Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

LuckyDaemon posted:

And is there anyone who attempted natural childbirth without taking classes?

I had 3 babies naturally with no classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

starshine posted:

Question for those who have done the hour-long glucose test: did you have to fast or prepare for it in any way?

I would call and ask. When I did the hour glucose tests with my first two pregnancies, I was told to fast. I didn't do it the 3rd time around so maybe the recommendation has changed, but I'd call to make sure.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I found the easiest way to cut baby nails & kid nails is to use scissors instead of clippers. I've never accidentally cut their fingers when using scissors.

I like these ones: http://www.amazon.com/Tweezerman-Yellow-Baby-Nail-Scissors/dp/B000G686X6/ref=sr_1_8?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1298324957&sr=1-8

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
My kids all hated to be swaddled. I didn't do it. They also never cared for the seahorse.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Fire In The Disco posted:

I'm not familiar with that one-- is it an actual prenatal and not just a women's vitamin? The extra folic acid in prenatals is very important.

Yeah there's a one-a-day prenatal that has a separate bottle of DHA capsules bundled with it. I took that one while pregnant because my midwife wanted me to take an extra DHA vitamin and this was easy to get at Walgreens.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
My kid also won't take a bottle. I've tried like 5 different bottles (adiri, playtex drop-in, avent, dr brown, nuk) and no luck. I have left her with her dad 4 times for 2+ hours and she just always waits until I get back to nurse.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

A Serious Woman posted:

I have a question for folks about cosleeping. We've been cosleeping since Zoey was born and it's starting to kill my neck and shoulders. I'm overly conscious about having her in the bed and as a result, I'm not tossing or turning very much. I tried to transition her to the bassinet last night but it was largely unsuccessful. After crying for about 5 minutes, I pulled her into the bed with me. I'm not sure if being in the bassinet is harder on her or me! :( How do I transition an infant to a bassinet when she seems completely uninterested in it? Am I stuck sleeping with her until she gets a bit older? I love having her in the bed with me, I just need her out for the sake of my neck and shoulders.

Do you have a crib you could sidecar to your bed?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

AlistairCookie posted:

Since it doesn't hurt to pump, I feel like we are doing something wrong, but I cannot fathom what. We'll keep trying.

Sometimes their latch is bad simply because their mouths are too small. I didn't have any pain at all with my first two kids. With Julia, it did hurt for a couple weeks but it got better quickly. I hope it gets better for you too.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Sometimes the baby would push up against my belly in a way that made it feel hard but it wasn't a tightening all over.

If you're concerned, you can definitely get it checked out.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

AlistairCookie posted:

Edit: Question--Uneven milk production. I have noticed that my right side way out-produces my left. I would chalk it up to uneven stimulation or something (even though I really try to keep them even), but I also noticed it when I pumped exclusively for Midget. I noticed it this time since I'm pumping once or twice a day as well as nursing directly. Is this normal? Does it matter? I only care this time since I'm actually nursing--before I didn't care because I figured it was all going into the same bottle anyway, regardless of source. Should I let Liam on the right (heavier) side longer? Or the left (lighter) side longer to prompt it to make more? Or just not worry about it?

Just don't worry about it. Very normal.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Here's some good information about pumping:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/maintainsupply-pump.html

The http://www.kellymom.com website in general is great for breastfeeding questions.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Fire In The Disco posted:

It depends-- did they give a reason? While it's true that most women are ready at 6 weeks postpartum (and some before that), there are reasons why it should be avoided, which could be as simple as pain and discomfort for her.

She's not postpartum. She's pregnant.

Yes, that is odd advice, Whitey, for a typical pregnancy. Was she bleeding or having some sort of issue? If she's not at risk for miscarriage, I don't see why you'd have to wait to have sex.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Whitey Ford posted:

Sorry, 6 weeks pregnant
She has a family history of blighted ovum so she had an intervaginal ultrasound last Friday (5.5 weeks) that confirmed the egg sac is embedded in her uterus.

No history of miscarriage or bleeding.

Edit: Her sister obviously has the same family history and was not told the same thing through either of her pregnancies.

Did she ask the doctor why?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

MarshallX posted:

Oh my god, the breast shield was a godsend. It worked the first time we tried it with the Public Health Nurse after exhausting all other options for breast feeding. We just sat down to feed again and he went right on.

The nurse plans to help ween him off it in a few weeks, but for now, I can already see my wife's attitude change.

:woop: :woop:

Should Mom pump after breast feeding? Baby looks quite content but she said she still feels a bit heavy.

She doesn't have to pump unless she wants to save milk up; she can freeze the milk for later. If she's uncomfortable, she can express just a little so she doesn't increase her supply too much.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

foxatee posted:

A few things:
1) My mom has apparently been giving Peanut a pacifier on a regular basis. Although I'm not completely against the use of a pacifier in times of great duress, I didn't want to use them to avoid nipple confusion. Now that Peanut's been thoroughly exposed to them, does anyone know if pacifiers such as the Binky brand actually work as advertised? Should I just start weaning her off them, or am I over-reacting?

