Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Sundae posted:

Is this seriously how it's going to play out? Every time I refuse to stay late, this schmuck is going to take it up the rear end from the company? For gently caress's sake dude... it's not worth your health. You don't even get overtime!
It could be that he's just so astounded by the awesomeness of SCIENCE that he doesn't see spending twenty-four hours working as a bad thing, because OMG SCIENCE. He looks at an all-nighter in the lab the way you might, e.g., look at an all-nighter playing 'Starcraft'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Solkanar512 posted:

You've never actually worked in a private lab, have you?
...I do now, and so do a bunch of family members, so I'm...not really sure where you going with this?

I'm talking about OMG SCIENCE because I was that guy, at one point. Since then, it's not so much "got disillusioned" as "realized that staying twelve hours after closing time watching the computer make things rotate is not going to save the world".

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Acelerion posted:

I recently figured out a solution that is demonstratively beyond anything on the market but we cant make it because some other assholes have a patent vague enough to cover the process. They have no clue what they have. So instead of technological progress we are going to sit on the idea and hope they are dumb enough to not figure it out until after their patent expires.
Why not form a partnership with that patent holder to jointly market the solution?