Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Adjuncting is perfect part time work if you are taking time off to have a kid or if you are in between jobs. But as a career, no it sucks. Its highly flexible and portable. Also postdocs earning 32k are doing it temporarily. Eventually almost all postdocs move on to vastly higher paying jobs in science or out of science.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Bastard Tetris posted:

That can be true, but spending your early-mid 30s making twice minimum wage with a Ph.D is soul-crushing, especially when you don't know how long it's going to last.

I dunno I consider getting a Phd one of the best decisions of my life. Also no decent postdoc pays 32k. You start out at 40k with imcreases if you live in a big city. That's still not that much though, so I concede its not for everyone.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Your postdoc is like any other job and is highly dependent on your boss and coworkers. So yeah if he gets treated like a lab monkey thats going to suck. A lot of postsocs are unhappy and so are a lot of grad students. But looking back, it wasn't as bad as I felt it was. I was given the freedom to research what I wanted (within reason ) amd the funds to go and do it. Most of my cohort from grad school went on to have pretty interesting careers they would not have access to without a Phd.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
There isn't really a journal called Pharm Outsourcing..........is there?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sundae posted:

In slightly less depressing news than my previous post (though still depressing nonetheless), my purchase order for black ballpoint pens was just rejected by our accounting department.

We make something like $25B a year in profits. I'm sure they can spare $8.00 so that I have pens. :(

Whatever you do never give in and go out and buy your own pens so you have something to write with.

Alternatively, write everything with a massive Sharpie. You should have plenty of those floating around.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Or monkeys that are retarded.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

bairfanx posted:

So, I just recently graduated with my BS in Physics. I've been looking around for jobs, and it seems like even lab positions want a not-insignificant amount of experience. Am I basically hosed for finding a job that does anything with my degree if I don't pursue further education?

Where are you looking? Location may be a huge factor.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sundae posted:

I'm gone. My entire line got cut, even the managers. :lol:

Any of you guys need formulation scientists? :)

I'm so sorry. Did you get a good severance package at least?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sundae posted:

Eh, it's okay. It was going to be a 50/50 thing based on what the organization decided to do. They were either going to kill the entire scientific formulations division from an actual "we do research" view, or they were going to keep it. If they kept it, I was 100% safe. (I saw my year-end rating; I was one of the best in the department, hands down.) They decided, instead, to let India- and China-based CRO/CDOs handle all the grunt work and just keep project managers, so they canned my entire line and kept the high-end scientists.

It's typical Pfizer, basically. Might hurt in the short-term, but I'll be better off somewhere else overall.

Absolutely. I stay on for a bit over a month (mid-Sept departure), then 60 more days of pay to comply with the WARN Act, then my severance package is going to be about 20 weeks of salary plus 12 months of retaining my health insurance at my own rate (not the COBRA rate thank god) and an extra $5K "retraining bonus" to supposedly go and learn poo poo with, but realistically to stay alive with. :)

All in all, I'll be walking away with about $35,000 plus my health insurance.

The real kicker? This was my first day back after getting married on Saturday. The first thing I did in the morning was add my wife to my benefits package. She gets to keep it all for 12 months as well, because it went into effect before I got the layoff announcement. :D

At least it sounds like your wife has a portable career (ie she can move around).

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
That bit with his lab in the cafeteria is telling. It means they all think he is an rear end in a top hat are deathly afraid of him.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

plester1 posted:

Sounds about right for a Hopkins lab. That place has a particularly masochistic culture, even down to the undergraduate level where people cutthroat each other and literally sleep in the library which is open 24/7.

Also, that guy's life story is kind of amazing, he was featured on ABC's Hopkins documentary. Dude came into the country as an illegal migrant farm worker who didn't speak any English and is now a loving professor of neurosurgery at the most prestigious hospital in the world.

I'd be intimidated too.

edit: Goddamn, bringing in a cancer patient to lab meetings is a particularly nasty mindfuck

There are more than one way to skin a cat; there are labs out there where the PI is hard working but not a total rear end in a top hat. They are very productive and are in top institutions/ivy league. Hopkins is a top institution but certainly not the most prestigious out there. PI's can be tough and work their people, but when he comes around and people stop laughing and get up to go, that really says something.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Scientastic posted:

Ignore these people and do a PhD. Sure, the money's shite, but after three years, you'll be a DOCTOR!

