Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Dear lord I've been failing at the most simple cloning procedure for 3 weeks and now I figure out that an undergrad broke the electroporator 3 weeks ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Well what happened is that the undergraduate jammed in a cuvette sideways like the huge brute he is, it got stuck and the whole thing had to be taken apart and the cuvette needed to be cut out with a knife. Now the contacts seem to be misaligned but not to the point where anything is obviously wrong, apart from the fact that there's no transformants. We'll see if its repairable and in the meantime just use some other labs electroporator.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
The opposite, I can literally spit into a cuvette and get normal time constants/no arcing. It's probably the contacts not touching anything.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Any good textbooks to teach myself rudimentary structural biology? I'm never going to be solving structures myself but I want to have some understanding of the colourful wiggles I keep seeing in papers. I have a PhD in microbiology so I don't need to learn bio scratch.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Crosspost from Bio thread, does anyone have an idea where I could order a bacterial strain with the classic R1 plasmid? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R1_plasmid
I'm asking around at my university right now but if that doesn't work out I'd rather not just cold-call the last person who published a paper on it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'll be starting my own (microbiology) lab soon and really want to move away from the physical lab notebooks that I've been keeping for ages. Dusting off old folders and trying to find past procedures/results from my own chickenscratch notes, let alone someone else's, is such a pain. Any experience/recommendations with that?

I don't need anything fancy, ideally I'd like a situation where everyone's lab notebook is easily accessible online to me and other lab members (although that might stress out people?), and that keeps track of changes so that nobody can just go back and change their results. The simples solution would probably be google docs, but I think that's very easily editable. I've heard of people using Benchling, no idea how good it is.

Any input appreciated, even just to tell me it's a horrible idea.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Super excited about the Alphafold -> Foldseek -> Structural Database pipeline existing now. Finally having a way to find structural homologs at blast-level speeds is amazing. I wish the ESM Metagenomic Atlas wasn't such a piece of poo poo tho with regards to telling me what I'm actually looking at...

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Don't know about the company as a whole but I've been a big fan of Geneious Prime for 10+ years. I don't think it's an in-house development though, they purchased it some time along the way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Does anyone know of a good basic non-Eppendorf spectrophotometer?
I've never not used an Eppendorf but they discontinued their line a while back so now it's time to get a new one and they all look janky or overpriced.