Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Pain of Mind posted:

I cannot speak for other locations, but the vast majority of people in biotech in the bay area make quite a bit more than 65k. I made that like 15 years ago with a few years of experience and no graduate degree. I really don't know what the range is, but I would assume most people with 10+ years of experience and no graduate degree are clearing 100k, while entry level PhDs are probably also clearing 100k. This is for pharma/biotech research, not manufacturing or academic labs or whatever. Of course, low income for a family of 4 is at 120k or something like that now.

I specified basic science research, which is minimal in industry. Biotech/pharma is obviously also doing discovery research (I work at that level and will only ever work at that level) but not nearly to the degree that academia is, and it's 100% focused in therapeutic areas. It is correct that industry should pay >$100k for PhD-level positions in high CoL areas.

I'm betting on biotech continuing to grow, but it will be at the expense of basic biological research, because academic research is just a terrible economic prospect and unlike other fields with terrible economic prospects but high social value (K-12 education, social work, counselors) there exist extremely obvious alternatives for PhD-level scientists.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 27, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

If you have enough chemistry background, I highly recommend the semiconductor industry. Everything uses HF so you still get the thrill of working with materials that prefer dead humans over the living.

They generally pay tech bro salary: do any development work and it's six figgies easy.

street doc
Feb 20, 2019

"RadioPassive" posted:

biotech bros

Words can be painful, RadioPassive.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.

Mustached Demon posted:

If you have enough chemistry background, I highly recommend the semiconductor industry. Everything uses HF so you still get the thrill of working with materials that prefer dead humans over the living.

They generally pay tech bro salary: do any development work and it's six figgies easy.

What's wrong with working with something that'll rip the calcium from your blood and bones until your heart stops?

For other Fun Compounds I highly recommend Derek Lowe's sadly discontinued Things I Won't Work With

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
Best career move I ever made was sticking with a bachelor’s and getting the gently caress out of academia.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Bastard Tetris posted:

Best career move I ever made was sticking with a bachelor’s and getting the gently caress out of academia.

:hmmyes:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bastard Tetris posted:

Academia is a shitheap nowadays, that's good intuition on your part.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bastard Tetris posted:

In uni: "if you don't get a PhD you won't be taken seriously, sticking with a B.S. is a waste of potential"

In industry: "have you considered getting a MBA"

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

CuddleCryptid posted:

Why did they break into your freezer? What were they even expecting to find in there?

As the other poster said, it was to store stuff from their failed -80C in ours. Fun fact -80s never fail during daylight or 9-5 hours.

Despite two failures in a row and now an open conflict between several labs (the offending lab had a bunch of stuff in their freezer that they didnt know whos it was, so they let it rot, setting off more drama for them) the admin still saw no reason to buy a backup freezer.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Bastard Tetris posted:

This poster gets it.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

That Works posted:

As the other poster said, it was to store stuff from their failed -80C in ours. Fun fact -80s never fail during daylight or 9-5 hours.

Despite two failures in a row and now an open conflict between several labs (the offending lab had a bunch of stuff in their freezer that they didnt know whos it was, so they let it rot, setting off more drama for them) the admin still saw no reason to buy a backup freezer.

We never went so far as to get padlocks for our freezers but that might be a good idea homie, geez.

Also I feel literal negative sympathy for people storing anything in a free that doesn't have labeling on it. If you don't care enough about your poo poo to label it you don't get to bitch when it gets thrown out of my freezer. :cabot:

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

We never went so far as to get padlocks for our freezers but that might be a good idea homie, geez.

Also I feel literal negative sympathy for people storing anything in a free that doesn't have labeling on it. If you don't care enough about your poo poo to label it you don't get to bitch when it gets thrown out of my freezer. :cabot:

Lmao I've seen freezer drama come to almost literal blows over poo poo like this.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

We put maps/signs on the doors of our freezers showing what items/samples are on what shelf in the freezer. It’s handy, usually accurate, saves a lot of time pawing through -80° snow frost looking for the right shelf and rack.

Management tore down all the maps for an audit because ThAtS nOt A gMp DoCuMeNt wHaT iF aN AuDiToR SeEs ThAt???

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

mycomancy posted:

Lmao I've seen freezer drama come to almost literal blows over poo poo like this.

Oh absolutely. I've thrown poo poo out my freezers that people tried to get me fired over lol

Sorry you couldn't take 30-90 seconds to properly label something that you're putting in my space without even asking me, go piss up a rope! :byewhore:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Another good reason to work in industry. Preferably one that takes ehs seriously. Safety guys don't screw around with improper labeling.

Shoot, they'd need approval to store a material in our lab if it wasn't something our lab regularly has.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

RadioPassive posted:

We put maps/signs on the doors of our freezers showing what items/samples are on what shelf in the freezer. It’s handy, usually accurate, saves a lot of time pawing through -80° snow frost looking for the right shelf and rack.

Management tore down all the maps for an audit because ThAtS nOt A gMp DoCuMeNt wHaT iF aN AuDiToR SeEs ThAt???

This happened to us to for our dry reagents cabinet.

To be fair it was a comic sans sign that said "SPICE CABINET" soooo

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mustached Demon posted:

Another good reason to work in industry. Preferably one that takes ehs seriously. Safety guys don't screw around with improper labeling.

Shoot, they'd need approval to store a material in our lab if it wasn't something our lab regularly has.

