Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Im a physicist for a venture capital startup. The only scientific staff left thanks to layoffs (there were 2 of us to begin with to be fair).

While Id love to share some stories Ive got a sneaking suspicion my immediate superior is a goon. Despite all my frustration I still gotta pay them bills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

In my industry there is a fundamental problem with everyone's product that customers would pay out the rear end to fix. We and our competitors have various "solutions", ours works better than everyone else but still has its problems.

I recently figured out a solution that is demonstratively beyond anything on the market but we cant make it because some other assholes have a patent vague enough to cover the process. They have no clue what they have. So instead of technological progress we are going to sit on the idea and hope they are dumb enough to not figure it out until after their patent expires.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

I'm not a hiring manager but I've seen he process. Typically people are just too busy to notify anybody. Having to interview people just takes up a lot of time and really isn't most peoples' main jobs. I think it's normal not to call if you don't get the job. The people who do make contact to tell you they are not hiring you are the ones that are super nice.

In my position I cannot notify a candidate until the other person is on boarded as there is a chance things will fall through and we will need backup candidates. In fact Ive been informed not to notify candidates of anything as that is an HR function. Guess what HR pretty much never does.

I usually send people updates from a personal email account. Im sure that makes us look like quite a professional outfit.