Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

abagofcheetos posted:

Any suggestions for a bioinformatics programming language to learn? My girlfriend was recommended Java, but I'm seeing online Perl and Python to be popular suggestions. I told her to check with her lab, but I figured I would reach out here for insight.

(she has never programmed before)

Definitely Python. Perl is also a fine option, but it's harder to learn, so unless she has a good reason to prefer Perl over Python (like, if her whole lab scripts in Perl), I'd pick Python.

Tell your girlfriend to ignore any future advice from whoever suggested Java.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Skinny King Pimp posted:

Are there decent job opportunities for someone with a BS in genetics? I'm debating taking a year before trying to get into a doctoral program to get some better letters of rec, so if there's a good chance that I can get a lab tech/research assistant type job with just a bachelor's I'm pretty much definitely going to do that.

Sorry if it's the wrong place to ask and thanks for any input!

There are grad school and biology topics in SAL that would be a better fit... this is probably the wrong thread, because you want to stick to academic lab tech positions if you're pretty sure you want to get into a PhD program. Tons of professors hire junior technicians for two-year stints with the idea that they'll be 50/50 tech/research.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Does anyone have tips for first-step interviewing for discovery biology scientist positions? Basically, I'm a CRISPR and NGS guy mostly interviewing at early-stage companies and every interview goes through the same thing where they're kinda trying to figure out my experience and I can't figure out what the gently caress they really do but it involves RNA.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Lyon posted:

almost any job at a place like Benchling, LabVantage, LabWare, IDBS, etc. is going to pay probably $80k-$120k.

lol. We are so loving doomed as a country

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Whooping Crabs posted:

It's dire, living in Boston or NYC on anything less than $100k is poverty

and yet, we pay the vast majority of the people doing basic science in those locations (and the Bay Area) under $65k... obviously the guys selling lab software should be making good wages, no judgement there. it's sad that those wages are double NIH scale for post-docs.

I know there's a huge number of people willing to debase themselves in the pursuit of science so the well of talent is deep, but I feel like we must be approaching a collapse

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Pain of Mind posted:

I cannot speak for other locations, but the vast majority of people in biotech in the bay area make quite a bit more than 65k. I made that like 15 years ago with a few years of experience and no graduate degree. I really don't know what the range is, but I would assume most people with 10+ years of experience and no graduate degree are clearing 100k, while entry level PhDs are probably also clearing 100k. This is for pharma/biotech research, not manufacturing or academic labs or whatever. Of course, low income for a family of 4 is at 120k or something like that now.

I specified basic science research, which is minimal in industry. Biotech/pharma is obviously also doing discovery research (I work at that level and will only ever work at that level) but not nearly to the degree that academia is, and it's 100% focused in therapeutic areas. It is correct that industry should pay >$100k for PhD-level positions in high CoL areas.

I'm betting on biotech continuing to grow, but it will be at the expense of basic biological research, because academic research is just a terrible economic prospect and unlike other fields with terrible economic prospects but high social value (K-12 education, social work, counselors) there exist extremely obvious alternatives for PhD-level scientists.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 27, 2023

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

ATP_Power posted:

We're a small (generally 2-4 grad students, currently 3 post-docs, and me the staff scientist) graduate research lab at a state university. I'm not entirely sure what the impetus was for my PI asking me look into automation was aside from some general notion that we're going to be doing some more regular sequencing support for collaborators and we want to do the library prep work in-house, but they've been frustratingly vague on exactly what kind of capabilities and budget ranges to look at. I asked about throughput and budget ranges and they were just like "lets hear the range of options and price", I know we've got some grants which have equipment budget to spend, but I'm a little concerned that we could end up with like a 100k+ paperweight taking up benchspace if we don't have a clearly defined plan for the machine, and a project that's generating enough samples regularly actually make the money and effort to get automation set up worth it over just doing the preps by hand. I haven't got the notion that we're starting up some big (for our lab) project where we'll be needing to turn around even hundreds of samples a week (which I get the impression's pretty small potatoes in the big picture), but my PI's also been mostly MIA dealing with tenure review so it's been hard to get a sense of where their head's at.

I appreciate all the advice, I'll take a look at the recommendations and if I've got some more specific questions I'll be back either in here or by PM depending.

Yeah, stop wasting your time on this and do something productive instead. There's likely no option that will make sense at your scale and there's no reason to sink effort into this until there's an actual goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

my pay, benefits, work-life balance, mood, and satisfaction with my work are substantially better at my biotech start-up than they were as an academic

there's a lot of variability between companies. some are shitshows, some are great.