Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Also, run the C1 version, not C2 or whatever's latest for 6.60 CFW. Anything past C1 breaks PS1 game compatibility, I believe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XtraSmiley
Oct 4, 2002

dis astranagant posted:

Install the latest OFW then run the installer for the new cfw off your memory stick. It's signed so you don't need a service battery or any kind of exploit to get it running.

I'm in the same boat and the current, old CFW has a version number of 9.xx so it won't update to the new OFW. What's the way around that?

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

dis astranagant posted:

Install the latest OFW then run the installer for the new cfw off your memory stick. It's signed so you don't need a service battery or any kind of exploit to get it running.

Finally got a chance to try this. Attempted to use the Hellcat recovery method. So starting with 5.00 M-33 so I can download the latest OFW doesn't seem to work. It won't connect and is giving me a DNS error. My connection tests just fine. Any reason for this?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Might be worth trying again right now. DNS errors happen sometimes because not every ISP takes good care of their DNS servers.

Or you can use OpenDNS or something.

Or you can tell your wi-fi to eat it and grab the update from playstation.com.

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Yea sorry I meant I was trying right now. I have the .PBP file for 660 but hellcat doesn't seem to recognize that one so I'll try the official download real quick and see if that goes smoother.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

OH.

If you're still trying to make Hellcat work, you need the 5.00 update for Hellcat to work. That you sure as hell won't find officially anymore. Try here.

If your System Information's telling you you're already at 5.00 M33, then install the official update. If you're downloading it from playstation.com it'll tell you where to put it and it'll look like a game.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Sep 22, 2013

Majin
Apr 15, 2003

Looks like I got it working properly. For the record, yeah I did have M-33 installed when I was trying to download the update. DNS was complaining with that. I used the official update and then put Pro C on there. A shame that it doesn't boot automatically into it anymore. It doesn't look like there's a way to get it to do that unless you're running 6.20 it seems, correct?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Majin posted:

Looks like I got it working properly. For the record, yeah I did have M-33 installed when I was trying to download the update. DNS was complaining with that. I used the official update and then put Pro C on there. A shame that it doesn't boot automatically into it anymore. It doesn't look like there's a way to get it to do that unless you're running 6.20 it seems, correct?

Permanent installation being possible or not depends on the PSP model. Next time you're modding something I suggest taking five minutes to read up on documentation before doing anything instead of just guessing your way through and ending up with a less than optimal setup, or in the worst case a broken device.

vkeios
May 7, 2007

Majin posted:

It doesn't look like there's a way to get it to do that unless you're running 6.20 it seems, correct?

Not to just parrot Keito, but he's right. Pro CFW's documention points out that the CIPL Flasher, included with the download, is used for a permanent install on 1g and 2g psps.

XtraSmiley posted:

I'm in the same boat and the current, old CFW has a version number of 9.xx so it won't update to the new OFW. What's the way around that?

vkeios posted:

Q: Can a PSP that has been loaded with custom firmware be reverted to official Sony firmware?
A: Yes, try using Hellcat's Recovery Flasher. Or if using Pro CFW, use the installer's uninstall option.

Q: I want to update from an old cfw (5.50 GEN-D3, etc), but it says my firmware version is too high! How is 5.50 bigger than 6.60?
A: Sir Unimaginative did a cool guide real recently.

vkeios fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 22, 2013

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

Are people still actively working on new CFWs or did it sort of reach a ceiling and the devs moved on?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I doubt any serious work is being done on them. They seldom advanced much between OFW versions and Sony isn't likely to put out a new one any time soon.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Anybody have any experience doing ad-hoc multiplayer with emulation? I have two PSPs and I'd like to try NES two player games.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

shyduck posted:

Anybody have any experience doing ad-hoc multiplayer with emulation? I have two PSPs and I'd like to try NES two player games.

I haven't been able to pull it off with SNES. :( Haven't tried the NES though.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is PS2 emulation a thing on the PSP, or just PSX? God I could go for some SSX on the go...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

TraderStav posted:

Is PS2 emulation a thing on the PSP, or just PSX? God I could go for some SSX on the go...

PSX. PS2 emulation on a handheld won't happen for a long, long time.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It will probably happen as soon as the Vita is opened up. Who knows when that will happen, though.

Not sure what you would expect for PS2 emulation on the PSP, considering PS2 emulation isn't even fully functional on the PC and the PSP is much weaker than a PS2.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Is anyone even actively trying to open up the vita?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Ah okay, wasn't sure of the landscape. Just knew that I received my PSP today and want to load it up with some fun. Think I have it all figured out for PSX and the standard roms.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

Photex posted:

Is anyone even actively trying to open up the vita?

