Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Ezekiel_980 posted:

So I'm gearing up to start sending out my resume, I have a MS and 5 years of experience in pharma hell but it's all in NMR which is utterly useless. How difficult would it be to transition to a position with some sort of growth potential like HPLC or MS with a different organization? Any ideas for how to approach this?

Do you have method development or instrument qualification experience? The work that goes into method development does not really change beyond learning the new analysis. Still a lot of statistics and paperwork and yelling.

Any ol jackass can run an hplc with established methods so you want to bring next-level skills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Don't huff xylenes please.

My favorite's the esters we use in the fab.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Appachai posted:

I have to interview someone who has worked in QA QC for theranos for 5 years tomorrow. wtf is this hiring manager thinking

You better post a trip report.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Soopafly posted:

You can see all the dead skin cells coming off if you do. Pretty cool. I also clean my wedding ring in ours.

Jewelry stores do the same! If yours has stones in it you should take it in regularly and they'll do inspections and make sure they're in there good.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

carnassials posted:

How easy is it to jump industries in chemistry? I've been a process chemist in a pharma CRO going on 5 years now. There are job postings that match my current job spot-on except they will have specific things like :

Qualifications:
-Emulsion polymers/polymerization
-Solution polymerization/solvent exchange
-Minimum 3 years of industrial experience with scale-up of polymerizations from lab to pilot to production;

First one I have no experience with, the other two I have done just not with polymers. It seems like something that could be easily learned with some diligence.

I ask because most of the process chemist jobs in my region are typically polymer or petrochemical. And from my experience thus far I wouldn't mind leaving pharma...

Just apply. Highlight your strengths and go in thinking the job posting is probably their cream the pants level of match candidate who doesn't exist.

I went from food processing to computer hardware manufacturing and it wasn't rough at all.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phosphene posted:

I have so many questions and so little context.

So our plant (food production) isn't allowed to have plant life within 2 feet so a while ago we had temps pulling weeds. Someone thought it would be a good idea to use 40% hydrogen peroxide on the weeds to kill them before pulling. So one of our temps had peroxide burns on the entirety of both of his hands which were completely white. Now i mean i've gotten peroxide on me a bunch of times and it hurts, but it goes away. That just looked so bad.

Why do you have that high concentration of peroxide?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

We use it for cleaning and etching at various concentrations. It's real good at gobbling up tungsten. Or your skin whatever.

Has a real nasty side effect of turning common organic solvents into explosives too. So please please please obey drain segregation.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Yeah why would you buy an expensive lab coat for it to get ruined by whatevers?

I only wear Costco jeans in the lab so I don't feel bad when a hole shows up.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sundae posted:

I had (still have, really) a little issue going on in our lab with a bunch of our scientists being very unhappy with the way the safety rules work around lab gowning. We work with easily-airborne HHC 3B/4 compounds (I think that'd fall somewhere around OSHA Category 1-2 range? Very low limits of exposure one way or another) regularly in the lab, and while we have fantastic isolator setups for every piece of equipment and engineering controls out the wahzoo, we still have to have a decontamination plan if something fails.

As part of the decontamination, we have a series of shower rooms. First, a misting shower room that helps reduce the powder aeration potential and lets you remove your exposed gowning. Then, in the next room, a full shower system to get anything else off, fresh gowning to change into, and then off you go with the medical surveillance group to the hospital because holy gently caress, that was a HHC 4 you were exposed to. The clothes or underwear you were wearing underneath the gowning are going straight into the hazardous waste bin.

I was approached by a representative of the women in our group. Some of them are concerned about losing their expensive underwear and street clothes in the process if there's a containment breach. I suggested keeping a set of lab clothes they use in their lockers and not wearing the stuff they'll wear around the office into the lab, and the response was "bras and underwear are still $100-200 a set" basically. :wtc:

My view was "stop wearing high quality clothes into the lab and wear the stuff you'd be painting your house in" but management's view ended up being "Oh, they're right. We'll allow people to expense their clothes if they get exposed to powders."

I have nothing against expensing the clothing in general. Expensing the $3.00 it'd take to replace my boxers and shirt is a nice gesture. It just seems so weird that anyone would wear their good stuff into the lab in the first place! Bras, okay -- they're always unnecessarily expensive compared to a guy throwing on a lovely pair of boxers and calling it a day, but if your underwear combo for the day runs you $200, you are not wearing reasonable clothing for the lab.

