Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I was told to fast after midnight and I had my test at 8am. I did the same when I went for the 3 hour test.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Congrats on the new baby, AllistairCookie! I'm sorry to say that you are describing the exact pain I felt, complete with toe-curling, for the first month. :( Everyone here has always said to stick it out for 6 weeks, and I did, and it got better. There were days that I cried every time he started crying for a feed because I dreaded it so badly. I wore medela gel pads on my nipples to soothe the pain and keep my nipples from brushing against my clothing. I thought I never be able to go braless again, but you can call me Old Leather Nips now. It WILL get better. You can do it!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

A Serious Woman posted:

Like, will my supply regulate and stop choking her? Will she not eat for an hour at a time?

Yes and yes. Both of these things happened for me at around 6 weeks. Nate choked on the letdown from my right boob a lot and it just stopped happening one day. And like FITD said, once we got side-lying nursing figured out, it became so much easier because I could nap while he ate. We still do that most afternoons. I don't blame you for wanting some help with feedings. I still wish I could do that some days even now, but my little dude refuses all bottles and I think pumping sucks balls. I told myself I'd get to 6 weeks and I did, and now I am trying to get to 6 months (only 3 more weeks!).

You are doing great! Hang in there!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

MarshallX, a baby's stomach is very small in the first couple weeks! Here's a good summary of what size it is on what day: http://typeaparent.com/infant-stomach-size-and-growth.html

This is why babies need frequent feeds. A good resource for all things breastfeeding is kellymom.com. I'd also suggest that you try finger feeding or feeding from a cup instead of using the bottle so early on. This will give your wife the best chance of being successful with nursing. Nipple confusion is a real thing, and you certainly don't want that to happen!

Edit: Did you give your MIL the boot?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Good_Vs_Evil posted:

So, guys (or ladies, you can answer for your guys):

How long did you take off of work? I'm mostly interested in U.S. men because I know European and Canadian systems offer you something like time off until your child hits puberty at half pay or something, but not so much in the U.S.. I know that I'm legally allowed to take 3 months off without being fired, but I'm curious what you guys did. Would you have liked to take more time off, or less, or was it the right amount?

Moms: What was the most helpful thing your guy did for you post-pregnancy?

I'm thinking that, barring a difficult pregnancy that requires special care and hoping the baby is healthy, the best things I can do are make sure that my wife can get some sleep, take care of things around the house, and run interference on family. Any other suggestions?

My husband took 5 weeks off. I had a c-section so his help was essential in the first couple weeks. Weeks 3-4 sucked sucked sucked for breastfeeding and he was the one that got me through. He rubbed my back when it felt like I had a shark on my boob all day and took the baby away immediately after a feed to handle diaper and cuddle duty. I was so done with being touched with all the cluster feeding. So do that to help. If she's nursing, do all the other stuff. Diapering, making meals, household chores, etc so she can snooze a bit between baby meals. He got up with me nearly every time the baby woke at night to make sure I had everything I needed (boppy, water, extra pillows to sit up with, the baby, my phone). Be that guy. Anticipate her needs, and let her nap.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We didnt tell anybody until he was born. It's hard to make snide comments about the name ("oh I knew a guy with that name who was a real jerk") when you have a live cute baby right there.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

Pardon my very naive question, but quite a few posters have mentioned taking a shower after their water breaks and before going to the hospital. Why is that important?

Because when your water breaks you're covered in fluids and it's gross. Its an unbelievable amount of fluid in there. Also, you might be in labor for a while and if things go pear-shaped, maybe you won't get another shower for a day or two. Might as well clean yourself up while you can.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Oracle posted:

Its not up to you to deal with it, its up to them. Your news exists independent of their status. There is no reason you can't still be friends with those people, no reason to stop talking to them, not invite them to the shower etc. It is up to them to decide how to react, what they can handle, whether or not they want to talk to you.

Since you do have a rather more empathetic perspective on it, having had the shoe on the other foot so to speak, you could try thinking about what you would have wanted them to say to you, or how you would have wanted to have been treated, but honestly? They're adults. Any issues they have with it are solely theirs.