Oh please, don't fill his head with lies. Most people get it done in two years.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Appachai posted:

I'm not really sure, but somehow they've been there for 10 years. I think maybe they got a spectacular deal on the building

It can't help with stuff like delivery of supplies or equipment. You'll probably have to wait a day extra or something while your much needed NaCl takes a boat to you! :ohdear:

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Sorry, keep at it.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pain of Mind posted:

I just received a phone call from some HR guy at a 50 person or so start up I interviewed at (I never met HR at the interview) that said they would like to make me an offer, and they will submit all my info to the board of directors to decide on an offer, then get back to me in a few days. At least he did not poo poo his pants when I told him my previous salary unlike the last startup, though I still have no idea what they are going to come back with. I noticed this company has a ton of foreign post docs, over half the people I interviewed with were postdocs from china, it was weird. I am not sure if that is a bad omen or not (cheap)?

What kind of vibe did you get when visiting the place?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I think we all actually know what that company is.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

2. So the H1-B visa holders who work as researchers have been started on an incentive plan. They get a bonus if and only if they create something that the owner can patent. This has led to at least one researcher injecting herself with an untested drug on a regular basis to show how safe it is for humans. No, it hasn't been tested anywhere else, that would waste time. But apparently lots of folks knew about it.

I'm pretty sure that he's not going to get his bonus, because he probably violated several laws regarding human subjects. At the very minimum he violated several lab safety laws. How is he going to collect his bonus when they shut the lab down?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sundae posted:

I'm interviewing with a major company based out of Midland MI right now. The position is a biz-side suit & tie position, interfacing with R&D and QA.

I just used interface as a verb. I am becoming the villain. Someone save me. :ohdear:

We can't save you but your paycheck and career stability will. I heard that once you move out of the technical side, it's more stable and you get paid better.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Most of the time I've seen service reps, they usually take out the operators of the equipment to lunch or something. It's usually like one or two people. I took it as pretty much a version of client relationships. You are the service rep's client so they are trying to treat you nice (ie bribe with food).

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Pain of Mind posted:

:words:

:( Oh god, sorry that sounds awful. I don't have much advice to contribute. Did you post earlier in the thread about how you were hesitant about taking this job because the company was filled with older post-docs or something? Or was that somebody else?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sundae posted:

Anyone here done a PhD as a US citizen outside the USA? Could you tell me about your experience in selecting programs, labs, the application process for your school, etc?

VVVV Thanks. Heading over there!

Oh god, are you going back to graduate school?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

So for a quick update on the lab, apparently the DHS is investigating them, and the lab is losing customers left and right.

In other news, everyone's favorite lab is having some issues...

I can't loving wait for the lawsuits that will come out of this.

Holy poo poo. How would you claim monetary damages? The amount of money that is now required to raise your unwanted child? Millions!

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Haha derkinselmer and smagilent

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sundae posted:

One of my former co-workers has run into a strange problem at his new company.

He was offered a salary in the $75K range + a relocation package. The typical stipulations around relo applied, basically that if he left before a year was up, he would owe back the full cost of all relo benefits supplied to him. He accepted this, moved out to the San Diego area, and started his job.

He received one paycheck at his $75K range, and then received notification that he was subject to a paycut down to the mid $40K range. When he protested the change, HR told him he could take it or leave it, and that if he left, it would violate his severance contract and he'd owe them the (as usual, heavily inflated) cost of his relo back to the company.

:wtc:

Where would I send him to deal with this? Department of Labor? Department of Suck It Up You Lost the Gamble?

Meanwhile, I am now working at Lilly in an engineering-related role, so my lab stories are pretty much over now. I will miss this thread. :(

Lilly is not disfunctional enough to be entertaining?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

This is a slightly related topic, but loving christ it's getting on my nerves.

I'm at that age where everyone is getting married and having kids. And suddenly everyone is a fan of that loving quack Dr. Sears and his "unbiased" alternative schedule for vaccinations. Why is it that so many new moms are going for this stupid naturalistic bullshit regarding vaccines!? And any time you give them good information they just scream at you that you think they're bad parents and they know their kids better than some know-it-all doctor or scientist.

