate surface tension of bubbles and the gas turns into tiny foam bubbles and everything just kind of flows. It's inert, and not processed by the body so, while you shouldn't give them more than the recommended dose, don't worry about giving them a half dose just give them the full dose, as often as recommended on the bottle

Man, I just wanna say that I've been keeping Mylicon stocked in our medicine cabinet since the kid was born over a year ago, and it's still such a lifesaver omg. Lately he's been gassy at night, we're trying to narrow down the cause but in the meantime it's cool as hell to have what feels like magical drops to get him from wailing to calmed down to asleep within 10-15 minutes

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Currently in month 11 of being sick all the time

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

As for other things, and I could be off on this, a big one is comfortable maternity clothes. We had a ton of handmedowns from well-off family and my wife’s life was made a LOT easier by having lots of high quality and functional maternity wear.

My husband got me a nice, comfy bathrobe with good-sized pockets while I was pregnant, and it's easily one of the best pregnancy/parenthood gifts I received.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

One of my biggest takeaways from giving birth is that there's basically nothing new or untested at this point. Whenever something felt weird or painful during my pregnancy, I'd look it up and it'd turn out to be something totally normal that a bunch of people experience. Tens of millions of people have babies every year, and with the internet there's information out there for every single aspect of childbirth, including the idea of using fisting to prepare ahead of time

Just do whatever you two wanna do in the bedroom and don't waste your time justifying it as training/practice/etc imo