Yes, they're adults, but I don't think it would hurt to be a little more sensitive to the situation. I know that sometimes your conversations will often turn to the new baby on the way, but maybe with these folks, make an extra effort to find other topics of discussion. Not that you should avoid the baby chat altogether, but minimize it when you're socializing with the folks having trouble.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Banana Cat, you may want to consider disposables when you're traveling. I don't know how long your trips would be, but schlepping a bunch of cloth with you on a plane is going to be a pain, because for all their awesomeness, they take up a lot of space in your bag and you'll want to pack way more than you think you'll need in case of delays and cancellations.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Gumby Orgy posted:

Do pregnancy spanx have a built-in pee hole? I always ended up having to take spanx off when I had to pee or risk peeing on it, despite the pee hole.

If you can't pee in a regular set of spanx at regular size, how in the name of Jesus do you think you're going to manage when you're the size of a small whale? Think for a minute.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

MoCookies posted:

I'm confused about the pros/cons of getting antibiotics during labor, with regards to trying to prevent group B strep infection in a newborn. I don't know if I'm GBS+ yet, but I've had a hard time coming across any reputable-looking info on the side-effects. Most everything I've found simply says that GBS infection can be really bad in rare cases, so everybody gets antibiotics, and that's that. Personally, I'm not totally comfortable with the idea of pumping my newborn full of antibiotics, and my midwives are frustratingly neutral on the subject. They did warn me that if I need to be transferred to the hospital for some reason (instead of giving birth in the birth center), then there would be a lot of pressure from the hospital staff to simply have the antibiotics. At the birth center, it's totally my choice.

Has anybody else been given this choice?

There's lots of info at the CDC's website: http://www.cdc.gov/groupbstrep/references.html

I tested negative, but if I hadn't, I would have gotten the antibiotics. It's a low risk way to prevent a potentially fatal illness in your baby.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Crazy Old Clarice posted:

tl,dr: I am throwing myself a pity party because I have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes.

Whatup GD buddy. I remember feeling very angry about getting GD and then sad because omnomnom I love carbs and dieting is a real pain in the rear end and I was supposed to be able to eat food because I was pregnant dammit. This passed after a few weeks, maybe less, and it just became the new normal.

My nurse educator said I was supposed to eat 30 carbs for breakfast, but anything more than 15 or 20 always spiked my sugar like crazy in the morning. I ate a lot of eggs and bacon and cheese. I used to eat small portions of fruit as my snacks because I only tested after meals, so I wouldnt see if I had a spike after the fruit and feel guilty. Never more than a few times a week, and I never overdid it with way too much fruit, just a reasonable portion.

If you're a fan of pasta, see if your grocery store has barilla plus brand. It has added protein and I found that I never had any problems eating it and having a normal BG reading at dinnertime.

Bonus of the GD diet: I only gained 11 lbs my whole pregnancy because my weight gain stalled for several weeks after I started on the diet. The doctor told me that it was nothing to worry about as long as my belly was growing. And it certainly was.

If you're on the Facebook group (linked in the first post of this thread, I think), my name is Leslie if you want to talk more. There are a few ladies with full-time diabetes that were really helpful to me too.

Post-birth, my BG was totally normal. I had lovely hospital pancakes for breakfast and they tasted so good after months without any. And my doula brought me a fancy cupcake because I mentioned during labor that I couldn't wait to eat cake and frosting again.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Seriously, worrying about hair and makeup is ridiculous. You will have a baby and you only get one shot at genuine, unstaged "I just had a baby" pictures. Just take the drat pictures, you guys, if only for yourself.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Gumby Orgy posted:

ETA: Anyone had experience with these two conditions during pregnancy: hyperemesis gravidarium and urinary tract infection?

Nope. No one in the history of pregnancy has ever had these problems.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Lyz posted:

Congrats! That must have been a minor heart attack to see the kid up on the monitor!

Went in for an ultrasound today to make sure everything was okay for my little kiddo (now 5 days overdue) and he got a perfect health score. And after being only 1cm for four weeks my cervix is 2cm! They scheduled me for an induction Monday night but the OB doesn't think I'll make it that long.

Work kicked me out and now I'm sitting at home, just twiddling my thumbs... fun fun. Aaaaaaaaaaaaany minute/hour/day now....

