Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

"Don't forget taking your skin off, because pink works. It's sophisticated and sexy, stands out as springs hottest color."
I've downloaded an IRC client, but I either 1) completely missed what server to use and what the channel is called in the OP, or 2) it's not there. I don't have PM, so could someone give me this information, so I stop posting non ask/tell posts in this thread? Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

"Don't forget taking your skin off, because pink works. It's sophisticated and sexy, stands out as springs hottest color."
starshine, my GP specifically told me NOT to fast and eat a regular breakfast before the 1-hour glucose test. She said that if you fast, you'll get skewed results. They want to see how you tolerate glucose on a regular basis, and if you fast, it'll look like you can't tolerate it as well, as opposed to if you had of ate normally.

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

Fire In The Disco posted:

It's not uncommon to start dilating early, especially if this isn't your first baby. I remember my sister walked around for like 3 weeks at 5 cm with her second. And even though she was my first, I was at 4 cm for at least two weeks before Cecilia was born.

Lucky thing!

Janelle, I guess I would be an exception to most pregnancies, I was almost 42 weeks before I dilated, and I only dilated 1 cm on my own, and I was in for an induction. But to be honest, most of the people I know in real life who have had children were dilating weeks before their due date, even with their first pregnancy.

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

Brennanite, we just threw a change pad like this on top of the dresser we bought to match the crib. Her bedroom is very tiny, so we wanted to save some space. I'd love to have the extra storage that a change table would provide, but it would be either the change table or the rocking chair, and I'm partial to the chair. :P The change pad has a strap that you attach to the back of the table to keep it from sliding, and that's just fine with us. That being said, I only change her up in her room maybe 50-60% of the time. The rest is on the floor/couch/wherever.

On an unreated note - Kaedence will be graduating this thread tomorrow! Where the hell did THAT time go? :aaa:

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

Bahunter22 posted:

Hooray!

I checked with the doctor and basically she said to take Tylenol, try caeffine and dark rooms and tough it out since I'm still in the first trimester. She didn't feel comfortable giving me anything until the second or third because the stuff she prescribes is class c. I guess that makes sense, it just makes less sense when I'm curled in a ball in agony. I suffered from migraines prior to pregnancy, which she is aware of, so its nothing new, just sucks more now that I can't kick back a couple Excedrin anymore. Hopefully it doesn't last long.

I've been prone to migraines since I was 10 years old and before I got pregnant I hadn't had one in almost a year. During my first trimester I had them pretty frequently but shortly after hitting my second trimester they were gone and I only had one or two during the rest of my pregnancy. I'm sure they will disappear for you soon enough. :) I always popped tylenol, even though it didn't help much for the headache, it did help me fall asleep and that normally did the trick.

In big news, Kaedence has graduated this thread as of yesterday! So, I figure a few cute baby pictures to commemorate can't hurt!

Day 1:

Day 3: First Doctor's Visit

2 Months, 1 Day: Family Photoshoot

3 Months:

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

My birth plan never wavered. I only wanted my fiance and my Mom to be in the actual room for the birth itself. I was induced and my Mom and Dad stopped by about half way through the labour just to see how I was doing. It was late (around 11pm) so they left, which in the long run ended up working well because I ended up having a c-section at about 5:00am. My fiance's family stayed at home until we delivered and they stopped by that afternoon to see the baby. I'm quite private that way and didn't feel comfortable having anybody in the delivery room. It ended up being moot anyway, since they only allow one person in the OR during a c-section.

In regard to the make-up thing, I do feel better when I have make-up on. I'm not an everyday wearer, more like for special occasions, and I'm telling you, it wasn't even a small priority when it came to the labour and delivery. I totally get why some people would choose to do their make-up before delivery, but not right after.

Photos are another thing entirely. I wanted to hold my baby immediately after my delivery and probably would have had a few photos of that, but I didn't even have the chance. I had a c-section and all I got was a peek over the sheet before she was off to be washed up. My first pictures are of me completely drugged out with Kaedence in the recovery room about 45 minutes later. I'm sad I didn't get those pictures immediately after birth in all the bloody, gross glory, but I know it was for the health of my baby. Personally, I think if you are so vain as to want to go shower, do your make-up etc. shortly after delivering instead of just enjoying those first moments with your baby, you are loving nuts. Nobody needs to see the pictures. Ever. But maybe your child will want to see them some day? I guess for me it makes sense to have the pictures and never look at them, versus not having them and regretting it later. Just because your mom didn't regret it, doesn't mean you won't, and labour is a funny thing, there are quite a few parts of my delivery I just don't remember because of the drugs. Something to at least think about.

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

Note: Mods, if this is not okay, I'll take it down. Just let me know.

Hey all you parenting and soon to be parenting goons. Christmas is just around the corner, and you know what that means... YES! The OFFICIAL SA MOMS/DADS SECRET SANTA EXTRAVAGANZA 2011!

Elocin and I are going to be organizing the exchange this year, so all you guys have to do is make super fun time packages to send to fellow goons & goon babies (or kids!). Here's what we need from you:

1. Your name, and spouse if applicable.
2. Your kid(s) names.
3. Your address, so your secret santa can send you your package of goodies.
4. Things your kid(s) like. Things they don't like, size of clothing they wear, age, all that good stuff, so people know what to send. Be sure to also send information on what YOU like, because the parents are important too! Also, if it applies to you, mention if there is some kind of allergy issues, so someone doesn't send food that you or your kiddos can't eat.
5. IMPORTANT: Please let us know where you willing to ship. If you can/prefer to only ship within a certain geographical location, let us know, so we don't pair you up with someone half way across the world, if that's not what you want.

