Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
So I'm graduating with a BSc in Biochemistry in a month, and I'm on the hunt for jobs here in Canada. For the past 4 years I've maintained a GPA around 3.8/3.9, have 1 published paper on nanopore technology, another that we're trying to get published (though it got turned down once :( ), and a third on Alzheimer's peptide misfolding that will be written by the end of summer. I'm lead authors on two of those.

I want to work for BIG PHARMA, but so far haven't heard anything back yet. I think Canada's a bit poo poo for that, but I have no problem relocating to England, the US, Germany, whatever. What are the odds of getting in as I now stand?

Killed a Girl in 96 fucked around with this message at 22:45 on Apr 7, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Sundae posted:

Are you okay with medium pharma, or do you want the specific "big pharma" pharma? If you're dead set on "big pharma" pharma, you're in for some problems. They're all basically imploding right now under the weight of the collective poo poo that has accumulated at the top of their management structures. Boner pills only go so far, and most of them forgot that you need to actually make drugs to sustain your company.

Stay the hell away from Merck and Pfizer right now, and probably Vertex as well. J&J is too fragmented for me to comment on, given they're basically a conglomerate of a bazillion smaller companies. Some are stable, some aren't. Roche is bad with the exception of Genentech. I'm told that even after being bought out, Genentech is still basically bio-Mecca. Novartis is hit or miss, but more stable than most. Lily is hiring as well. Based on some people I talked to at a conference last year, stay away from Teva for a bit. No idea on BMS, and stay away from Amgen like it has the plague.

Despite so much of big pharma being in the United States, I'd actually suggest checking elsewhere first. The USA has a boatload of social and political problems right now, and on top of that, big pharma's implosion over here has swamped the market with experienced scientists who are out of work. For example, my company's fired about 40,000 scientists so far, and another 30,000 or so to go in the coming two years. Most of the other big companies are doing similar things, though probably not at quite the scale of my place. We're hosed in a very special sort of way. Great resume / grades coming out of school or not, you can't compete with someone who has been in the field for 15 years.

If you're open to medium pharma, Cubist in Massachusetts, USA is a very nice company to work for. A lot of former PFE employees all ended up there, and I hear wonderful things about the place from them. They love it.

Wow, you probably saved me 3 months worth of research into the field. Thanks a bunch for the info.
I know you mentioned earlier how a lot of drug companies are imploding, but I had no idea it was that bad right now. 70,000 scientists in just a few years being laid off? I'll never be able to compete with that, Master's or no.

Maybe what I'll do is go back to school and get my bioinformatics degree. I know a few people who have graduated with that so far, and entry level positions seem to be around 65k or so. That's a nice chunk of change for a brand-new graduate.