My objectivity is a bit skewed right now since I just finished the bathroom remodel thread (holy poo poo go read it in the gold mine) but here goes:

Who gives a poo poo. If someone wants to wear $200 undies then by god they can wear those undies. poo poo lasts longer and from what the lady Mustached Demon has told me it's tough bra shopping. I even drop extra on undies since they're more comfy and they last longer. Pants are another story due to my work destroying jeans whether they're 15$ or 150$.

Good on the management for covering clothes. Employees are more likely to follow through on protocol if they know management has their back.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

There's a guy in my lab who I've only seen wear shorts.

At least he still wears his lab coat?

Do y'all not work with nasty poo poo? It's policy in my lab(and like almost all labs) to wear pants.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I can't imagine not wanting to wear pants working with murderous death chemicals.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Solkanar512 posted:

Wait, what's wrong with 5S in a laboratory setting? It keeps things organized and clean. Also helps ensure stuff isn't expiring all the time.

We do 5S too. It's great being able to find things! The lab's also one of the few non-clean room areas with actual work being done so we get tours all the time. I am sure the suits like that we stay clean. Plus the whole safety aspect of not having a cluttered mess of a lab.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Preferably use your professional network to get your foot in the door.

The main thing those "entry level" openings want experience for is just general production lab experience. It's a big jump in work load going from academic lab where work happens at whatever pace to a production lab where they wanted results an hour ago. Hiring managers don't like techs who can't prove they can handle the work load.

Sooooo you'll be fine career wise if you spend a year or two in QC hell if that's what doors open for you. Stick to stuff vaguely related to where you want to go, however. Don't go joining a municipal poo poo plant when you want to stay in food. Wrong hole and all. Food safety actually might prove useful since you'll pick up some knowledge about that area of nutritional science.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Know what I'm doing when I'm done with vacationing.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That's like 80% of all lab work: instrument not working right.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That Works posted:

I'm laughing maniacally because I had a similar convo with Olympus over some confocal software literally a decade ago that was about the same as this.

lovely software seems common in labs.

Our ICP-oes politely forgets to calculate out dilution factors when printing reports. So the printed reports don't have dilution corrected values. They said they'd get the error like a year ago.

Thankfully we can copy and paste the data into a spreadsheet...

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phosphene posted:

Hi, thread. I recently got hired at a new lab. While looking through cabinets for soap i found a full spray bottle labeled “10% sulfuric acid” in sharpie. No one knew if it was indeed acid or how long it’d been there.

Turns out it was acid. And was used to spray down a spill of sodium hydroxide a while ago which promptly gassed everyone out of the lab.

At least i’m getting paid more.

How's Russia?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Beat them over the head with the fattest data dick you can present. Bonus points if their supervisor is there to see it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Claimed their sample didn't react with methanol when I have a pile of NMR spectra showing that over time the sample rapidly decomposes in methanol.

I stopped at my bosses office after and told him what the chemist down stairs told me and explained "i'm not loving working with this person, find someone else to do it". My boss, much to my surprise went down stairs and chewed her a new rear end in a top hat and I was greeted with a very apologetic email at the end of the day saying " I'm sorry, i didn't mean to say that, I hope we can continue to work together on future projects". I told my boss that I'm still not working with this woman and he can find someone else to deal with her.

poo poo yeah!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Phosphene posted:

Time for more tales of Food Chemistry:
The SOP clearly states: weigh x grams into crucible
Add y mls of acid to sample + crucible
Place crucible in 500C furnace for a while, cool to room temp, repeat, weigh back.

The problem with this is, that SOP hasn’t been updated in 10 years and the product immediately and RAPIDLY expands and chars as the acid boils leaving a giant burnt marshmallowesque monstrosity that permanently discolors a crucible as is a huge pain in the dick to clean up. Which is what happened to 3 crucibles today. It SHOULD say, no acid on first heat, acid on second heat.

Also our ‘chemical sink’ sprung a leak and has been draining various concentrations and states of digested sulphuric acid onto the floor.

ALSO also, a production employee seized the everloving gently caress out of an FTIR by running an incredibly viscous sample on the highest flow rate and when the sample didn’t test, kept bypassing the clean and purge to pull again. So now production comes to our ftir to test and everyone watches them run samples.

Also also also apparently someone forgot the step of “slowly boil off ether in fume hood” before placing 16 flasks with like 80mls of ether into an oven and ethering the hell out of the lab.

This poo poo loving owns so hard.

Ethering the lab sounds metal as gently caress.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Johnny Truant posted:

Yup, sticky notes on every monitor in every lab.