2) How can I keep the babe from scratching her face? We have several pairs of mittens, but the mittens-- they do nothing! Currently I have her in one of her long-sleeved outfits with a pair of socks over her hands and cuffs. This seems to be working, but I can't dress her like this forever. Help!

3) Nursing pads. Any preferences?

Julia was my only kid to use a pacifier and she really liked to suck and didn't want food sometimes so it worked out well. She hasn't used one in weeks and I didn't have to work to make her stop. She just stopped.

I just try to keep their nails super short to help with the scratching. They stop doing it pretty quickly in my experience.

I liked the Johnson's nursing pads best. The cloth ones I had leaked too much and were uncomfortably wet against me. Julia is almost 8 months old and I still leak if I don't wear them sometimes. Sucks.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

AlistairCookie posted:

Ah! Good ol' Nix--that's a blast from my childhood past. I didn't know they still made the stuff. Nothing like freezing my little 5 year old butt off in the bathtub while that crap sat on my rear end-length-but-not-after-this hair for however long and then having to sit still while my Mom ran that comb through my "so help me God Alistair, I'm cutting your hair" hair. :D Memories... My Dad got mad after that because he had just perfected de-tangling my hair and getting it into two even ponytails and then my Mom cut it off after the lice. This is the first good chuckle I've had all day, remembering that.

So Baby Wham has been screaming his fool head off for an hour now. We had shots this morning, and he was in a great mood after we got home. Jovial even...laughing at me singing Bunny Foo-foo to him no less! Went down for nap around 1:30, all hell broke loose at 2. Screaming...bad, inconsolable screaming. Nursing, bottle, walking, rocking, swinging, nothing. Finally fell into a fitful sleep laying belly down on my chest. I gave him some Tylenol in case it was the shots or something making his legs sore or making him feel bad otherwise. I have him barely asleep right now belly down on my bed. Yeah I know...tummy down=bad. But I'm here to keep an eye on him and there's nothing by his face.

Thoughts? Because this hasn't been fun.

Alexander reacted badly to his first shots. It was pretty much as you described. He was fine just after but then a couple hours later he screamed and screamed and was completely inconsolable. Tylenol + 24 hours and he was okay. It was a hard day. We both cried a lot.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I don't think you're supposed to use sunscreen before 6 months. Just put a sunhat on him and a light layer of clothing.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

LuckyDaemon posted:

I mean are they all just bullshit and any "success" is just pure coincidence?

Yes. ;)

First baby: 10 days late
Second Baby: 4 days late
Third baby: 16 days late

I think induction from giving yourself horrible cramping diarrhea aka drinking castor oil does work sometimes but that's disgusting and I wouldn't do it. Are you overdue?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Janelle posted:

Question for breastfeeding moms: I just had my baby 9 days ago. The lactation consultant told me to not start pumping until 2 weeks in. When I do, what is the best way to build a stock pile of frozen milk without hurting the supply and what he is getting? Thanks in advance!

I would pump first thing in the morning or pump on one side while he nurses on the other.

Congrats on your baby. :)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I never had a changing table for any of my kids. I just change them on the bed when they're little (I have a changing pad sitting on the bed to protect the sheets in case of spillage) and then on the rug on the bathroom floor when they're bigger. I don't have any back issues, so this has worked out great.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I also really loved the Flips. Julia wore them when she was very small - a monthish - until recently when I discovered the super trim Bottom Bumper all-in-ones. The Flips were way less bulky than prefolds or Kissaluvs or Sandy's Diapers, which is what I used before.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I used mostly just baby washcloths as cloth wipes until recently when I discovered kissaluv's wipes. They work a lot better and I love them! The baby washcloths work fine it that's all you can swing though. :)

I agree with FITD. Squirt some olive oil on top of the meconium and it wipes off a lot easier. We used disposables until the kiddo was past the meconium stage.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Janelle posted:

*edit to ask breastfeeding moms: How long did you nurse for?

2 1/2 years for each of my older kids. My 10 month old is still nursing and I plan to be done before 3 years.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
My feet were never swollen anywhere near that at all. That's disgusting.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Skyworks posted:

Just a quick one to confirm that what our parents are saying is wrong. We have a thoroughly brilliant little girl. My wife has recently given birth to our second daughter. We are both taking time off to share the burden of a newborn, she is running days and I am running nights, this is definitely a contributing factor as being sleep deprived is screwing with me.

Since Daria came home, Elizabeth, our first, has all of a sudden become drat loud. For example; Earlier tonight while I was nursing Daria I asked Sissi to go and get her mother. She said OK, turned around and screamed at the top of her voice "Mama, Dad wants you!" then ran off. Obviously, the fact that there is another bub in the house is an adjustment for all of us. Despite the advice of our parents, I am loathe to discipline Sissi for what I feel to be a natural reaction to the situation.

Intentionally ignoring advice from the grandparents: I feel that this is only going to be a very short phase before everything stabilises. I suppose this post is less looking for advice, and more getting out what I am thinking. In any case, if any of you can give me an idea of what to expect without the 65 year old grandparent 'time to spank' thing, I would appreciate it.