Why did they schedule the induction?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

You sound completely mentally unprepared to have another child. Why the rush? Get some (more) therapy. Not everyone is meant to have multiple kids. I know its going to be quite some time before I'm ready (if I ever am) and I have had a really easy time of it.

With no support system, I'd say no way are you going to have an easy time. Is there any point where you guys plan to move back near family?

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

My brother and I also had asthma and ear infections and when my parents finally quit smoking, our acute symptoms went away. My dad grew up with chain-smoking parents, and smoked himself for 15-ish years and he's got emphysema now and he's not even 60 yet. My mom, who smoked a lot longer than my dad, but didn't have chain-smoking parents, has no respiratory symptoms at this point.

I also avoid going to my MIL's house because her smoking has permeated the whole house and everything in it. She sent home a tupperware dish with food once and the dish smelled like smoke and cheap air fresheners. So she comes to my house to see the baby.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Ben Davis posted:

My doc said that he wanted to induce me at 39 weeks (I'm 32 now) because of my gestational diabetes. I know often inductions are recommended if the baby looks like it's getting absolutely huge, but if I control my diet well and he's not big, is that something that usually still gets pushed? Does the placenta degrade any faster because of the GDM? I feel like he mentioned this, but hell if I can remember it now.

Mine wanted to do the same at 38 weeks. I refused on the grounds that my sugar and diet were well controlled and the baby was only measuring very slightly ahead. I ended up inducing at 40w4d because my BP was too high, and still ended up with a c-section. He wasn't ready to come out and if the BP hadn't been an issue I would have waited the weekend at least. You get to make this choice. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

ETA: My baby was a very average 7lb 12oz even though the U/S I had the day before was estimating between 8.5 to 11 lbs.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Mnemosyne posted:

I feel the same way and I thought it was probably crazy too. Something about the whole Pitocin idea just doesn't sit right with me. My choices at this point are down to either letting nature take it's course, or scheduling a C-section, with basically nothing in between. Of course, the hospital I'm going to deliver at has the highest C-section rate around here (between 45% and 70%, depending on whose numbers you're using), so delivering there is almost tantamount to choosing a C-section in the first place. A huge number of those C-sections are women who were induced and "failed to progress," so they moved on to C-section.

It IS crazy. I was present at 2 successful inductions. It all went according to plan: pitocin started at 7am and baby was out no later than 3pm. My own was a failure and A C-SECTION IS NO loving FUN, OK GUYS? I would have been happy to take hours of agony instead of a few weeks of it every time I turned wrong in the bed, or laughed or coughed or picked up the baby wrong. And I think I was lucky because I was fully unconscious during mine. Being awake while they gut you like a fish and tug around sounds awful. Push the baby out of your vagina if you can, for the love of god. A c-section is not some neat, painless way to avoid vaginal birth. I spent a few hours in recovery unable to see through the pain, unable to hold or nurse my baby. I was lucky that I managed to successfully breastfeed and had a month of help from my husband afterwards. Not everyone is so lucky.

Holy gently caress, I had a lot to say about that. C-sections should be for emergencies, not convenience.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I also had a "great" c-section, with minimal recovery time compared to some. It doesn't mean it didn't suck rear end and having one is a cakewalk. It's still major surgery with much higher risks.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

me your dad posted:

Our baby is 8 days old now and both my wife and I are utterly miserable. We're both having crying jags on a near-daily basis and I feel very hopeless that things are going to get better. I feel a huge loss from the freedom we enjoyed before, even if that freedom meant just quietly relaxing at home. Somehow I don't resent the baby but I am worried we made a huge mistake in deciding on doing this. Our lives were great and now I feel like everything is ruined. I feel like I'm grieving.

I also feel like we're on house arrest because we don't want the baby to get sick before the six week mark. So we're trapped in our house, which suddenly seems too small, and our car suddenly seems too small, and I'm having trouble coping with everything.

People say, "Get out of the house - let your spouse get out of the house." My wife told me today to go have a beer with a friend but I'm afraid to leave my wife alone because I'll probably feel guilty about burdening her with the baby. And we can't go out together because we're waiting for that six week period to pass. And she can't go out by herself because the doctor told her not to drive because she's recovering from a C-Section and on Percoset.