We have the decency to write them on the monitor or glass cabinet above it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

RadioPassive posted:

We run instruments that can only be controlled by Chromeleon but in a GDP environment where data can only be captured by Empower.

I'm quitting soon.

Do they at least all print out with that cute chromelean watermark?

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Can that lims goon pm me? I have a question!

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Sundae posted:

God drat... and here I was just making a lovely joke. :(

I appreciated it.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

goodness posted:

Maybe if you don't clean it. Have you ever had a cast iron meal taste like previous food? I haven't.

Good metaphor here. Cleaning a chromatography system's the equivalent of bricking a flat top without heat protection.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Antivehicular posted:

At my last lab job, every communal work space was a tragedy of the commons. The lowlight was the day I came in early to clean, saw ants swarming around the stir plate on the back balance beach, went to go send an all-lab email about "hey, bench is covered in ants," and came back a few minutes later to find that a coworker had measured something out on the ant-covered balance. Because as long as they're on the base, that's cool, right? :pseudo:

(I knew the balance had been used because there was powder everywhere -- probably ground corn samples, given the project my coworker was working on. See also: WHY WE HAD GODDAMN ANTS)

poo poo dude I thought we were bad with keeping 2-3 generations worth of obsolete equipment in every storage space.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dik Hz posted:

Some of the older poo poo runs better than modern equipment. You ever see a Varian 300 series HPLC fail? I swear the reason Varian went out of bussness and got bought out was because they could never sell to the same lab twice because their equipment lasted longer than the average prof's tenure.

Likewise, a Q200 TA DSC will last longer than any modern day equipment.

Hmm true. We only got rid of some equipment because the software stopped working with mandatory pc upgrades.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dik Hz posted:

You should track down the salt culprit and Cs then Ba.

You're a good person.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I like it when the essence of ammonium hydroxide hits the nose when I'm stuffy. That and lower concentrations of acetic acid are my favorite.

The higher levels of acetic acid do not smell like delicious pickles. They smell like burning.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Development posted:

r u BME guys cool enough???

:thunk:

Be easier to just print this ghs label: :ohno:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Pikestaff posted:

How often do you guys wash your lab coat? Mine usually lasts about three weeks or so before it starts needing a serious visit to the washing machine, mostly to temporarily flush out the potpourri of Interesting Lab Smells.

(they've been promising us a professional laundry service for months but that has yet to materialize)

Usually when it starts to smell strongly of my... musky scent.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Brilliant co-worker ran an organic solvent through the TOC.

:negative:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shrieking Muppet posted:

For the uninformed what's a TOC?

Total organic carbon analyzer. Usually used to see ppmish levels of organic carbon in water. Now it's full of carbon and won't return to baseline.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Worst smell I think we have is tetramethylammoimium hydroxide. Smells like rotting fish and :ohno:.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Kinetica posted:

I like bringing leftover fish and onions, very garlicky potatoes, and popcorn for my meals. I’m sure this is fine and I won’t suffer a horrible accident.

You're gonna find yourself in a vat of HF.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

gently caress sop review season and especially gently caress me for thinking to create a reference guide to condense SOPs for like 30 similar materials into a single document.

Each material now has to link to the reference document and each sop is a numbered list and formatting mess due to office versions loving everything up over the years.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Why is it as soon as I have finished gowning up and enter a potent lab I have to use the bathroom?

Same reason I always have to after the cal check passes on the icp before samples run.

Speaking of, my labs hiring a chemist. BS+experience required. Advanced degrees also lovely and gets more money. Kickers being 1) you may have to work with me and 2) 12-hour shifts rotating between day/night shift every four months.

Other details: Boise, ID. Working with almost every type of analytical chemistry test--icp or ic experience really sets you apart though. Starting out, it's 75% analytical work and 25% analytical development. It's a middle ground between a qa/qc lab and r&d lab. Eventually it evens out to 50/50 after a few years. Starting pays 75-80k/yr or up to around 100k/yr if you're a Dr. Great benefits. Cheap to live in Boise compared to real cities.

Last person left because the nights and their special needs child didn't go well together.

PM me or something if you're interested.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Correct answer: I'd have to check the manual. I keep up on my preventative maintenance so I've yet to have ant tires fail on me.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

My company's looking for a chemist that's chromatography wizard if anyone's interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Dik Hz posted:

My analytical lab manager gave his two weeks' notice today. Anyone want to run an analytical lab focused on polymer characterization for me? I guarantee the lab has more bench space than any lab you've ever worked in before.

Free bench space? More like free to quality more instruments.