Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

LuckyDaemon posted:

A couple of hospitals here offer $70 childbirth classes but my CNM doesn't think they're very useful for teaching practical information about how to get through labor--just education about "This is what happens when baby comes, these are some of the tools we use". I've gotten all of that information from my own research. Bradley classes would be awesome, but we can't afford them.

I feel like I could learn a lot from a book, but I'm not sure. If you took classes, do you think you could have done without? And is there anyone who attempted natural childbirth without taking classes?

Second, my husband is stubborn and has agreed to read *one* pregnancy book. I need to choose wisely. I'm trying to decide between NCB the Bradley Way and The Birthing Partner. Which one would be better for him?

Finally, has anyone had any success with Hypnobabies? It sounds neat, but I can't find it for less than $150. Maybe natural childbirth is not for the poors :D

We watched a dvd called Laugh and Learn about Childbirth. I think it was around $40 on Amazon. It didn't tell me anything I didn't know, but it told my husband A LOT. I would've taken a class at my hospital but they didn't offer them.
I love The Birthing Partner and I'm going to force my husband to read it next time.
I'll also be doing Hypnobabies next time. I used hypnosis during my first labor, I just didn't know I was doing it. I had barely started listening to the Hypnobabies tracks when we ended our last pregnancy and even that little bit was helpful. I got the cds from a friend, so I'll have to decide if I want to spend $150 just to get the workbook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
Biting your kid's nails (like licking their spoons/pacifiers) may not be a good idea because it can transfer bacteria that cause cavities from your mouth to their mouth.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006

peanut posted:

Home births are also growing in popularity in the US because so many people are uninsured or underinsured.

Is this really true? I know a home birth is a lot cheaper than a hospital birth but I've never heard of this being the reason for a home birth.