Pffffffffffffffffft to that. I've seen egregious poo poo in industry too.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

mycomancy posted:

I did have to clarify that you need an EHS department with actual teeth. Some are more supported than others.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I would place a tupperware container labeled "Vox's lunch - DO NOT STEAL" in the -80.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jun 29, 2023

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

CuddleCryptid posted:

In industry: "have you considered getting a MBA"

MBA work is crazy competitive right? I know P&G will sometimes pay their good bachelor's to go back to school and I assume this is to move them into management or sales roles?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

MBA work is crazy competitive right? I know P&G will sometimes pay their good bachelor's to go back to school and I assume this is to move them into management or sales roles?

If you are a regular business major then probably, but for Chem it's more of "if you want to interact with customers you need a masters and an MBA is far, far easier than a masters in Chem". It's a straight up HR check box tick. So yeah, it's to put them in management or sales but it's not a packed field when you are competing against people without a Chem background.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

In larger companies, they send their up and coming managers to get MBAs so they learn to be good little class traitors.

It's really just part of the corporate world: managers above like supervisor/lead rolls need that MBA for whatever reason. So a lot of places will send you to get one if you're headed that way in your career.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Can someone smarter than me explain why a tape-measure would be designed to measure in tenths of a foot? This is the second one we've found in our inventory, after (the second time) a part came in not matching up to measurements at all. A six-inch valve is not 0.6 feet, and the tape measure is doing that instead of inches. The engineer who did the measurements missed that the tape measure he pulled out wasn't actually doing inches.

I don't understand why this is a thing. Anyone who needed decimal values would surely be using metric system, right? RIGHT? :smith:

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Google suggests they're used in land surveying.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

mycomancy posted:

Seconding this. I know what we do with our -80 freezers.
If one of them goes down, I will need to start job applications the next day since the company is toast. At least we finally got a spare one.

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
IT has pushed Microsoft Teams to all of our old rear end HPLC computers lol

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

RIP

We're switching over to Microsoft Authenticator rn and the IT guy in charge of it is having A Bad Time based on the emails he sends lol

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Old enough to run XP?
Does Teams even work on XP?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cardiac posted:

Old enough to run XP?
Does Teams even work on XP?

We have a system that runs windows nt and has a y2k safe sticker on it. It's a system dedicated to one sample type we see a set once a month for.

Our info security's favorite move is to push patches that disable software not installed by it. Or that one time they crippled our lab by disabling USB ports for all devices except stuff like keyboards/mice without telling us.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

hahahahaahahahahaha loving rip

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mustached Demon posted:

We have a system that runs windows nt and has a y2k safe sticker on it. It's a system dedicated to one sample type we see a set once a month for.

Our info security's favorite move is to push patches that disable software not installed by it. Or that one time they crippled our lab by disabling USB ports for all devices except stuff like keyboards/mice without telling us.

NT would win the WTF award in my shop, by a good margin. The oldest system we found in our last lab sweep was Win2K.

My ongoing nightmare is someone in security suddenly enforcing AppLocker GPOs. Our Research and GXP OUs have Inheritance disabled, but they could still manage to break manufacturing, QC, and Research globally.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mustached Demon posted:

Fuuuuuuck

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mustached Demon posted:

poo poo like this is why my last employer banned IT from our lab systems

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mustached Demon posted:

Well the latter is kinda an issue for us. As a CRO, we are getting more and more questions on security and our movable media policy from clients.
It is an interesting conundrum, since I am not putting an XP machine anywhere close to network access and that corresponds to half of our Äktas.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Cardiac posted:

Well the latter is kinda an issue for us. As a CRO, we are getting more and more questions on security and our movable media policy from clients.
It is an interesting conundrum, since I am not putting an XP machine anywhere close to network access and that corresponds to half of our Äktas.

Yeah it's to limit data transfer to only within the network for security purposes. Just would have been nice if we were involved when they hit go on it.

Most of our instruments run off modern systems but we have a few legacy instruments. Stuff that we can't really justify a new one with their throughput.

Did complete my first ever true purchase request for a new system though! Probably the instrument early next year.

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

IT switched us from webex to teams, but previously got rid of our desk phones and webex was used for phone calls. Now that doesn't work anymore and there's no cell reception in the building so I guess we just don't use phones anymore.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does anyone know anything about or work with Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)? I see it advertised as a method for take-home COVID tests and the like but I'm incredulous that you can do nuclease amplification at home with no washing and a battery powered pocket device for $50.

They say it's as reliable as PCR. Is it really that good?

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

LAMP has been around awhile, but never really caught on. It absolutely works, but it's sensitivity is much much lower than qpcr, so it's never really taken off as a diagnostic tool.

It got picked up as people were scrambling for methods of detection during the pandemic and had obvious applications for decentralized testing. I think NEB had probably been one of the biggest proponents for it.

In my opinion, it is fine, but occupies a weird middle ground between antigen testing and qpcr. If I want sensitivity for infection I would choose a qpcr test from a clinic or pharmacy. If I want something easy, at home, and "good enough" to approximate infection then is use an antigen test. Especially because those are cheaper too.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Douche4Sale posted:

In my opinion, it is fine, but occupies a weird middle ground between antigen testing and qpcr. If I want sensitivity for infection I would choose a qpcr test from a clinic or pharmacy. If I want something easy, at home, and "good enough" to approximate infection then is use an antigen test. Especially because those are cheaper too.

Yeah that's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the info!

Here's the stuff I was looking at for reference:
https://www.ppe-supply.com/products/lucira-covid-19-test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I13U4noKkc

Obviously marketing is going to talk up their product's tech a lot so I just wanted to make sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Ah, Lucira. Yes that's a real thing and the claims about PCR accuracy are true.

I imagine that's coming up on your search because of inventory clearance. Lucira went all in on POC COVID testing with LAMP and ended up having to file for bankruptcy recently. Not due to tech failures, but lack of compelling IP and portfolio. I think a big pharma ended up buying them, maybe Pfizer?