I just don't know how this is going to get better. We went to the pediatrician today, and I let her know we were having a lot of trouble coping. I started crying in the office and she recommended I speak to a doctor. But I'm worried it would be a fix for something which might resolve itself in a couple weeks when I hopefully adjust to this change.

I took her upstairs a moment ago to change her and I couldn't stop thinking, "What the gently caress were we thinking? What the gently caress were we thinking? How the gently caress could we have thought this was a good idea?"

I hate it that I feel this way. I really expected this to feel different.

Why are you waiting to leave the house for 6 weeks? Is your baby medically fragile due to complications or something? My husband was home with me for 5 weeks post-partum, and we went somewhere every day. A trip to Target, a doctor's appointment, a local parade, you name it, we were looking for ways to get out. We would have gone mad if we just stayed in the house looking at each other for a month.

ETA: There's no shame in getting help from your doctor. Waiting a few weeks to see if it's better seems like a recipe for disaster. Two weeks is a LONG time in the newborn period. Maybe the doctor will give you some meds to help you through this time. It's not a failure on your part unless you choose not to get treatment to the detriment of your relationship and child.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 21, 2011

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

me your dad posted:

No the baby is totally healthy. It's just been drilled into our heads that if we step outside and this baby catches any kind of illness, it'll mean an instant trip to the ER for spinal taps and all other sorts of awful poo poo. We're afraid to visit friends and afraid to go to the store.

It's funny too that you mention Target because our doctor today said we should avoid places like Target where tons of people are. My wife wants to go to a local baby clothes store and we were talking about how she could run in and I would wait in the car with the baby.

That seems extreme. It's not like you'll be passing him around to strangers or he's big enough to lick a shopping cart. Babywear or swat at old ladies' hands if he's in the stroller and they try to touch him.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Most babies have a little stump that takes about 10-ish days to fall off. It looks and smells gross by then, so maybe you guys just got lucky and can avoid the stinky stump.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

The Young Marge posted:

Aw, what a cute little glowbaby!

Mine just came back after only 8 weeks. What a delightful surprise. I though I had at least a few months since I'm exclusively breastfeeding. I really hope my milk stays put.

Mine was back at 10 weeks and every 4 weeks after like clockwork even though I exclusively breastfed until 6 months. I'm still nursing at 15 months!

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Lyz posted:

Gotta enjoy the happy moments while we can, next week he'll hit the magical 12 week mark where we can start sleep training and a gradual weaning to the cosleeper. My hips and back can't take much more of sleeping with a baby in the bed.

What kind of sleep training are you doing? Nate was sleeping really well at that age, but at 6 months it all went to poo poo, so we've been cosleeping since, which I find is awesome for us both getting enough sleep these days.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Bouncy seat! It's easy to shove in the car if you're going to visit people and will need a place to set the kid for a bit.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Thia posted:

Thanks for all the advice on baby supplies everyone! I am planning on baby wearing and pumping when I go back to work. I'd seen multiple recommendations for the Moby wrap and Medela Pump in Style so I'll probably end up with those.

As far as morning sickness, I had it from about 6-9 weeks and it went away almost completely at 10. Then it came back for about a week at 12 weeks and now it's gone again. So I do think everyone's different!

I'm trying to decide if I'm going back to work full time or part time. I just graduated nursing school last May and I love my job but I want to spend time with the baby too. We're going to start researching different daycare options soon. I really would love to stay home full time, but I really think I would end up missing my work, and I definitely would feel out of touch and like a brand new nurse again if I went back a year or more after leaving. Plus it wouldn't be the best financial decision for us. I think it's often a tough decision in any situation.

My sister-in-law is a nurse and she works 3 12 hour shifts a week. Those 12 hour days are long, but then she's home most of the week with the kids. Depending on how she's scheduled, sometimes she's home for up to 5 days in a row. And she always works at least one weekend day, so the kids are only at their daycare 2 days a week max because their dad is home on the weekend. It's a nice compromise, if you can swing it.

Here's my baby chasing ducks.

Chickalicious fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jan 15, 2012

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We have an oil-filled radiator type space heater. There are no exposed heating elements and it automatically shuts off if it tips. Ours has a digital readout that allows you to set it at a specific temp, instead of just vague low, medium and high settings. We turn the central heat off at night and turn on the space heater in our bedroom and keep the door shut. Everyone is warm and we're not heating an empty house all night.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Bank posted:

My wife is more worried about health (dry skin, dehydration) than the house burning down.

