Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

global tetrahedron posted:

Any posts/goon-recommended resources concerning leaving academia forever with a PhD and related job prospects/ideas for careers?

If she doesn't mind selling out then going into sales or something similar to it can be viable. My experience is mostly limited to the chemical industry but you'd be surprised how many six figure sales and marketing positions are filled by people with unrelated degrees because a white coat and a title on your card goes a long way towards impressing little lab goblins such as myself.

If she is evo bio then a big company is a good start, like Dow or BASF's life science branches, but places like Millipore or Microban can be viable as well.

E. I may have misread if you mean pro-social as in "good for society" or if it means "not stuck in a basement", if it's the former then societal advancement can be traded for paper hah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

street doc posted:

Layoffs are starting to pick up. Hope your employer has solid revenue or giant piles of cash.

Of course, my employer made huge profits last year due to a huge cash injection from the government due to covid which is absolutely not sustainable.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

The CTH room at my old job was too isolated to hear announcements or alarms clearly so it was generally a good idea to not be in the building when someone started a fire.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Reading the first page on that it sounds like the manufacturers weren't checking to make sure that the containers were even sealed and (reading between redactions) tried to explain away why they consume filters so much but never seem to actually buy any???

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:38 on May 21, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Company owner, frantically texting the FDA, crying in the same tone as someone who was discovered cheating because their spouse looked at their phone.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I believe it's part of the defensive litigation prep approach from the agency; once they've decided there's enough in a place to be actually actionable (with their incredibly limited resources), they want to document every violation so that the firm can't get out of it by getting some stuff thrown out for whatever reason.

edit: A lot of FDA's policies make sense if you understand them as under constant threat from extremely multiple armies of well-funded attorneys who spend years building test cases to revoke as much regulatory authority as possible - either in specific product areas, or the real libertarian psychos who want to destroy the whole agency. It's a century-long siege mentality.

Yeah, paperwork is how you get things to stick. Just speaking from being audited by other organizations before they look at systems and receipts heavily alongside immediate concerns because you could have a puddle of blood in the break room and it's a problem, but it's also as far as you know a one time occurrence. But if you can be shown that you haven't been doing X for a *long* time then that is a much bigger and much more entrenced problem that is well documented (at least by lack of documents).

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

How do I get through an indefinite period of 12 hour night-shifts without drinking all the 200 proof ethanol in the fridge

also lol

You're on night shift just bring in regular liquor and put it in some sample vials. Who is around to question you at 2am?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Lunar Suite posted:

The hospital I trained at used expensive positive displacement pipette tips to get 20/100/150 μL of patient samples into 96 well plates, since precision was a key requirement. To reduce tip waste (and costs), they implemented a protocol of rinsing the tip in 5ml tubes of MilliQ water, then methanol, then a second 5ml aliquot of MilliQ water between each sample. The rinse protocol was validated by testing the second MilliQ water with the triple-quad mass spec, and that didn't find any analyte - so apparently that worked.

However, I get the feeling this story didn't feature positive displacement tips. I sure as hell wouldn't try that with an air displacement Gilson.

Did they have you blow on them to make sure they were dry before using them again?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

That Works posted:

Then when someone physically broke into our freezer room in the middle of the night and put all of their now room temp freezer contents into the bottom half of my freezer (causing it to overheat and also fail) our research dean flatly refused a request to buy a backup -80C for the entire building/college/department and said "if its that important you can all pass the hat". But hey they got their office renovated for that same year which cost a whole hell of a lot more than a -80C would.

Why did they break into your freezer? What were they even expecting to find in there?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

What is a postdoc if not a highly educated intern with the pay scale to match?

PhDs can land six figure jobs pretty easily but that is also helped by the fact that they can go into business roles like sales and customer support with a large paycheck fairly well. At least in the large chemical companies I have worked in they were packed to the gills with PhDs in roles that had little to do it with their actual education. You functionally could not be in middle management without a Dr. in front of your name. The B.S/M.S. did the lab work while the PhDs called on customers, with only a few select PhDs in R&D roles that did actual research and design.

I remember once having a manager who would proudly say that he has neither knowledge nor experience with the material we were handling and did not want to learn. He was a PhD but it was utterly transparent that he was a ladder climbing scumbag, for that and other reasons.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jun 27, 2023

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Bastard Tetris posted:

Best career move I ever made was sticking with a bachelor’s and getting the gently caress out of academia.

In uni: "if you don't get a PhD you won't be taken seriously, sticking with a B.S. is a waste of potential"

In industry: "have you considered getting a MBA"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

MBA work is crazy competitive right? I know P&G will sometimes pay their good bachelor's to go back to school and I assume this is to move them into management or sales roles?

If you are a regular business major then probably, but for Chem it's more of "if you want to interact with customers you need a masters and an MBA is far, far easier than a masters in Chem". It's a straight up HR check box tick. So yeah, it's to put them in management or sales but it's not a packed field when you are competing against people without a Chem background.