Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

auri
Jul 8, 2005

A Serious Woman posted:

Also, the LC suggested that she has a minor tongue tie. She referred us to a doctor to have it looked at but I'm weary of having the procedure done. My midwife said she's not tongue tied at all. So, I guess I'm just a little confused. Have any of you had your child's tongue clipped?

My son was slightly tongue tied which made breast feeding extremely difficult for the first month. As he got older though he got stronger and his tongue grew as well so it stretched out enough that he could finally latch on. My pediatrician said when a tongue tie is so slight it's better to just wait it out as they usually "out-grow" it. For a while he could stick his tongue out but it would have a pinch in the middle, and now he can stick his whole tongue out no problem.

Talk to a pediatrician about it and decide with a couple informed opinions, but I personally didn't feel clipping was necessary. I guess it all depends on the severity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auri
Jul 8, 2005

foxatee posted:

That's what I figured. He mentioned hypertension, but not preeclampsia. I'm aware of the symptoms since my husband's cousin lost her baby recently that way.

But--But! The dishes! The cooking! The cleaning! The dog! Oh gawd, my apartment is going to go to hell. :gonk:
Seriously, I'm trying not to panic, but lately my emotions have been all over the place. I'm just wondering if I should be doing yoga or something to keep me calm. Also, it would be nice for someone to tell me they went through this exact thing and everything turned out fine. :unsmith:

I went through that exact same thing, except it started at 32 weeks. My feet swelled at first. By the time I was 37 weeks my legs from the knee down were swollen and walking was painful. Pre-eclampsia is also known as gestational hypertension I think, and the protein in your urine is a sign of it. I had traces of protein in my urine, as well as a constant blood pressure of 140/90. I was induced at 37 1/2 weeks and had a normal vaginal birth with no complications.

I should have stayed in bed a lot more than I did, so I would definitely recommend you tell the apartment to eat poo poo and let it go to hell. Keep your salt intake low, which means NO SODA/POP! It sucked so much for me because it was like 6 weeks of hell where all I wanted to do was chug a 2L of coke and eat fries from McDonald's. Standing in one spot for a while (like when I would do the dishes) made my legs swell even more.

Just take it easy and let someone else do all the work for once. It will make your birth that much easier and quicker to recover from.

Oh, and the swelling will get worse before it gets better. After I gave birth, for 2 days I couldn't walk because my feet were so swollen. It was incredibly painful to move my legs and walk, it was like someone had cut my feet off and I was walking on stumps. It was so awful :( If you can find support stockings, I highly recommend them. They helped me a lot.

It's not so bad though. Everything did turn out fine in my situation. I hope it does for you as well :)

auri
Jul 8, 2005
Yeah I just have a small trash can and medium white kitchen garbage bags for disposables. For cloth I have another small pail half full of cold water and some vinegar. Haven't really noticed a smell yet.

auri
Jul 8, 2005

Natzor posted:

I'm here to join the club! I took a home pregnancy test yesterday, and today because I still don't believe this. I have a doctors appointment set up for the 21st.

Can anyone recommend some good pregnancy books? I had a list of goon approved books but I lost it in our most recent move. I already requested, "from the hips" and "the girlfriends guide to pregnancy" from the library. Any other good ones? Also anything you would recommend geared toward the dad?

I have 'From The Hips" and I thought it was awesome. It was the only book I read.

auri
Jul 8, 2005
If she's 3 weeks late, she was due for her period when you had sex. Since most women ovulate a week or 2 before their period starts, she most likely got pregnant before you hooked up. If she is knocked up, I would bet money it isn't yours. Worst case scenario ask for a paternity test.