Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Solkanar512 posted:

I've been out of the lab for as long as Sundae here, but that's because I jumped ship and the industry in the Seattle area has dried up like crazy. Gilead closed up shop, Dendreon declared bankruptcy and so one. Novo Nordisk is still around and there's still cancer research and food safety (DO NOT WORK THERE HOLY loving poo poo DON'T DO IT) but that's about it.

What did you jump to? I'm in Seattle and unemployed for months, so I'm trying to get into the world of the database.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

http://www.cen-chemjobs.org/jobseeker/articles/permatemp.html

quote:

The benefits of temping are plentiful: flexibility, the freedom to chose the projects you want, unlimited earning potential, and the chance to be the master of one's own destiny. While there are also some downsides such as a higher risk factor and the uncertainty of not always knowing when the next paycheck will arrive, many seem more than willing to deal with the tradeoffs.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Mourne posted:

Got an offer for a position in molecular genetics at 15$/hr, unfortunately there isn't any PTO whatsoever and health insurance would be 580$/month. I'm going to have to decline the job because I simply can't pay my student loans and make rent on such little money. I thought a B.S degree in chemistry would be a little more lucrative. It appears I have been misled.

This was my first job out of school pretty much after 6 months unemployment. Im going into programming now.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Mourne posted:

You have my condolences. That sounds just awful. If it makes you feel any better I am no longer even getting any call-backs for the hundreds of resumes I have been firing off into the void. I'm starting to question whether or not I picked the right field.

After months and months of this, I gave up and started learning to program. :(

e: I see I told you this in march as well. Chemistry isn't the healthiest field these days.

PokeJoe fucked around with this message at 01:12 on May 20, 2015

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Dik Hz posted:

My boss just announced that completed near miss reports will be a metric by which we are judged at the end of the year......

This is the same guy who, at the beginning of COVID shutdowns, asked me to look into mixing ammonia and bleach in 275-gallon totes to support our plants' disinfecting efforts.

This guy has a PhD. :wtc:

well, did you look into it? i bet it would disinfect the lab pretty well if everyone inside it was dead

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I didn't go to grad school but I did learn to program and got a job as a software engineer after burning out of lab tech work with my BS. A buddy who powered through his PhD ended up working in data science after postdoc chemistry work anyway. If you want to do tech stuff just do tech stuff now and save yourself the trouble of grad school imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it doesn't take a doctor to know that's a ripoff