Sorry for the rant, my area now has a whooping cough epidemic.

I think being a parent makes you scared and that fear makes you irrational. You're now responsible for everything for a helpless life form--their financial, emotional, physical, social, whatever well being.

I once read a very good quote about this and it went something like: "If the way you make money has something to do with the anxiety and fear of parents, you never have to worry about being poor."

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yo Aagar, how are your kids? You have twins right?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I just read an in depth study about what a clusterfuck Exubera was. I laugh at Pfizer and it's management now. The entire industry should be aware of what a laughing stock the management process is.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

squigadoo posted:

Working my way through this thread, and I have to say the idea of going to industry sounds distressing and depressing. Not that my experiences in an academic research lab have been fantastic.

I'm someone who took too long and messed up along the way to finding education/work, and finished with a Masters in a biology field in 2008. Pretty horrible timing. I'm on my 2nd lab tech position in academia, and I am stressed the hell out all the time due to worrying about whether the postdoc I work under will chew me out for little things that may or may not be my doing.

My goal is to work my way into a lab manager position, which I noticed is occupied mostly by women who have gotten their positions by dint of being there forever and knowing everything. Case in point, my lab manager is retiring next year and celebrated her 25th year at this institution. I would love her position, but I do not know if I am qualified for it. Also, I do not see her position up on the job site for the lab so I suspect they have someone already.

Does anyone have advice or experience in moving from tech to manager?

My observations are that lab managers handle more administrative tasks and things that make the lab run well and not typically technical skills. I would hire somebody as a lab manager who has shown they can handle a lot of responsibility and leadership. Any technical ability on top of that is just gravy.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Sabaka posted:

It really pisses me off that no companies appear to be willing to train anyone, ever, for anything. They just hope some other company will do the training and produce a trained employee they can then hire without having to put in that initial effort and investment.

It's also a really bad time for industry right now. Thousands got laid off by the pharmaceutical industry and are trying to get absorbed back into the work force. Companies can pick and choose over tons of qualified candidates and not take a chance to take in an inexperienced hire. In other words, the labor pools are really messed up, heavily favouring the employer. If business was booming and unemployment was like 4%, companies would be inhaling inexperienced people and training them up because they have no choice.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

squigadoo posted:

I suppose reading the first 6 pages of people saying, dear god no science gets done, people are dangerous, we're more administrated than scienced, my co-workers are terribads, I can't buy black pens! was a bit shocking to me. Then again, I am not sure how different academia is from that, really. (ETA that dear god, I just hit the page on the researcher injecting herself and the poor male mice)

I'm looking to get into managing an academic research lab, preferably in molecular biology, that will allow me to do both admin work and bench work. My affection for science has lessened and at least I can track paperowrk. I saw an opening on my campus for a behavioral lab, and that is not what I want to participate in. I do mouse work now, and my previous position had me doing a huge amount of mouse colony maintenance, but I'd like to cut back so I don't smell like mice. At the very least, I don't want to work on anything bigger than a mouse. I had pets, yknow?

Ideally, I'd find a lab with a PI that is starting out so I can help build and learn from the ground up. I did see something like that in NYC if anyone is interested, but I need to stay in MA for the fiancee's schooling. There's time for me to look as while money in the lab is tighter than before, it's still decently funded.

I have experience in cell culture, generating knockdown cell lines (I have nothing to do with generating the hairpins though), cloning, IHC, all the basics. The biggest issue is seeing if I have enough admin experience.

My first lab had me as lab tech, supply stocker/order dude, and cat herder. If a postdoc was hogging reagents, making messes and not cleaning up, eating in lab, not emptying his vacuum flask, I was the one that told them to stop being a jerk. Also, forced them to keep track of their mouse colonies, etc. I've assisted with a bit of animal protocol writing, but not a lot, and I've tracked accounts for ordering purposes. Also, general maintenance: defrosted freezers, emptied failing freezers, tracked down maintenance, cleaned up after summer students (dear god, 1L of bacteria spilled on the floor), all that wonderful stuff.

What kind of administrative tasks should I work on adding to my work experience to make myself look more attractive?

