Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

This thread didn't get a lot of action, but there was a bit of good info in there: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3836529&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

Depending on their writing, they could look into technical writing positions at biotech, pharma, etc. Some are kind of boring user manual, documentation, regulatory fillings etc. But some are more creative and involve worrying application notes, making scientific posters, or writing blog articles.

Different foundations also hire outreach people to help write for them, although I've found you need an in to get those limited spots.

Don't overlook public health labs, water labs, etc. There's a lot of focus on expanding the amount of work going on there from the pandemic to look at all sorts of viral and microbial things now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

I had an undergrad once who was helping me with immunostaining. I happened to glance over and see him standing at the sink, running the tissue sections under the water and squirting hand soap on them.

I was so focused on the “tricky“ steps that I just mentioned the washing steps in passing. When he got to the first “wash“ step in the protocol, he decided he knew the best way to wash something...

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

LAMP has been around awhile, but never really caught on. It absolutely works, but it's sensitivity is much much lower than qpcr, so it's never really taken off as a diagnostic tool.

It got picked up as people were scrambling for methods of detection during the pandemic and had obvious applications for decentralized testing. I think NEB had probably been one of the biggest proponents for it.

In my opinion, it is fine, but occupies a weird middle ground between antigen testing and qpcr. If I want sensitivity for infection I would choose a qpcr test from a clinic or pharmacy. If I want something easy, at home, and "good enough" to approximate infection then is use an antigen test. Especially because those are cheaper too.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

Ah, Lucira. Yes that's a real thing and the claims about PCR accuracy are true.

I imagine that's coming up on your search because of inventory clearance. Lucira went all in on POC COVID testing with LAMP and ended up having to file for bankruptcy recently. Not due to tech failures, but lack of compelling IP and portfolio. I think a big pharma ended up buying them, maybe Pfizer?