Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I hear there are openings with Prestige Biotech in Fresno:

CDC detects coronavirus, HIV, hepatitis and herpes at unlicensed California lab

quote:

Local and federal authorities spent months investigating a warehouse in Fresno County, California, that they suspect was home to an illegal, unlicensed laboratory full of lab mice, medical waste and hazardous materials.

[...]

"Certain rooms of the warehouse were found to contain several vessels of liquid and various apparatus," court documents said. "Fresno County Public Health staff also observed blood, tissue and other bodily fluid samples and serums; and thousands of vials of unlabeled fluids and suspected biological material."

Hundreds of mice at the warehouse were kept in inhumane conditions, court documents said. The city took possession of the animals in April, euthanizing 773 of them; more than 175 were found dead. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tested the substances and detected at least 20 potentially infectious agents, including coronavirus, HIV, hepatitis and herpes, according to a Health and Human Services letter dated June 6.

I encourage clicking through- there are photos.

To be clear, the initial warrant filings appear to have occurred in June of last year, and the raid/inspection was in March. It's taken this long to untangle everything. Coverage refers to Prestige having been a successor and inheritor of material from Universal Meditech, which sounded familiar:
https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-...igen-rapid-test

This seems to have been the parent company from my limited research so far, which is just...wild:
https://pi-global.com/index.html

If anyone can get their hands on any of the warrant or court documents, let me know- I'd love to dig further.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jul 30, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Hey SA Goons, how much should I tip my Medical Laboratory Director?

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

$36,000 for a director level position :homebrew:

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I suggest looking up the address of your new job.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Shrieking Muppet posted:

poo poo like this is why my last employer banned IT from our lab systems

We do that too. I manage patching for lab systems at my site and support it for the rest of ours. It turns out people get very upset when you push a mandatory reboot to a machine that's taking a month to process $100,000 worth of samples.

My biggest nightmare is some clicking "Enforce" on the AppLocker policy and shutting down Manufacturing globally. I'll add the USB thing to the list.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phd for 60k/yr? That's a postdoc right?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it doesn't take a doctor to know that's a ripoff

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

Discendo Vox posted:

I hear there are openings with Prestige Biotech in Fresno:

CDC detects coronavirus, HIV, hepatitis and herpes at unlicensed California lab

I encourage clicking through- there are photos.

To be clear, the initial warrant filings appear to have occurred in June of last year, and the raid/inspection was in March. It's taken this long to untangle everything. Coverage refers to Prestige having been a successor and inheritor of material from Universal Meditech, which sounded familiar:
https://www.fda.gov/safety/recalls-...igen-rapid-test

This seems to have been the parent company from my limited research so far, which is just...wild:
https://pi-global.com/index.html

If anyone can get their hands on any of the warrant or court documents, let me know- I'd love to dig further.

this is like a really lovely breaking bad with antigen tests, goddamn

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Not sure if google translate is doing the correct thing, but its translation of postdoc seems to be accurate at least

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

My PI's asked me to start looking into setting up an automated pipeline for prepping Illumina and Nanopore libraries for our lab. I'm totally ignorant of what's out there and what's good in the world of lab robots. Anyone here got any experience and recommendations?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

ATP_Power posted:

My PI's asked me to start looking into setting up an automated pipeline for prepping Illumina and Nanopore libraries for our lab. I'm totally ignorant of what's out there and what's good in the world of lab robots. Anyone here got any experience and recommendations?

What's your budget / throughput?

Automated liquid handlers like the Hamilton STAR will be like 200-300k. You can get a microlab prep from Hamilton for 30-50k.

Automating bead-cleanup with a Cytena CWash or BlueCat BlueWash will run you 60-95k and is a huge time/tip savings.

Bulk dispensers like a Formulatrix Mantis will cost 50-100k.

Biomek and Agilent have low sample (>24), end to end prep machines that I saw at SLAS last year. nGeniuS is a closed system kit solution but I don't know if they do an nanopore stuff.

