Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

Yeah I know moda is almost non existant. I'm focusing as much of my time and learning on labware as I can.

Dead product, dead company :P.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I'm just messing around, they're still (probably?) the #1 LIMS vendor and our biggest competitor. We might be #1 now but no one releases their data since we're all private.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

The big question is what happens when the owner of labware dies and leaves it to his son who doesn't work for the company. Ideally I'll have broader experience before that happens.

My understanding (as of about a year ago) is that his son is back involved in the business. Vance has been talking to our owner recently so I'm curious if he's debating selling but it could be completely unrelated.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

Alright I'm officially job hunting in the bay area / full remote for a LIMS admin position. I already checked out Genetech and didn't see any open positions that matched. If anyone has any other leads I'd love to hear about them. Now I get to try and find a not completely terrible recruiter.

We are always hiring PMs/BAs if you want to potentially work for a LIMS vendor. You would be WFH but I have no idea if you could negotiate a bay area salary to make it worthwhile or not.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

Where are you based so i could get an idea of what the pay band for that would be?

NJ. They definitely take region into account but not as much as may be needed. BAs probably make $90-110k or so.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
It’s very different technology wise but LIMS is LIMS. As long as you know what problems it can solve and which ones it can’t I think you’d be fine in a business analyst type role and if the company is willing to train you then you’d pick up LabVantage fast and could be an admin pretty quickly.

We’ve been absolutely demolishing LabWare and StarLIMS and both will probably cease to exist as real companies in the not so distant future and will probably just ride out their support contracts for a decade.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I’d highly doubt it. I think that would be the max you could ever expect to travel in a month. BAs usually only travel for the initial kick off meeting and then it’s pretty much all remote. There are exceptions of course if you get a couple of new projects at the same time or if a major project needs more than one on-site etc. If you do want to apply to LabVantage let me know and I can submit your resume to the guy who manages the BAs.

There are also tons of “internal” business analyst positions in industry for implementing and managing lab software systems that you could look for.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
We work with them frequently, I’ve got colleagues who work or worked for them. If you’ve got specific questions I can probably get you answers, same for Accenture’s LIMS/life sciences group.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

No specific questions at this point, more hoping to avoid any pitfalls or a toxic workspace if it is one.

I've never heard any major complaints from the consultants who work there. One of their sales reps quit due to a conflict with the owners about pay/commission. I only heard his side so obviously the owners were toxic and in the wrong but that's really the only major negative information I ever heard about them. They do force us to do these awful full day software demos but that's wouldn't really be a problem for you :).

Edit: Does anyone know of good industry forums for pharma, food and beverage, oil and gas, etc.?

Lyon fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Jul 9, 2021

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Yeah Benchling appears to be much more on the R&D side but we have started to run into them more frequently so I think they're trying to expand their footprint. I honestly don't know a lot about their capabilities other than we typically don't run into them on the QC side of things. In the traditional QA/QC and GMP spaces LabWare, StarLIMS, and Thermo products still tend to be our biggest competitors but we run into ELN vendors like IDBS and BIOVIA, whatever Benchling is classified as, apparently Clarity is back in the mix (a LIMS/NGS software Illumina acquired), and then there are hundreds of other laboratory informatics software packages I don't know about.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
If anyone wants to work for a LIMS vendor we are always looking for Business Analysts, positions would be remote.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Spikes32 posted:

If you're tired of lab bullshit I highly recommend going the lims route! And from my job hunt this past summer can confirm Lyon's company has a lot of market share and direct experience with their software is highly desirable. I jumped from lab to lims in Jan 2020 and it was a fantastic choice!*

*must be able to handle large amounts of regulatoryly required documentation / validation work.

Yeah we may not be number one yet but we will be soon. And the spoiler is very much accurate, business analyst roles are primarily documentation (user requirements, functional requirements, validation, etc.) and customer meetings. The travel is relatively light generally speaking but there’s always a chance for it to jump depending on the project(s) you’re assigned to.

Salary probably ranges from $80k - $120k DOE.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

ascii genitals posted:

I went to the labware hq a few years ago to work with them and they have this beautiful bar w beer on tap for employees, and a bunch of fancy coffee machines. Lucky bastards.

They treat their employees so well. They have season tickets to all the Philadelphia sports teams which employees get pretty regularly, every other year they pay to bring your spouse and kids under a certain age to the user group meeting, the compensation is fairly generous (though a bit weirdly structured), etc. If their product wasn't buried under a mountain of technical debt I'd strongly consider jumping ship.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
Off the top of my head the big to decent sized firms are: CSols, Astrix, Accenture (acquired LabAnswer consulting group), Clarkston

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
IDBS is the gold standard of ELN from my experience. I've never worked with it personally as I am not a scientist and am, in fact, a dirty software salesman (formerly LabVantage, now at an MES startup). The issue with any of the big LIMS/ELN players (Biovia, IDBS, LabWare, LabVantage, STARLIMS, Thermo) is that their sales reps aren't really incentivized to work with smaller customers. It takes just as much work, if not more work, to sell a small system to a start up or mom and pop lab than it does to sell to a global pharma company.

