Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

The Wormy Guy posted:

So first question: Can anyone recommend to me the best prenatal vitamin for my wife to take? Preferably something I can buy at the store, or if online I guess we can wait. We don't need a doctor to recommend one, right?

I can't rave about them enough, but I love to take the gummy prenatals. It's the only way that I can remember to take them because it's like my last treat before bed time. My OB said they were fine as long as I was getting 1000mcg of folic acid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Yeah there's a one-a-day prenatal that has a separate bottle of DHA capsules bundled with it. I took that one while pregnant because my midwife wanted me to take an extra DHA vitamin and this was easy to get at Walgreens.

Same here, which is why I went with the gummis. They include DHA in with all the prenatal goodness that comes with it in one chewy.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Fionnoula posted:

Target now carries a budget Bravado line in stores called Basics by Bravado. They have a bra that's very similar to the one FITD just linked, but a bit cheaper and you can try it on in store. There's a nice nursing camisole in the Basics By Bravado line as well. The main difference I see between the Bravado line and the Basics by Bravado line is that the Basics ones seem a little thinner and a bit stretchier. Also, they don't have to Uber PLUS PLUS size that Bravado has, but due to the increased stretchiness, I haven't found it to be a problem that I'm wearing one size smaller. My kid is almost 4 and hasn't nursed in over 3 years, and I'm wearing a nursing bra right now. So comfy.

This. Also if you're concerned about getting bigger as time goes on, just get bigger bras for now. I'm also at 17 weeks and I just went to Target's intimates clearance rack and bought a few a band and cup size up for $4-6 and it's so much more comfy than my old ones.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Brennanite posted:

Ooo, those are all good suggestions. Turns out Old Navy and Gap maternity items are on sale today, so I picked up a couple of nice shirts, a swimsuit and a dress for my graduation. Hopefully I'll be able to find some shorts at Penney's over the weekend and finally have clothes that fit again. Hurray!

Also, ChloroformSeduction, yoga pants are awesome and if I didn't live on the surface of the sun, I would never wear anything else. Instead, getting dressed is a delicate balance between naked and work-appropriate.

Never be pregnant in the summer. :(

I'd have to disagree on being pregnant over the summer, at least in Indiana. I would much rather be able to run around in skirts/shorts/tank tops than have to wear 80 million layers of clothes and worry about falling on the ice and busting my rear end.

Another suggestion I have is to keep an eye on Motherhood Maternity's sales. I've been a few times and picked up some maternity jeans and pants for BOGO marked down to $15.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Bahunter22 posted:

A question though: Did anyone have trouble in the beginning feeling detached from their pregnancy? Don't get me wrong, I'm psyched about it, but I just don't feel like its real and the 7 tests I've taken and the vast array of symptoms should be all I need to get me by. It just feels like I'm in someone else's life and I'll wake up in my old life any second now.

Congrats, I know you've been trying for awhile.

I have been feeling constant kicking for about 2.5 weeks now, but I still feel pretty detached. I don't know if that will ever change until I have a screaming, kicking, hungry child to care for.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

Does anyone know of a good book for expectant dads? I want to get my husband one as his first father's day gift.

My husband has "Dad's Pregnant, Too!" and loves it. I read through it and it's funny while still trying to impart that the women get the worst end of the deal. The author also has forums and a weekly "what's going on with the pregnancy" emails as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

bamzilla posted:

Personally, if you're not scheduled for an ultrasound it's just a waste of time. You have to wait a while to get an ultrasound so sitting around is boring and in the end you'll likely end up with a photo like this:

which was the best one of the bunch :mad: That was around 23 weeks though so maybe if your SO is further along the baby won't have as much room to wiggle around and cover their face.

I had one done cause I was scheduled for an ultrasound anyway for other issues not related to the pregnancy.

I waited until almost 30 weeks. It was actually really fun, and I didn't have to wait at all. Most of the pictures came out really well, and if you have a tech who knows how to move the arm out of the way of their face, it can be pretty rewarding as long as you aren't creeped out by "melting baby" face. It was a good hour drive to this place but I haven't regretted it once.

Here's a video. He goes back and forth with his hands in his face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VS3oAqPx9wE

and a picture from the same session. He opened his eyes (which you can see on the video at about 2 mins in) and this is the still image of it.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Aericina fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Jul 29, 2011