Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
Can anyone recommend helpful resources for undergrad students doing analytical chemistry coursework (books, practice exams, personal advice, etc.) or tell me whether or not many of these skills will be picked up easily enough through a job or internship?

For context: My analytical chem course is being taught via a 100+ student WebEx (with entry and exit beeps enabled) straight from the textbook publisher's generic PowerPoint slides. 2 months prior to Covid lockdown I told myself that I'd never take any sort of math-centric online course again. I am seeking a B.Sc - Chemistry and do not plan to pursue graduate school at the moment so if I can scrape by with a C- to save 4 months of my time, and a couple grand I'm okay with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
Is this thread still pretty soured on grad school? I'll have my B.S. Chemistry next Spring and the only reason I can think to go for a Masters or PhD is personal satisfaction and interest, but those are criteria I could fulfill later in life when I'm not broke and burnt out.

Current plan is to go look for lab work and learn a hell of a lot of programming in my spare time (maybe move into data science?) but transitioning back into academia after having an actual life again sounds like a massive chore.

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
Just wanted to thank the people that chimed in about my grad school question. I'm required to do a capstone in a research lab and can certainly see where a lot of you are coming from with respect to project management. It feels very strange to have a deadline pushed until its inflexible and still have no idea what needs to be completed with 100% clarity.

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
Currently enjoying the 1 year of lab experience required for entry level lab job hellride. How long until I resort to a staffing agency contract job?

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

Sundae posted:

Like 8 years ago. :(

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Unless you know someone its the only way in

I happened to talk to someone I hadn't seen in a while who got me in at a place which initially auto-filtered my submission due to lack of lab experience. Network at every opportunity, jeez.

For anybody else in my position reading this, there are also some recent graduate (graduating in the past 2 years) US Federal Gov't positions if you would like to do research and find a possible in. As might be expected of bureaucratic processes they called me back for an interview about two months after I applied and a month after I had already started working somewhere else lol.

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
How do I get through an indefinite period of 12 hour night-shifts without drinking all the 200 proof ethanol in the fridge

Sundae posted:

I will continue to make dumb jokes about ramen spectroscopy is and nobody can stop me.

also lol

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit

CuddleCryptid posted:

In industry: "have you considered getting a MBA"

MBA work is crazy competitive right? I know P&G will sometimes pay their good bachelor's to go back to school and I assume this is to move them into management or sales roles?

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
IT has pushed Microsoft Teams to all of our old rear end HPLC computers lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matryoshka SexDoll
Feb 24, 2016

Bad Habit
I’ve got my year and change in at the lab finally which is making me feel a bit more confident. Any word on what IT/ data analysis certs something like a bioinformatics or B2B chemical company would want? I feel I’m leaning towards business information over the MBA or masters I mentioned earlier because I’d need to take a paycut to get on at a larger company with “potential” for a growth opportunity, has anyone else had to step back like this?

Only having a handful of staff means I’ve used, and maintained a ton of analytical equipment most people wouldn’t get to touch let alone rebuild / standardize this early on, but there’s no opportunity to get a management role here since there are so few of us. Even though I’ve helped to train a couple new hires, I don’t think this necessarily qualifies me to look into supervisory roles elsewhere since that appears to be such a massively different skill set.

Edit: I guess I should mention I had a “lead” title at a tech job 7 years ago but that amounted to some light project management, interviews and training. I didn’t have a team with delegated tasks or anything.

Matryoshka SexDoll fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 8, 2024