I'd at least checkout IDBS but I have no idea on their pricing. From a LIMS pricing perspective LabVantage/LabWare are going to charge about $10k/concurrent user license ($5k for a named license) and then your minimum implementation cost is probably $100k but often much higher. That's for a traditional on-site/on-premise full LIMS roll out. If you're just looking to implement a simple ELN you might be able to get a reasonable price from the big players but it might be hard to get their attention.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Cardiac posted:

That have been my experience of Biovia as well, they really weren't that interested of us.
Others have been much more proactive.
I'll check out IDBS, since I have apparently missed them.
It is a jungle out there among all the ELNs.

I read this post from you before and this is why I have stayed away from Labware sofar. Seems like a good plan to follow.

What's your budget generally speaking? I'll see if I can do some quick research for you on pricing.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Velius posted:

We’re doing an ELN evaluation at my workplace right now, including demos from LabVantage, Biovia, IDBS, LabArchives, etc. My impression right now is that IDBS seems to be focused more as a pure record keeping/notebook replacement, while LIMS/ELN integration seems to be the major focus of LabVantage and LabArchives. But practical details are pretty scant in the demos we’re getting.

It sounds like some folks here have a ton of experience with these products, anyone have strong opinions to share? Our use case is a hybrid of lab and field work, and both experimental science and routine analysis so we need both notebook customization and templates for routine work.

I worked at LabVantage for 12 years so I can give you the skinny on them if you want. In my opinion IDBS is the best ELN for R&D/experiments/notebook replacement and LIMS is going to be the best for QA/QC structured laboratory processes. LabVantage's ELN is pretty solid now so you can sort of get the best of both worlds depending on your use cases.

LabVantage has it's core LIMS capabilities for batch, request, sample, test/spec, inventory (reagents/standards/etc.), and equipment management and then fully integrated into the LIMS are a few other large modules. Those modules are: ELN (true free form experiment/logbook replacement), Laboratory Execution System (LES, same look and feel as ELN but locked down/structured), Scientific Data Management System (SDMS, repository for all your instrument run files as well as the ability to extract the data from them), CAPA, Stability, Environmental Monitoring, Formulations, and there's a powerful Workflow/Scheduler/Event management engine that can be utilized as well to build your own processes without needing to code.

I say this as a former employee, so I'm obviously biased, but LabVantage is the best general laboratory software package on the market today.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Epitope posted:

When is the line between a LIMS and a database plus ELN?

Lines are blurring everywhere but LIMS are usually much more structured and ELN is more unstructured. ELN vendors are adding structured data capabilities and LIMS vendors are adding unstructured data capabilities so it’s sort of a toss up at this point. LIMS typically enforces processes/workflows and are going to be geared towards compliance with regulatory standards; ELN typically has less of a focus on this though that’s not to say you can’t deploy and validate an ELN in a GMP environment (for example). I’d say if you’re on the R&D side of the business you’re going to be partial to ELN and if you’re on the QA/QC side you’re going to be partial to LIMS.

Typically in LIMS you’re going to build out your tried and true processes/methods/products that don’t change frequently and in ELN you’re going to be doing experiments and process/method development.

Realistically though both systems tend to be catered towards the business/management rather than the lab staff. Paper (or somehow possibly worse, Excel) is still probably the easiest solution in many ways as a bench level scientist. Trying to improve the scientist experience is a major area of focus at my former company but also one of the biggest struggles.

Edit: I think ELN is closer to how scientists think and work so usually there’s a preference in that direction at the bench level whereas a lot of LIMS is more like after the fact data entry that the business needs for reporting, audits, and analytics. My old company has built a pretty decent ELN and Laboratory Execution System (LES, think QC ELN/traveller worksheet that’s tied to an assay/method or process like instrument calibration/reagent prep/stability pulls) to try and improve the bench level experience.

Lyon fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 27, 2022

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
It’s all red so what’s the difference??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

NYC or somewhere else in the state? One option would be to look for early-ish stage biologics or CGT companies nearby. You usually end up getting to wear a lot of hats but obviously it’s a little crazier and there’s some risk.

This may not apply to you since you mentioned you like the lab work but you could always look at scientific software vendors. I’ve been selling software to pharma companies for almost 15 years and almost any job at a place like Benchling, LabVantage, LabWare, IDBS, etc. is going to pay probably $80k-$120k. One of the biggest challenges at places like that is finding people who are from industry, you could probably get a business analyst role somewhere pretty easily. It would most likely be remote work with some travel to customers and into the office as needed.