Then send all that information to me at my username @gmail.com and you are on the list. DEADLINE FOR SIGNUP IS OCTOBER 30. I will be sending the compiled list over to Elocin that day so she can pair people up, and send out the information to everybody by November 1. This should give everybody plenty of time to get things prepped and ready to go. Obviously we would like to see packages arrive before or very shortly after Christmas. It's not very Christmas-y if they arrive in February.

I will post a list of people I have on the spreadsheet on October 30 close to the end of the day to make sure I have everybody who has sent me an e-mail. Spending limit is between $20-$25. However, if you want to send a package worth more, that's your choice. Handmade items are always appreciated, so get creative if you want!

OKAY GUYS! GO, GO, GO AND LET THE CHRISTMAS CHEER (AND STRESS) BEGIN!

(x-posting this to the Parenting thread)

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

Brennanite posted:

Just guessing, but many OBs in the states won't let you go more than a week past your due date. It didn't used to be that way and I know a number of nurses and doctors of the older generation believe the policy is just another way to mitigate lawsuits.

This is so bizarre to me, because in Canada, they will NOT induce you between w40d1 and w41d1 because it apparently increases the complications during labour significantly. I was pretty much begging for an induction near the end (even though I wanted go into labour on my own) because I was so done being pregnant, but no way, they won't let you get induced during that week, unless for some reason the baby needs out immediately for other reasons.

I started the induction process on a Friday morning (treatments of Cervidil), and Sunday afternoon I was actually induced (with Pitocin), my water was broken around early evening (7ish I think) and by 5:00am Monday morning, I was being prepped for a c-section. Now, to be fair, the doctors found out why I hadn't delivered naturally, and that was because of the way my pelvis is tilted. It's not really conducive to actually having children vaginally, but I'm sure this isn't the case for most folks.

There are some serious downsides to induction, but as yawnie said, once your water breaks you have a 24 hour period to have your baby, otherwise you are heading to the OR. Hopefully this doesn't happen to you, and you have a great delivery without the need for an induction at all. :)

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

netally posted:

Dear God, the hip pain. I was pretty ache and pain-free til Thursday night, and suddenly my right hip has decided it hates me. I have spent three days in complete agony and have been unable to put any weight on my right hand side. It also feels like I've been kicked in the crotch right now, a horrible dull pain. I'm guessing this is most likely PGP/SPD? Am planning to see the Doctor tomorrow, but worried about what their most likely course of action will be. I know there's no magic cure for this, but anyone managed to find relief beyond the usual pillows and hot water bottle tricks?

I had some pretty terrible hip and crotch pain. My doctor told me that activity and walking were the best things you can do for it. That's all the medical intervention I received for those problems. As much as I didn't want to be active (because it loving hurt when I was doing it), afterwards I did feel better.

REMINDER: SA MOMS/DADS SECRET SANTA DEADLINE IS TONIGHT AT MIDNIGHT! So, if you want to join in on the festivities, now would be a good time to send that e-mail! My username@gmail.com is where you send it! Your giftee's name and information will be sent to you by November 1st!

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

Mnemosyne, I'm going to go ahead and say it. The pain IS for a reason - your baby. I'm kind of saddened that I would have to point that out to you.

I was induced because I went 10 days overdue. I was zero cm dilated when I started, and I got several doses of cervidil and I got myself up to 3cm after 48 hours. I was brought into the hospital and was put on pitocin to get my contractions going (I was having contractions prior to admission, but they were infrequent and not doing anything other than causing me discomfort). They broke my water, and the pitocin worked a bit and got me up to 5cm. I had asked for a epidural and received one at about 5cm when I thought I was still going to dilate more. Due to an unknown factor (my pelvis is incredibly tilted and narrow making it near impossible for me to give birth successfully vaginally), and other factors such as increased BP, low amniotic fluids, and dehydration on my end, the doctor's recommended I have a c-section to avoid the baby being put in any further distress. I live in Canada, and the hospital we deliver at is a specific woman's and children's hospital, and they avoid c-section at all costs.

I was awake for my entire c-section. We don't get an anesthetic to knock you out. You get an epidural and another drug (the name escapes me at the moment) to basically put a local freezing from chest level down to the feet. This drug also has some side effects that are incredibly awful. It caused me to shake as if I was having a seizure for over an hour. Being awake for the entire c-section shaking that badly was HORRIBLE. It terrified me, and it resulted me not really appreciating the birth of my daughter. My c-section, overall, was very unremarkable. I healed well and quickly, but it was terrible to not be able to laugh or move, or do those types of things without severe pain. Not to mention you are taking pain medications that make you drowsy, and when taking care of a newborn at the same time, that's really loving difficult. Oh, and 9 months later, I still can't feel my abdomen and I don't know when I'll get the feeling back.

So, c-section seriously should be a last resort, and people are INSANE for opting for one, except for a medically valid reason. Period.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zombie duck v2.0
Apr 4, 2006

Okay, let me clarify something. Clearly, I had what you would consider "pointless" pain during my induction, since it ended in a c-section. The point is, if you don't induce, and just opt for the c-section, how would you ever know if it was "pointless"? What if you could have had a regular ol' vaginal delivery? You wouldn't. The pain I went through sucked at the time, and but I did it, and at the end of the day, I don't really remember, or care for that matter, the pain I went through. The end result was baby, and that's all that matters. 12-24 hours of pain is a small price to pay, even if it was "pointless". At least you tried to avoid a major surgery.

I am not trying to make anybody feel bad about anything, but at least do research and talk to your OB/physician before deciding that an induction is a complete waste of time. Because, sometimes (probably more than any of us realize) it isn't.