I wouldn't discipline for that. I would say "Shhh, remember we need to be quieter because the baby is trying to sleep." She'll get it eventually.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Find something to occupy your mind. Needlework? Knitting? Crochet? jigsaw puzzles? Books? TV shows you've been meaning to watch from netflix?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
People will tell you a long list of things that "worked" for them but who knows if they were going to have the baby that day anyway. Are you overdue?

Fresh pineapple is supposed to do it. Spicy foods. Sex. Walking. Waiting works for sure ;)

My first was 10 days late.
My second was 4 days late.
My third was 16 days late.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Tesla Insanely Coil posted:

I have a question - do you go to the hospital as soon as your water breaks or do you wait until contractions are a certain length apart?

The general advice is as soon as your water breaks (most hospitals in the US won't let you labor longer than 24 hours after your water breaks so they want to keep track of when that happens) or your contractions are five minutes apart for an hour. Most of the time your water doesn't break until you're already in active labor. Mine didn't break until I was pushing each time.

That said.. my contractions were never regular. They would be 8 minutes then 2 minutes then 5 minutes then 10 minutes then 2 minutes etc. Even when I was pushing with all three of my labors. So I called my midwife as soon as it was really painful. I also had short labors; the longest was 7 hours.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I would just get a giant sweatshirt/jacket that zips. After you have the baby you can use it again by zipping it around you and the baby if you have the baby in a baby carrier like an Ergo or Wrap. :) Keeps everybody warm and cozy.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
You definitely don't need a diaper genie. Just empty your trash cans regularly and it isn't a problem, in my experience.

The bottle question is a big variable. Some babies are pretty picky about what bottle they'll take and others don't care at all. I know a lot of people have good luck with the Dr Brown's bottles. Make sure you get the slowest flow nipples since you'll be breastfeeding too.

And yay for your healthy twins. :)

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Flip diapers are really thin and I like them a lot. They fit a wide range of sizes too. I dried them on a line inside my basement most of the time and it worked out great.

http://www.cottonbabies.com/index.php?cPath=139

ETA: I used these inserts: http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_info.php?cPath=139&products_id=2132

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
I really hated "What to Expect". The book you have now was a good one for me. I also just read a lot of stuff online.

I told my family right away and some close friends. I wouldn't tell work until it's necessary.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Get some type of maxi dress. http://www.trendytummymaternity.com/jane-one-shoulder-maternity-formal-maxi-dress.html

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
The Baby Book is a great baby instruction manual: http://www.amazon.com/Baby-Book-Everything-Revised-Updated/dp/0316778001/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1317821660&sr=8-1

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Bodnoirbabe posted:

But I have a plan to make sure my legs and other areas are shaved (my friend said they shave you down there themselves with a cheap razor if you don't do it yourself),

This is really outdated information. They don't shave people anymore. Thirty years ago they did but now they don't care.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
My first child's birth was a birth center birth. In the room were two midwives, my husband, and my mother. We went home after 4 hours and friends and family came over to meet the baby.

My second child's birth was a home birth and in the room was my midwife, her assistant, my close friend, and my husband. My older son came in immediately following the birth and friends came in a couple of hours later.

My third child's birth was also a home birth and in the room was my midwife, her assistant, my sister, and my husband. My mother came in immediately following the birth and more family came in the morning.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
Girls can totally wear dinosaurs and monkeys and super heroes too!

For maternity coats, I would just wear my regular coat and wear more layers or warmer sweaters. Are you outside that much that it would make a difference?

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Bodnoirbabe posted:

My husband just looked at that thing and said he wanted one. He said he may as well just divorce me and buy one, just cut a hole and....

This thread has ruined my marriage!

But that thing does look really super comfy.

I actually didn't like it. :( Instead I used two smaller pillows. I wanted it to be more adjustable. My kids still use the preggo pillow just to snuggle in though so it gets some use.

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher

Ansiktsburk posted:

Secondly, am I overreacting? I was a nervous wreck waiting for that ultrasound on Monday, but once it had been done and no one at my OB's office seemed concerned about anything, I felt a little like I was nagging my doctor and had wasted everyone's time. I know objectively that the chance of miscarriage at 17 weeks is low, and that if all was well on Monday, it’s probably fine now, too, but I can’t get there emotionally. After monitoring the bleeding today, I left another message for my OB. Am I just being a drama queen?

No experience but I'd also be worried if I was in your position. Hopefully it is as easy to get rid of as Sarsaparilla suggests. Fingers crossed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreamcatcherkwe
Apr 14, 2005
Dreamcatcher
We coslept with the kids from birth. I switched to a lightweight, thin blanket until the baby was older. We have a firm mattress. If you drink or take medication, don't sleep with the baby in your bed. If you're extremely obese, it also isn't safe. You can look up safe cosleeping rules. I'm pretty sure the recommendation is for the baby to at least sleep in the same room for the first year (it might be 6 months - I don't remember exactly).