Edit:SPT labtech has a lot of options in this space as well.

Getting a 96head Integra, a plate washer, and something that can sub pool/normalize your samples will do a lot to get started for pretty cheap.

Mr Newsman fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 24, 2023

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
On the fully automated end of the spectrum, you can get a system built for library prep for like 40-60 plates a week from integration vendors like HighRes or Biosero for 1.5million or so all in (software, build, instruments).

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Mr Newsman posted:

What's your budget / throughput?

Automated liquid handlers like the Hamilton STAR will be like 200-300k. You can get a microlab prep from Hamilton for 30-50k.

Automating bead-cleanup with a Cytena CWash or BlueCat BlueWash will run you 60-95k and is a huge time/tip savings.

Bulk dispensers like a Formulatrix Mantis will cost 50-100k.

Biomek and Agilent have low sample (>24), end to end prep machines that I saw at SLAS last year. nGeniuS is a closed system kit solution but I don't know if they do an nanopore stuff.

Edit:SPT labtech has a lot of options in this space as well.

Getting a 96head Integra, a plate washer, and something that can sub pool/normalize your samples will do a lot to get started for pretty cheap.

The alternative would be to get used equipment which is much cheaper but with certain issues regarding whether it functions. The trick is getting hold of the controlling computer with the software. Big pharma tend to not pass that on.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Good call - there are third party vendors that sell used equipment but I don't have experience with that. Copia Scientific / Boston Industries are ones I've heard of.

Another option for liquid handlers would be Opentrons. I haven't used one personally but it might be worth exploring. They recently had a product release.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

ATP_Power posted:

For real, it'll be cheaper and easier if you just train an undergraduate.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
^^^^ :vince:

Newsman’s advice is really good, (I wonder if you attended my talk at SLAS)

PM me if you have any additional questions, this is mostly a placeholder post cause I’m on a deployment and jet lagged as gently caress

Based on your throughput if you’re just doing libraries at a very quick glance I think a Hamilton Flex, SPT Firefly or Beckman NGeniuS (kit support permitting if you’re going that route but kits are $$$) would probably get the job done, what kind of organization are you working for? I have really deep contacts at those three firms so I can introduce you to the right sales/applications folks.

PMs are probably preferred, I’m NDAed to hell.

Warning: I don’t want to publicly talk poo poo but I would steer clear of Opentrons, you get what you pay for in build quality. Hopefully the Flex is better, I was severely unimpressed with their initial options.

Full disclosure- when not contractually bound I have a consulting company that does this kind of stuff

Bastard Tetris fucked around with this message at 10:39 on Aug 25, 2023

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

We're a small (generally 2-4 grad students, currently 3 post-docs, and me the staff scientist) graduate research lab at a state university. I'm not entirely sure what the impetus was for my PI asking me look into automation was aside from some general notion that we're going to be doing some more regular sequencing support for collaborators and we want to do the library prep work in-house, but they've been frustratingly vague on exactly what kind of capabilities and budget ranges to look at. I asked about throughput and budget ranges and they were just like "lets hear the range of options and price", I know we've got some grants which have equipment budget to spend, but I'm a little concerned that we could end up with like a 100k+ paperweight taking up benchspace if we don't have a clearly defined plan for the machine, and a project that's generating enough samples regularly actually make the money and effort to get automation set up worth it over just doing the preps by hand. I haven't got the notion that we're starting up some big (for our lab) project where we'll be needing to turn around even hundreds of samples a week (which I get the impression's pretty small potatoes in the big picture), but my PI's also been mostly MIA dealing with tenure review so it's been hard to get a sense of where their head's at.

I appreciate all the advice, I'll take a look at the recommendations and if I've got some more specific questions I'll be back either in here or by PM depending.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

How many samples can an undergrad prep in a week vs how many do you need done?