I skimmed right past this. This is silly. Get some lotion and a $20 humidifier. Babies don't sleep soundly if they're too cold or too hot. If you keep your room that cold, you'll have luxurious skin and a squalling baby. :thumbsup:

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

I was wondering if anyone had their gallbladder taken out after they'd given birth. How long after did you wait and do you wish you would have waited longer or done it sooner? I am thinking I'd like mine out as soon as possible and some people on the internet have said they had it out the same day they delivered. I don't know if I'd do this, but I'd hate to have to be incapacitated twice in one year and think it might be the smarter option. Opinions?

My gallbladder started going south when I was 5-ish months pregnant. I had 2 attacks when I was pregnant and they told me that unless it became infected, they wouldn't operate until I had the baby. I ended up having it removed when my son was 8 months old because a stone moved from the gallbladder into the bile duct and I couldn't put it off any longer. I ended up spending nearly a week in the hospital because they had to do a couple procedures to try to get the stone out that didn't involve gutting me like a fish. The day I had the gallbladder removed, I nursed my son at 10:30am and didn't nurse him again until 7 that evening. I was SO nauseous and in so much pain, that I couldn't deal. I was lucky that he was on solids some, so my husband kept him home and fed him food and he was fine without the boob because I wasn't around, I guess. As soon as he brought him back to me, he was so happy to nurse.

It was a long week, and I wish I had gotten it out sooner, but I definitely would still wait until I had breastfeeding established and was used to having a baby around. Also, don't necessarily take the word of the nurses about what meds are safe with breastfeeding. I was clear with my surgeon and anesthesiologist that I would not be able to go very long without nursing and we needed a plan to use meds that were ok with it. The nurses were all very wary of me nursing with whatever antibiotic and pain meds they gave me, so I insisted on talking with the hospital pharmacist, who said it was fine and they had specifically picked those because my surgeon talked with him about my nursing the baby. And the anesthesiologist told me that the meds he gave me might make him a bit sleepy, but once I'm awake it's almost all out of my system. Advocate for yourself and your baby if breastfeeding is important to you. Don't let anyone bully you into believing nursing mothers can't take any meds ever and surgery means you have to wean.

On a less scary note, my 77 year old grandmother had her gallbladder out the day before Thanksgiving and she was home and fine within a couple hours. I had a pretty complicated case, so it was a little more difficult.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

I brought a towel and it was glorious. I actually brought two, one for me and one for my husband. They were dark green and dark brown, so no worries about bloodstains. The hospital towels are barely useful for wrapping your hair up.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Bodnoirbabe posted:

So another annoying thing people seem to do that no one warns you about : Ask if you've had the baby yet.

This past week, I've been inundated with people asking me by text or facebook if they baby is there yet? Has your water broken? Hurry up and give birth already! WHEN ARE YOU GOING TO HAVE THE KID?!?!

It's getting super loving annoying. Why the gently caress would I hide the birth from anyone? Just chill the gently caress out, I technically have two weeks left before the kid is even DUE, much less past due. He'll get here when he gets here!

38 weeks today and I feel a lot less stress. I've worked my butt off the past couple of weeks to make sure the house is ready and we have everything. Pretty much everything is done and I feel more relaxed for it. The kid can come at anytime and we wont be scrambling.

You haven't talked to a lot of pregnant women or something. This happens to everyone. It's annoying.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Bahunter22 posted:

Yes. They're turning white after she's done, then they burn for a few minutes after and then the color returns to normal. They're also often squished into the shape of her mouth for a bit when she's done.

I had this exact thing happen to me in the first month. How old is your kid again? It seemed to resolve as his mouth got bigger so he could get a deeper latch.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Aqua Hamster posted:

I just don't want to get her in the habit of only falling asleep if she's going to be going on a car ride or something. Right now we don't have a thing to carry her on our chest or whatever, but it's something I'm looking at with my next check/tax return. She loved laying on my chest while I pat her back, usually she falls right asleep, but last night/this morning she wasn't going to have any of it.

