Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

I had 3 babies naturally with no classes.

I had one baby with no classes. Hot water is your best friend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

peanut posted:

Going back to work 1 week after childbirth sounds impossible to me. I could hardly go grocery shopping then. And babies don't sleep on demand.

Why are you against using powdered milk? The stress of working and pumping will be pretty hard on your wife. Pumping isn't fun. Without having the baby with her, she might not be able to pump enough. The hormones released by being with the baby are important to stimulate milk. Bug was in the NICU for two weeks and I couldn't get flowing well until she was home with me.

Powdered milk might save you. I think it's unreasonable for you guys to not consider it.

Why are you trying to discourage her pumping? Pumping is really hard work, the last thing she needs is someone telling her to not even bother.

On the other hand, if pumping exclusively is something that IS too hard for you to do emotionally/physically etc, formula is a life saver.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Guess you lost that argument, huh. Giving newborns wine seems like a loving fantastic idea too.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Gumby Orgy posted:

I'm not showing, I'm just... I can't describe it other than my pants are too tight now. I'm uncomfortable. I'm thinking about getting a belly band because I can't loving stand my pants being buttoned right now. Ugh.

I wore my regular pants until the end with a belly band and never bought maternity pants. I am a freak of nature though.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Honestly, by the time your baby is a year old, you won't be feeling so butthurt about not being the one to buy everything for your kid. I think it's hormonal, seriously, I would get the same way when relatives would send us tons of ugly, secondhand clothes. But I also had no problem Goodwilling what I didn't like.

A lot of the OMG EVERYTHING MUST BE MY WAAAAAAAAAAY AHHH MY BAAAAAAAAABBBAAAYYY poo poo goes away eventually. You're a new mom FLOODED with hormones. We don't have to protect our young from tigers anymore, so your nurturing hormones are just flocking to inane poo poo because they have nowhere else to go. You fixate on the stuff your kid gets, because you don't have to worry about anything serious. This is actually a good thing.

Also, on the gender thing, I really wanted a girl. If Lucy had been a boy, I would have mourned a bit. I think Beichan said it perfectly, if it starts to be overwhelming, get help, but otherwise just work through your feelings. Once the baby is born, after you've had a chance to bond, you won't even remember the disappointment.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Girl clothes are awesome you're all insane. I hate anything with words on it though. Anything stating that you are Daddy's or Mommy's Lil' Buttface or whatever, yuck I hate that stuff.

Oracle posted:

There's a store in the Chicago suburbs called From My Room, I think it's in Naperville, that has gently used secondhand clothes and maternity clothes. And I'm talking some nice stuff. I've seen some ritzy labels in there for maternity clothes. See if you can find a coat there.

Naperville is a schlep from Chicago, like an hour or so depending on where you are. I am in Rogers Park so that would easily take me 1.5 hours in typical traffic. I would just get an XL coat from a Marshalls or something, or you could check out thrift stores, I've found amazing stuff. If you love thrifting and digging through poo poo, go now. That is one of the very few things that is actually a million times harder to do with a baby oh man do children hate thrift stores. It is my greatest joy to have someone watching my kid so I can spend 3 hours digging through poo poo in Salvation Army now.

Moms Stuffing fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Oct 17, 2011

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Pregnancy sucked.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Gumby Orgy posted:

ETA: Anyone had experience with these two conditions during pregnancy: hyperemesis gravidarium and urinary tract infection?

Zoloft and antibiotics. Pretty common.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

chachu posted:

You mean Zofran, I think.

I think this chick needs ZOLOFT TOO ok!? (Yes I meant Zofran)

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
If it's so rare why do I know several people who were diagnosed with hyperemesis gravidarum? Guessing it's yet another over diagnosed condition or it's not really that uncommon.

The first trimester was horrible. I was permanauseated and exhausted but also had insomnia and it just sucked. I only ended up gaining 8lbs my entire pregnancy because I was nauseated first, and then I had horrible heartburn for the rest of it. Pregnancy just sucks. I would try to just swallow all the poo poo and stop wallowing in how awful it is (tempting to do I know I have been there) and just try to take your mind off of it if you can by other distractions. Or sleep a lot. Sleeping is good and surprisingly easy when you're pregnant.

Moms Stuffing fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Oct 18, 2011

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
We also coslept from the beginning. I slept in several layers of clothing to avoid blankets completely, it seemed to work out well.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

opie posted:

My husband cried when both daughters were born - probably because they weren't boys. But the oldest is a total daddy's girl now, and he's warming up to the youngest.