Not really. From what I understand, the Vita is pretty well secured. All of the hacks has been from the PSP side - there is a major kernel exploit being released sometimes next week.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
Quick question about installing custom firmware: do you need a USB lead to connect the PSP to a computer, or can it all be done via memory card? I have a memory card and should have a PSP within a few days, can't work out if I also need a USB connector after looking at a few guides/videos

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Paperhouse posted:

Quick question about installing custom firmware: do you need a USB lead to connect the PSP to a computer, or can it all be done via memory card? I have a memory card and should have a PSP within a few days, can't work out if I also need a USB connector after looking at a few guides/videos

It'd be really useful to HAVE a usb connector simply for ease of transferring data. I'd recommend one.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I take it that means it's not entirely necessary? I have no issue with loading files from my PC onto the card then sticking the card in the PSP, I don't really see what the difference would be

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Paperhouse posted:

For strictly direct-to-device and :filez: stuff you're fine out of the box, but a mini-USB costs like five bucks and it's convenient (and if you have a DualShock 3 you probably have a couple).

If you want to do your PSN downloading through the PS3 or Media Go it's mandatory if you want to get the stuff onto your PSP.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Paperhouse posted:

Do you really not have a USB cable? Is it even possible not to get piles of them from buying electronic devices?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Just a quick question:

While the 6.60 CFW can let you access the PS store, have there been any reports of people being banned using a PSP CFW?

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Not that I've heard. I can imagine nastygrams being sent out for MP cheating or MPing at all with a :filez: copy of a digital-only game or something.

As far as I know no one has had their account terminated simply for connecting while running 6.60 PRO.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Paperhouse posted:

It's not a custom cable like the vita, it's a standard A to Mini B connector. You don't need one, but it makes life a little easier and is worth the $2 or whatever they cost. Fancy ones also have a power connector so you can charge off USB too but you can run off battery while connected over USB or plug in your normal AC supply while connected.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Can I put the files in folders so that they show up as folders when I select Memory Stick. There's just a huge dump of games there and would love to organize them in emulators, psx, etc.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Can I put the files in folders so that they show up as folders when I select Memory Stick. There's just a huge dump of games there and would love to organize them in emulators, psx, etc.

Yes. Files using stuff built into the psp's OS need their particular structures to work (eboots, game saves, pix, music, and movies viewed with the built in media handlers) but stuff you're accessing via homebrew programs can go anywhere.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Midjack posted:

Yes. Files using stuff built into the psp's OS need their particular structures to work (eboots, game saves, pix, music, and movies viewed with the built in media handlers) but stuff you're accessing via homebrew programs can go anywhere.

I mean organize so when I access them under games they will be in directories.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TraderStav posted:

The eboots themselves, no I don't think so.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

---
the symbol of America."

TraderStav posted:

I think there's a homebrew that does what you're looking for. Let me see if I can't find it.

http://pspslimhacks.com/game-categories-lite-1-4-released/

Something like this?

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

RadicalR posted:

I think there's a homebrew that does what you're looking for. Let me see if I can't find it.

http://pspslimhacks.com/game-categories-lite-1-4-released/

Something like this?

Exactly like that, thanks!

Wendell
May 11, 2003

The longest of long shots: Does anyone know where I can get a complete game save for Arc the Lad 1 on PSP? I want to use it in Arc the Lad 2 for whatever bonuses it grants, but I hate that first game and don't want to play it again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

All it gives you is a bunch of overleveled characters and a room full of gear you'll never get around to using most of. Most of the big secrets are just handed to you (like the loving cheer trumpet). The biggest thing you'll miss out on is the Romancing Stone. Oh and the Necklace doesn't show up in AtL2 if you're going to be a huge sperg about your max hp.

PSP saves are encrypted and can't transfer without both people using a specific plugin anyway.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Dec 3, 2013

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

dis astranagant posted:

All it gives you is a bunch of overleveled characters and a room full of gear you'll never get around to using most of. Most of the big secrets are just handed to you (like the loving cheer trumpet). The biggest thing you'll miss out on is the Romancing Stone. Oh and the Necklace doesn't show up in AtL2 if you're going to be a huge sperg about your max hp.

PSP saves are encrypted and can't transfer without both people using a specific plugin anyway.

Really? Can you not get them off gamefaqs?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Midjack posted:

Really? Can you not get them off gamefaqs?

You can get psx saves but I'm not sure if there's a way to make the psp read them.

E: googled a bit and it looks like you probably can. try this

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 3, 2013

Wendell
May 11, 2003

I couldn't find concrete info on what bonuses it granted, just an RPGFan review implying there was a ton of new, secret quests that make it, "a more worthwhile experience." If it's just overpowered items then I don't give a drat.

Edit: I actually tried that Memcardrex thing earlier. I was all excited to convert a dexdrive save from Gamefaqs into a PSP save, but it turns out that the program can only read PSP saves, not do anything with them, so conversion to that format wasn't possible. Oh well.

Wendell fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 3, 2013

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Most of them aren't even overpowered, especially since item upgrading in Arc 2 is really open-ended when you know what you're doing.

There MIGHT be a couple set pieces that change a bit if you have an Arc 1 save but I've never gotten a clear answer on that. I also wouldn't rule out the whole Choko sidequest being locked out if you don't import a save with her unlocked, mostly because that quest hates you.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gay skull
Oct 24, 2004

RadicalR posted:

PSX. PS2 emulation on a handheld won't happen for a long, long time.

Gamecube has started, though. (for Android) :snoop:

• Locked thread