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost
My guess is probably a Hamilton Prep, they’re real easy for generalists, can be very configurable, and have a build quality usually seen in bigger stuff at 10x the price point.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ATP_Power posted:

We're a small (generally 2-4 grad students, currently 3 post-docs, and me the staff scientist) graduate research lab at a state university. I'm not entirely sure what the impetus was for my PI asking me look into automation was aside from some general notion that we're going to be doing some more regular sequencing support for collaborators and we want to do the library prep work in-house, but they've been frustratingly vague on exactly what kind of capabilities and budget ranges to look at. I asked about throughput and budget ranges and they were just like "lets hear the range of options and price", I know we've got some grants which have equipment budget to spend, but I'm a little concerned that we could end up with like a 100k+ paperweight taking up benchspace if we don't have a clearly defined plan for the machine, and a project that's generating enough samples regularly actually make the money and effort to get automation set up worth it over just doing the preps by hand. I haven't got the notion that we're starting up some big (for our lab) project where we'll be needing to turn around even hundreds of samples a week (which I get the impression's pretty small potatoes in the big picture), but my PI's also been mostly MIA dealing with tenure review so it's been hard to get a sense of where their head's at.

I appreciate all the advice, I'll take a look at the recommendations and if I've got some more specific questions I'll be back either in here or by PM depending.

Yeah, stop wasting your time on this and do something productive instead. There's likely no option that will make sense at your scale and there's no reason to sink effort into this until there's an actual goal.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

what's the best solution for just magnetic bead cleanup. that's the part i hate the most and we have to do it 4x for our prep.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

crabrock posted:

what's the best solution for just magnetic bead cleanup. that's the part i hate the most and we have to do it 4x for our prep.

1. A multichannel pipetter and a magnetic ring stand

2. Git gud

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

i'm gud enough it's just so boring :cry:

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

crabrock posted:

Centrifugal washers like the CWash or BlueWash are worth it if you can get the capex.

Their tradeoff is beadloss. Doesn't impact our workflow at all though. I haven't bothered doing things to minimize it.

Takes 2-3 minutes with 2-3 mins of waiting for beads to settle to do a 2x ethanol wash.

Definitely worth the 60-90k, and you can recoup that cost pretty quick from the tip savings alone.

Should be able to demo one pretty easily!

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Also fyi I'm running both right now. CWash is integrated on a STAR, BlueWash is used standalone.

BlueWash software is archaic but I've never had an issue with it.

CWash software is polished but I've had a lot of issues with the hardware. Plates bind intermittently. Other people I know with one don't have this issue.

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

those look cool but our throughput is probably too low to justify their use. i'm in R&D and we usually are only running 2-8 samples per run, but almost every day I'm doing a library prep and it's the most monotonous and boring part of my job.

do you have any knowledge about low throughput NGS library automation, like this thing? https://www.perkinelmer.com/product/bioqule-ngs-system-cls155700

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Ah yeah. I don't have experience with those lower throughput platforms - I did see the nGenius from Beckman at SLAS a couple of years ago and it was pretty slick.

I didn't spend much time with them though due to the tiny throughput. We're processing 40-60 96w plates a month.

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

crabrock posted:

those look cool but our throughput is probably too low to justify their use. i'm in R&D and we usually are only running 2-8 samples per run, but almost every day I'm doing a library prep and it's the most monotonous and boring part of my job.

do you have any knowledge about low throughput NGS library automation, like this thing? https://www.perkinelmer.com/product/bioqule-ngs-system-cls155700

Revvity’s kinda late to the game with this and their kit support is behind some of the other competitors in the space. If you really like PE’s environment and you have good local support it’s probably a workable option.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006
Anyone here ever work at a startup? Is it worth working at one? Are the benefits decent? A recruiter reached out and Im slightly curious since the work sounds interesting. Im concerned however since I’m now on a $6000/dose medication a start up would not pay for it and would have to go back to the cheap one that made me sick all the time.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?
Did you already check/ask about the benefits to know that it wouldn't be covered?

