Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Fisher sells this hand cream:

http://deconlabs.com/products/proguard-professional-hand-cream/

And I'm pretty sure that it's actual, for real magic. I badly want to get an exact equivalent for home use. Anyone know of such a thing?

I know I can probably just buy this product from Decon directly but this poo poo costs $40 for a 16 oz bottle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Velius posted:

GSA price from Fisher is still $17.59 a bottle. Amazon has it for $163 (27.32 apiece) for six. Is it that good? My wife’s a physician and every winter gets horrible cracked skin from all the washing and cold dry air.

Fisher Canada sells it for $42.65 CDN. It's not available on Amazon Canada :negative:

And yes, it's very good. Leaves no residue/clamminess and absorbs in seconds. I've been using it regularly for just a few days and already the integrity is coming back to my (what was just a short time ago) badly cracked hands.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

global tetrahedron posted:

e: she also likes teaching a lot! if the field were just educating the Youth she would love it, it's the cutthroat bullshit and publishing she can't stand

Could she teach at a small university or community college or any other such post-secondary place that's too small time for research?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

We have an Ion Torrent NGS. The nucleotide cartridges come with these mini CO2 scrubbers that have to be removed and put in hazardous waste when you're done with them. They're small red cylinders about the size of cigarettes.

I would like to know what exactly is in these drat things for the purposes of waste disposal, but I can't seem to find anything about it. The product manual just says "Remove . . . then dispose of the scrubber according to applicable hazardous waste regulations."

I think they're just activated carbon, but I'm not confident of that. If they are, and the only thing they scrub is atmospheric CO2, do they really need to be disposed of as hazardous waste? Is the reasoning more that the carbon can suck up and concentrate hazardous chemicals than the carbon itself being a hazard?

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 21, 2022

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

SerthVarnee posted:

I'm just going to link to this wonderful post in the OSHA thread, part out of fear that any of you might miss it and part as a way to make you feel better about the safety procedures in whatever place you currently work.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3904642&pagenumber=2000#post531992449

:stonklol: Jesus Christ

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Logged in to see if my last minute PTO request was approved* and saw an email from a collections agency on behalf of Gilson for outstanding payments.

* It was. It's a Tuesday problem now.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Does anyone know anything about or work with Loop-mediated isothermal amplification (LAMP)? I see it advertised as a method for take-home COVID tests and the like but I'm incredulous that you can do nuclease amplification at home with no washing and a battery powered pocket device for $50.

They say it's as reliable as PCR. Is it really that good?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Douche4Sale posted:

In my opinion, it is fine, but occupies a weird middle ground between antigen testing and qpcr. If I want sensitivity for infection I would choose a qpcr test from a clinic or pharmacy. If I want something easy, at home, and "good enough" to approximate infection then is use an antigen test. Especially because those are cheaper too.

Yeah that's kind of what I figured. Thanks for the info!

Here's the stuff I was looking at for reference:
https://www.ppe-supply.com/products/lucira-covid-19-test

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6I13U4noKkc

Obviously marketing is going to talk up their product's tech a lot so I just wanted to make sure.