I know you're joking, but this is still really sad. :(

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

dreamcatcherkwe posted:

Some people save the stump. Ewww.

I told my husband to throw it out. What did I find while cleaning out a dresser drawer, MY DRAWER to be exact? Her stump in an old prescription bottle. GROSS. At least keep it in your drawer you gross, sentimental weirdo.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Fire In The Disco posted:

Check your local Craigslist for a Moby or another wrap. They're reasonably cheap new as far as baby carriers go, so you should be able to get a used one inexpensively (there are like 6 or 7 on my local Craigslist for $20-25 right now, and they retail for $45-ish). And then there are tons of YouTube videos to teach you how to wrap with it.

The only issue with stretchy wraps like that is by the time the baby's a certain weight they stop being as useful. If you want a carrier that will last a lot longer, look into getting a mei tai, Ergo or Beco used. They're going to cost more, but they will also last longer.

I loooove my woven wrap! So that's another option too. Structured carriers hurt my shoulders. I think my shoulders slope a bit more than most people, so weight distributes differently. Wraps are easier on them.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
EB, not by choice. It was horrible. T___T

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
For those of you with cracked nipples, rubbing breastmilk on them and letting them air dry is very helpful. I started doing it right away because I had the luxury of knowing to do it, and while there was pain for 6 weeks, I didn't get any cracks.

I was given some very terrible advice, from an LC at that, that if I let Lucy cry at the breast for more than 5 minutes she'd develop an aversion and never want to nurse. This is such bullshit, and caused SO MUCH STRESS and latching issues for us. Her pediatrician had nursed all of her children, and she thankfully set me straight very early on. You can keep offering your breast to the baby for 20-30 minutes while they cry. The first few times, it took Lucy the whole 30 minutes to latch on, and then after a week of her crying at the breast, she finally got it.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
She's still crapping blood? Formula is made from cow's milk or soy usually, and those are two of the big, common childhood allergies.

I would assume it's one of those two causing the issues. Dreamcatcherkwe has been on a restrictive breastfeeding diet on and off for all three of her kids, I'm sure she'll have some great advice.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I'm placing my bets on dairy or soy because those are also common ingredients in formula, and you said she was having issues on the formula as well.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
That sounds like colic, which is the worst. I've always said that if I had another with colic, I'd put on noise cancelling headphones and listen to music while baby screamed in a wrap on me.

EDIT: Dairy/corn/soy sensitivity could also be the culprit.

Moms Stuffing fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 4, 2012

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

Axiem posted:

Our Anyone have any good suggestions for one-handed things to do while carrying a sleeping baby?

Amelia Song posted:

You could get a baby carrier and wear her. Then you'd have two hands free.

Babywearing is really great! Your hands are free while you still get to bond with your baby in a really important way. I loved wearing my baby when she was really small, I felt like we had a special connection, and because I was the one that mostly wore her, it was our special thing. :3: I had back/shoulder problems once my daughter got bigger because I don't think I had the right carrier for my body type, but you can hypothetically wear your baby until they're in Kindergarten!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
I don't think I ate a meal with my husband until she was 6 months old. I ate every meal with her in a boppy, my nipple in her mouth for a long, long time. I also had a colicky baby who screamed all the time, I would never have been able to eat knowing she was screaming for me. Colic is most likely excruciating pain in their intestines, how scary it must be to be put down and have your caretakers walk away from you, especially because babies don't understand object permanence so when something leaves their site, they think it's gone forever. Small babies can't see well yet and recognize their parents by smell, and they're in pain, and they just want it to stop. Even if they're screaming and screaming, being held at least assures them that you're right there. To be put down in so much pain and then think you've been abandoned must be terrifying.

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

LOL Charlotte is so fat and sassy!

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one
Wearing babies spoils them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moms Stuffing
Jun 2, 2005

the little green one

DrPepperholik posted:

I just feel like if I don't pass the 3 hour test it'll be horrible, like I'd rather have anything than be a diabetic. Especially because if I do have GD my son will have a higher chance of having diabetes in his life because his idiot mom had GD while pregnant with him, totally not his fault. I'm probably being super overly dramatic but it'll be the end of the world if I have diabetes especially with Christmas right after the test.

Goondolences. :(

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)