Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

400 billion suns posted:

I have wanted to be in the biotech/research industry for a long time now, but am having trouble getting so much as a rejection letter for an entry level job (I am in California- North Bay Area.) I am signed up with several scientific staffing agencies, but that has so far only yielded one temp stint at a winery lab (which was a great experience but not my career goal) and NO hookups with biotech companies.

Any advice for a job seeker with less than a year molecular bio lab experience (outside of coursework) and a B.S.? Are there any industry/volunteer groups I can join for networking?

I am interested in a goon lab rat linkedin group if that ever exists :)

Quoting this post from a few pages back because I'm in the exact same boat. I'm graduating with a degree in microbiology in June and have ~ 2 years of mol bio lab experience. Somehow, I'm completely invisible to potential employers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

Pain of Mind posted:

I would try and find a list of companies in the area and apply directly through their website, many places don't seem to use job board type sites it seems.

Biopharmguy is a pretty good resource for this

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009
Is it normal to feel pressure to work 8-6? I feel really guilty leaving at 5 when everyone else is still working in lab.

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

who cares posted:

That's the way it was at my last job where I was a salaried research assistant in an academic lab. People acted weird if I left before 6:00 and the pressure to be there for 10 hours a day ended up causing me a lot of stress. It felt like a daily competition to prove who was the most dedicated and it sucked. I ended up quitting and getting a job in a lab that is much more laid back.

What type of lab do you work in and what is your position?

I'm a research assistant in an industry lab. Sometimes, if it's only 4 but I have nothing else useful to do, I start looking for stuff to do just so I can look busy. :negative:

stab stabby
Mar 23, 2009

plasmoduck posted:

Since I'm getting no answers in the CV/resume thread...

In a resume, what are the correct "titles" with research done as student (undergrad thesis and MSc projects)? Is something like Research Assistant ok or should it be "Student Researcher" or similar? There was never any contract involved so I have no idea.

I used "Research Intern" on my resume. Anything that really gets the point across should be fine, I think?