Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

My PI's asked me to start looking into setting up an automated pipeline for prepping Illumina and Nanopore libraries for our lab. I'm totally ignorant of what's out there and what's good in the world of lab robots. Anyone here got any experience and recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

We're a small (generally 2-4 grad students, currently 3 post-docs, and me the staff scientist) graduate research lab at a state university. I'm not entirely sure what the impetus was for my PI asking me look into automation was aside from some general notion that we're going to be doing some more regular sequencing support for collaborators and we want to do the library prep work in-house, but they've been frustratingly vague on exactly what kind of capabilities and budget ranges to look at. I asked about throughput and budget ranges and they were just like "lets hear the range of options and price", I know we've got some grants which have equipment budget to spend, but I'm a little concerned that we could end up with like a 100k+ paperweight taking up benchspace if we don't have a clearly defined plan for the machine, and a project that's generating enough samples regularly actually make the money and effort to get automation set up worth it over just doing the preps by hand. I haven't got the notion that we're starting up some big (for our lab) project where we'll be needing to turn around even hundreds of samples a week (which I get the impression's pretty small potatoes in the big picture), but my PI's also been mostly MIA dealing with tenure review so it's been hard to get a sense of where their head's at.

I appreciate all the advice, I'll take a look at the recommendations and if I've got some more specific questions I'll be back either in here or by PM depending.