It's going to be many months before any sleep habits are formed. So right now, you do what works as long as it is safe.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Prolonged Shame posted:

I have a question re: supply. Is it possible to increase your supply later in a baby's life? I was breastfeeding and pumping for the first ten days I had him, then went back into the hospital with a horrific infection under my c-section incision. After pumping and dumping for 6 weeks due to two surgeries, an 8 day hospital stay, and some hardcore IV antibiotics I was finally able to nurse him again. Unfortunately, I can't even come close to keeping up with his appetite. He's 10 weeks and downing 30-36 oz per day. I can pump maybe 6 oz/day if I'm lucky. I know formula isn't rat poison and he's thriving on it, measuring in the 90th percentiles for height and weight, but I'd like him to have more milk.

You absolutely can. Here's some info on Kellymom. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/low-supply.html#increase

Are you nursing him at all? The baby will be more efficient at getting milk than your pump. Put him on the breast as often as possible.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

VorpalBunny posted:

For names, my husband has a Vandelier and a Daniel Nathaniel in his family tree. I am tempted to go for the latter, but the former is too wacky even for me.

My son is named after my father, and if we have another it will be named after either my grandmother or my uncle. All are deceased, so naming my children after them feels like a great way to honor their memory.

I dated a Daniel Nathaniel in high school. :raise:

Edit: He was Daniel Nathaniel LastName IV. I guess if he ever has kids there will be a V too.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Helanna posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book on breastfeeding? Feel like I should probably read up a bit on it. Only 27 weeks at the moment, but doesn't hurt to be prepared!

http://store.llli.org/public/profile/414 All the La Leche League leaders recommend The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding. And get to a meeting or two if you can before the baby comes. I wish I had.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

Beichan posted:

Yeah, my baby never used a pacifier and we coslept and fed on demand day and night and I went ahead and had regular cycles anyway.

Same here. I tried so hard to get him to take a pacifier when he was nursing non-stop for comfort and it didn't work. My period came back like clockwork. Don't be stupid and expect to use breastfeeding as birth control. That way lies madness (and more pregnancies).

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

zonohedron posted:

So Andrew's a month old, and has started doing something new - some of the time when he's done nursing, rather than unlatching he'll pull his head back as far as he can until the nipple pops out of his mouth. It really, really hurts when he does that, but I'm not really sure what I can do to discourage it, besides noticing that he seems to be done nursing and breaking his latch with my finger so that when he moves his head the nipple doesn't go with it. My mom suggested gently tapping his forehead, but I'm not sure that he's old enough to connect that to what he just did, or that a forehead tap would count as discouragement if he did understand that it was connected.

Also, on the breastfeeding-and-pregnancy thing - has anyone used the fertility awareness method to avoid pregnancy while exclusively breastfeeding? I'm not doing "ecological" breastfeeding (we can't cosleep and sometimes we give Andrew a pacifier), but I otherwise meet the LAM criteria, and I used FAM for four years prior to (purposefully) getting pregnant so I'm not new to the method, just to using it with a baby around.

1. Don't physically hurt your baby, especially your one month old. Your mom is giving you bad advice.

2. I said it in my last post, but expecting to be able to track your cycles properly while breastfeeding is why there are people with kids that are less than 18 months apart. If you're ok with that, more power to you. If you're not, be a grown up and use some kind of birth control.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

vanessa posted:

We got a Moby wrap during one of our baby showers, and it came in this cute little drawstring bag. I've washed the wrap and am now trying to figure out the best way to store it.

Parents who have a Moby, how do you store it? Is there an easy way to fold or roll it up smaller, or am I stuck just tossing it in a drawer or on a shelf? I've already given up hope on using the drawstring bag to store it and will likely just use that for storing a couple of toys when we go places.

Also, did any of you have any intuition about when your baby would arrive, and were you right? I've got this feeling that my baby will arrive closer to 37 weeks than to 40 weeks, and it's been hard making sure I don't get too excited or expectant (or panicky, because I just hit 36 weeks and it feels like we aren't remotely close to prepared even though we have the bassinet and diapers, and all the blankets and clothes have been washed and put away).

I had a moby and never managed to get it back in that bag. I used to just roll it up and shove it in the diaper bag. I haven't used it in a long time since my son got too big for it, so I just folded it in half a couple times and it's on a hanger in the closet.