Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

Bastard Tetris posted:

When I was in academia we had this completely insane post-doc that was convinced that we were all conspiring to contaminate her FBS.

Working in a cell culture hood all day every day makes me totally neurotic about how I do things and I can almost understand how people could get like that. Granted, going from the mindset of "everyone else is an idiot and I can't trust anything that I didn't make/open myself" to "everyone else is intentionally contaminating my FBS" is a pretty big step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

MentalStaples posted:

... Can anyone offer any tips for the interview? Thanks.

I think that it's important to ask the PI about their research and about what kind of projects are going on in the lab. PIs love talking about themselves, and I think that it will help a lot if you can hold a conversation about the work.

Good luck, I hope you get the job.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

Zenzirouj posted:

Here's a situation I'm sure none of you have ever heard of before: I recently graduated with a BS and can't find work. I know, it's just me, but I thought I'd see if any of you have advice just in case.

I have a BS in biology, and I just moved to a different state and got a job as a technician in a lab at the local university. I think that the reason that I got this job was partly due to being very persistent with the PI. I sent my resume in via a hiring website, and then also attached it to a separate email I wrote to the PI explaining my interest. When she didn't email back after a couple weeks, I emailed again, saying I was still interested, and she got back to me at that point. What I'm trying to say is that you need to be proactive and initiate contact, not just wait around while your resume sits in limbo.

Also, I think that you should definitely try applying to universities and colleges. Plenty of labs are looking for full time techs, especially if you have relevant research experience.

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

stab stabby posted:

Is it normal to feel pressure to work 8-6? I feel really guilty leaving at 5 when everyone else is still working in lab.

That's the way it was at my last job where I was a salaried research assistant in an academic lab. People acted weird if I left before 6:00 and the pressure to be there for 10 hours a day ended up causing me a lot of stress. It felt like a daily competition to prove who was the most dedicated and it sucked. I ended up quitting and getting a job in a lab that is much more laid back.

What type of lab do you work in and what is your position?

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
First of all, what do you mean by "lab work"? What kind of lab and what setting?

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine

bakersk8r6301 posted:

As a research technician, I find that my day to day duties and responsibilities to be mundane, menial and repetitive. Though the results that my work produce do indeed manage to prevent further illness and ultimately save lives, I am seeking a more exciting and fulfilling career.
Are there any people who are in the same position and/or have been in this position and are looking for better work? Did you find it? What did you do after? Any suggestions on how to jump from research support to something more in the healthcare industry?

I have had a lot of the same feelings. Being a tech is interesting but unfulfilling. I don't want to get a PhD because I'm not interested in the types of jobs a PhD leads to and I don't think the lifestyle is for me. It's kind of a hard spot because I do enjoy research but don't want to remain a tech and don't want to move on to grad school.

After auditing my boss's pharmacokinetics class and loving it, I decided to apply to pharmacy school and am currently in the middle of the process. There is a lot you can do with a PharmD, including research, and you can have more of a 9-5 schedule and get paid well. I've been getting involved with the clinical research group at the local hospital and have been shadowing during the clinical studies. I'm also working on a research protocol for a pharmacokinetics study based on a rare P450 variant my lab found in a Native American population.

I don't know if pharmacy school has been on your radar, but if it hasn't it might be worth looking into.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

who cares
Jul 25, 2006

Doomsday Machine
My best acid story is from college. In organic chemistry lab, my friend somehow sprayed sulfuric acid on himself while dispensing it from one of those screw-on bottletop dispensers. I don't know how it happened and he couldn't really explain it either. It got on his face and his shirt so the TA brought him to the emergency room. He ended up having some minor burns on his face but was otherwise fine. The funny part is that the hospital took all of his clothes and he ended up walking about 6 blocks back to our dorm in a hospital gown. And this was in Chicago, so it's a fact that a lot of people saw him.

My best general spill story is regarding a mercury thermometer. A different friend's dad is a neuroscience professor and came to our school in Chicago on sabbatical. He got set up in a lab, got all of his equipment in, and then dropped a mercury thermometer. He called the appropriate people and they evacuated the entire building and closed it off for a day or two for cleaning. The cleanup people accompanied him home, took his clothes (a recurring theme in my stories, I guess) and watched him shower. The next day he was asked to leave by the PI of the lab he had just started working in. Seems like the response was a little excessive.