Most of the lab managers I've seen do ordering, equipment repair and get unruly lab citizens in line. If you have experience doing that, it's about most of the job. Beyond that, if you are familiar with their techniques, then that's a bonus. I don't know what the job market is like for lab managers in academia right now though. A lot of people I've talked to are really nervous about the sequester chopping off 10% out of everyone's budget. If you are having trouble finding a position with your experience, that may be the cause.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Zenzirouj posted:

So now the drawbridges are up and everybody is hoarding. The talent and experience exists, but it's not being passed along. There's gonna be major problems when the boomers start dropping dead or finally retiring and these companies are forced to turn to the younger crowd, who are still largely inexperienced but now have nobody to teach them.

It's not going to be a problem because most of the industry will be in China by then and it will be their issue.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
I'm not a hiring manager but I've seen he process. Typically people are just too busy to notify anybody. Having to interview people just takes up a lot of time and really isn't most peoples' main jobs. I think it's normal not to call if you don't get the job. The people who do make contact to tell you they are not hiring you are the ones that are super nice.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lyon posted:

Hah well that was fast. LIMS is laboratory management software, specifically around sample management, but most of them have extended quite a bit beyond that narrow scope. The most common use for a LIMS is to track a sample from collection, to receipt, through all of the testing and the test results, review (print CoA), and then disposal. We also have modules for specific laboratory testing such as stability, QC batches, CAPA workflows, reagent/consumable tracking, instrument maintenance/calibration schedules, analyst training, etc. A LIMS becomes the repository for all of your samples, test results, specifications, etc.

Pay depends on function and experience like anything else. What is your background? We are hiring Domain Experts and Business Analysts.

What's the technical writer aspect of that like? Do you do documentation and that sort of thing?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Solkanar512 posted:

I knew a guy who would start small companies, get swallowed by huge ones, pull away a few of his buddies to start a new firm, rinse and repeat. It was nuts.

Dude what are you talking about? He's probably rich. In biotech that's probably the ultimate hope for the majority of small companies. Even if they have promising science it's really almost impossible for small companies to get past clinical trials. Some do, but then past approval stage many lack the reach and resources to market their products at launch. Launch failure can kill the product and there are no do-overs. The super duper large companies can pull this off and wring every bit of profit from an approved drug. Some mid-sized can do this also. This is especially critical since true first in class drugs are increasingly rare. Most of the time you have to fight it out with 5 other competitors who are very similar. In addition if the small company is VC backed they are going to exit as soon as possible and get their money out. They are not going to wait 10 years to go through approval, and wait 10 years post launch to maximize profits. They are going to sit on the board of directors, and loving sell the thing, pocket the millions and move on.

So I think my prediction is that the big companies will remain but do less and less discovery. They fill their pipelines with stuff they buy from smaller companies and then use their regulatory and marketing knowledge to maximize profits. In other words scientist=small biotech, paper pusher = big company.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ezekiel_980 posted:

It feels like the outsourcing is having an effect. Our r&d departments state side are almost non existent, maybe 30-40 people total. Our India sites are several hundred people now. Although I work for a CRO so most of what we do is tied to what big pharma wants to fund this year.

*edit*
Also if you were looking to escape GMP pharma land what else is there for someone with the Chem MS?

What does your CRO do is it mostly preclinical/discovery or clinical?

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
The Dalibor Sames/Bengu Sezen case recently was a huge controversy for falsified data. It was all done by the grad student and the PI had no knowledge. When other students/postdocs couldn't repeat the results they got fired.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Honestly if someone wants to falsify data they can do it and it's hard to catch. The cases that are usually caught are in highly influential fields or over a large swathe of papers. I can't tell you how many results I've tried replicate and then have it not work. I just go 'meh' and then move on to the next thing. Unless it's something huge like a method to create energy out of cow fecal matter people usually just assume that it's a unintentional error. And that's to say nothing of things that work but not as well as reported in the paper.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ezekiel_980 posted:

When i was working on my masters thesis i was talking to my adviser about a NOESY NMR correlation that didn't make any sense and she said "eh we can fix that with white out".

I'm sorry but but whiting out spectra is scientific fraud of a pretty high degree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Dik Hz posted:

It's not a coincidence that the burn-out and depression rates in scientific PhD programs is so high.

The last super controversy from whited out spectra was student driven.