Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Lyon posted:

How often does this kind of work fail to show any positive results?

Failure is basically the norm. That's the nature of research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

I have my old department roster from when I started here several years ago, and I cross off names every time someone leaves. The list is very small now.

I'm envisioning you in the future, crossing off your own name and turning the lights out as the last to leave. :(

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

gninjagnome posted:

On a funnier note - I just found out today that we just rehired a guy that we fired (straight up fired, not laid off) a few years ago as a technician. This guy was a PhD level senior scientist, and is now working a job that requires an associates degree - it's at least a 7 level demotion. I can't imagine how desperate you must to go back to the place that fired you, and take that much of a hit to your pride and salary.

That's not funny, that's like the definition of :smith:

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sundae posted:

I will know my fate by Tuesday next week. Blah to layoffs.

(I think I'm safe, but when it's 50% of scientists getting laid off, who knows what will happen.)

Your workplace sounds like some sort of mental and emotional torture chamber.

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Sounds about right for a Hopkins lab. That place has a particularly masochistic culture, even down to the undergraduate level where people cutthroat each other and literally sleep in the library which is open 24/7.

Also, that guy's life story is kind of amazing, he was featured on ABC's Hopkins documentary. Dude came into the country as an illegal migrant farm worker who didn't speak any English and is now a loving professor of neurosurgery at the most prestigious hospital in the world.

I'd be intimidated too.

edit: Goddamn, bringing in a cancer patient to lab meetings is a particularly nasty mindfuck

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Oh, I totally agree. I didn't mean to downplay how lovely that lab seems, I just understand it from seeing it firsthand :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plester1
Jul 9, 2004

Realize that "animal husbandry" in a lab setting also means systematically killing them when the experiments are done. A friend of mine once got a job doing "lab work" and on the first day found out the job was killing rats for 8 hours a day.