Depending on the type of startup you might have comparable benefits. I worked for a flagship company and the only thing I didn't get was a 401k match. There's obviously an entire corporate support structure with Flagship that may or may not be present with your opportunity.

That said I used my wife's health insurance but their offering wasn't horrible.

Shrieking Muppet
Jul 16, 2006

Mr Newsman posted:

Did you already check/ask about the benefits to know that it wouldn't be covered?

Depending on the type of startup you might have comparable benefits. I worked for a flagship company and the only thing I didn't get was a 401k match. There's obviously an entire corporate support structure with Flagship that may or may not be present with your opportunity.

That said I used my wife's health insurance but their offering wasn't horrible.

Not yet, didn’t dawn on me I could ask a recruiter, Then again they would say anything to get a pay check. Might go through the interview ritual and see what they offer.

RadioPassive
Feb 26, 2012

My current gig is a startuppy pharma-related lab/office of 9 people in America, but we're owned by a European multinational with big money.

The salaries are all 30% above my experiences at Sanofi Quality Control, Allergan/Abbvie Analytical Development, and PerkinElmer manufacturing. Annual merit-bonuses are up to 15% of your salary, I'm eligible for a 3-year retention bonus of ~30% of my salary, plus I got a 3x paycheck sign-on bonus.

The health insurance is so good nobody's ever heard of it before. No copays. No deductible. Healthcare is effectively free, all healthcare, physical or otherwise, everything is in network.

I directly talk business with Big Pharma clients, their directors and department managers know my name. I negotiate, write, and perform whole customer contracts in the lab, and I have an inside perspective when clients present their needs and requests for services.

The job is so loving stressful I want to loving die. I'm literally in therapy multiple times per week with three different providers, I didn't see any friends this summer, fall is gonna be similar, one of my junior scientists went to the hospital from acute stress last week and is finally quitting over it. Our longest tenured employee has 16 months. I started doing cocaine every third weekend to occasionally feel something. The entire lab has a prescription for Adderall IR which we discuss openly. I'm typing this on my lunch break and I'm starving but I have no appetite and probably won't eat today.

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Not yet, didn’t dawn on me I could ask a recruiter, Then again they would say anything to get a pay check. Might go through the interview ritual and see what they offer.

Yeah I wouldn't bother with asking for benefits information at that point. Go through the motions, see if you're interested, then get the deets when it is time to negotiate a salary.

RadioPassive posted:

The job is so loving stressful I want to loving die.

gently caress.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Anyone here ever work at a startup? Is it worth working at one? Are the benefits decent? A recruiter reached out and Im slightly curious since the work sounds interesting. Im concerned however since I’m now on a $6000/dose medication a start up would not pay for it and would have to go back to the cheap one that made me sick all the time.

I worked at a startup that had just completed its Series A. IMHO startups are a scam.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

my pay, benefits, work-life balance, mood, and satisfaction with my work are substantially better at my biotech start-up than they were as an academic

there's a lot of variability between companies. some are shitshows, some are great.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sounds more like a condemnation of academia.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Mustached Demon posted:

Sounds more like a condemnation of academia.

Yeah it's this. Academia is also a scam, except it's more in your face about it.

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Start-ups are variable, they can either be the worst company you ever work at or the best. I prefer startups, large companies are boring where individual contributions don't matter. Additionally, at startups you get to do a lot more stuff.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Pain of Mind posted:

Start-ups are variable, they can either be the worst company you ever work at or the best. I prefer startups, large companies are boring where individual contributions don't matter. Additionally, at startups you get to do a lot more stuff.

Seconding this, I have literally performed all the different duties available where I work.
One should note that small companies are extremely people dependent and if you don’t mix with the staff it can go so so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's why I like my lab. My first non routine job or project was qualifying a new instrument. Did that <2yr into my job. We have too many techniques and essentially a revolving door of sample types to not get method development tossed to anyone who wants it.

Still have to put up with large corporate bs but whatever.