Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

polyfractal posted:

Hey industry biologists/chemists, how much do you guys use the academic biomedical literature? A lot? Sometimes? Never? Do your companies provide subscription access to journals?

Until last year, we were permitted to have full-access to journals our company subscribed to, plus a personal subscription to one journal of our choice regardless of its job-relevance. For example, even though I'm in mat-sci/chem now, I wanted to keep up with my old bio stuff + major science in general, so my personal subscription was to Nature.

The personal subscriptions were canned last year, and we now are only permitted access to sub-site licenses specific to our job function. My computer's account won't let me use the site licenses for Nature, for example, and pretty much limits me to JPharmSci(pretty good quality), PharmTechnology (pretty bad), Pharm Outsourcing (absolute piece of bullshit with no value whatsoever). I don't get to anything beyond the applied field sciences anymore. No direct chem, no materials research, etc.

I didn't read them very much for my actual work, but I loved having them for personal reading. :(

Now... if someone ever starts the International Journal of Dealing with Assholes Wearing Suits, I'll be all over that one. My publication record will skyrocket, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Vladimir Putin posted:

There isn't really a journal called Pharm Outsourcing..........is there?

http://pharmoutsourcing.com/

Sorry. :( They've got all the impact-factor of a fly swatter thankfully, but it doesn't mean they're not trying.

quote:

You're mat sci? You get your degree in chem e or in chem? Or are you a PhD?

Late-state formulation development, so a little bit of mat-sci, a little bit of industrial engineering. No PhD (M.Eng + B.S), and I don't use anything in my degree whatsoever. I was bioengineering.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Agreed with Sci. Talk to your adviser and figure out what to do about your project. Quitting your PhD should be pretty much a last resort at this point.

Cross-posting from the TPS thread...

As I type this post, over 75% of my department is missing. They were assigned to a 3-day "Continuous Improvement" Seminar from Tuesday through Thursday, thus removing all potential for work this week. They are being bombarded with horrific powerpoint slides right now, I expect.

Meanwhile, we're going into yet another reorganization in the next few months, with a preliminary casualty estimate of 30% of the department.

Management is literally wasting a week of our entire department's time to complete a training program for people who either will not work here or will work in a completely different department.

:doh:

Meanwhile, I'm not invited to this meeting. Why not? No idea. I deal directly with manufacturing and supply chain on a regular basis as part of my job, and that's where the majority of C.I initiatives actually matter. They don't matter to the research-focused divisions, who are the ones who are having to sit through that crap.

I swear, nothing here ever makes sense.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lyon posted:

I met six of your "co-workers" this week.

Tell them hi for me, because I certainly haven't seen them in a while. I am the only person on my entire floor. I have not seen anyone but the janitor in four hours.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Nah, it's just a combination of 75% of the department being at that mandatory (for them) C.I seminar for three days and most of the remaining 25% saying "hey, let's work from home! woo!" while they're gone.

I've been just leaving early and hitting the gym since I'm stuck waiting for people who are at that seminar. :lol:

quote:

PS: loving lol at outsourcing drug discovery- enjoy watching your leads meet a fiery death in phase III after sinking 300 million dollars into them because the lab you outsourced everything to just made up results

I missed this edit earlier. I completely agree with you. In fact, I'm pretty sure (unofficially speaking of course) that this is exactly what happened to one of our high-profile failures early last year. Even when it's not fake data, shoddy documentation can shoot down a project too. I have had a batch record for API come back from a contract manufacturer in India with the API-added amount hand written to a value that was FAR too big (like 600% potency for the batch), crossed out without any signature or notation, and replaced with a number that would have been only about 75% potency.

Needless to say, a batch record like that is an absolute nightmare. I would pay good money to have seen the faces on our QA/QC compliance guys when they opened the PDF after I forwarded it to them. Heads probably exploded. I know mine hit the desk a few times.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 17:56 on May 25, 2011

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
The worst part is trying to track all that poo poo back to the source when they aren't even part of your company. You can't just show up at the gates of the plant and say "show me your paperwork".

Also, a correction: That should be API-added to a batch of drug product, not batch of API. It'd be awfully easy to detect if it was just pure API. :D

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh man... I've got a great one. Holy poo poo, the fun never stops here.

In a PM to polyfractal, I talked a bit about how my company loves to develop software in-house for "security" reasons. Of course, this backfires an awful lot because we aren't exactly software developers, but we're also not exactly known for thinking things through either. There is one piece of software which we DID contract from someone else. Our electronic lab notebooks are through a very major server / database company.

We're supposed to have support for unlimited lab notebook IDs, and they all had to be able to support up to a certain number (let's call it 10,000) experiments before it called a notebook "full" and assigned the scientist a new notebook. So, you might have notebook 102530-9024, meaning experiment 9024 in notebook 102530. Makes sense, right? This way, we could scale to the millions and millions of experiments that will end up in here over the next decade or so before something better comes along / makes its way through our bureaucracy.

There's a bug. The max experiment count (10K) was assigned as the global maximum experimental count. After the 10,000th experiment was added to the system, the entire thing seized up and refused to accept any more entries. Nobody in the entire company can document experiments in the electronic system until the company fixes their code. :lol:

Those old paper notebooks we just had confiscated to make sure we complied with the new electronic system would be really helpful right around now. I've got a lot of napkin scribbles to transcribe.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eunabomber posted:

Where do you work, Veridian Dynamics?

Not quite. PFE. The concept is the same, though.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jr. posted:

So, uh, I guess you guys get a ton of these, but I was wondering what kind of places offer work to someone still working on their undergrad (BS chem). I don't really want anything fancy, just some experience in my field. So far I've just been applying to hospital labs. Are there any more "unexpected" places with labs?

This is one area where the big pharma companies actually are kinda awesome. We pay our interns anywhere from $17 to $25 an hour right now (even more if you're working on your PhD -- my last PhD-track intern got $37 an hour), and we seem to have plenty of them even now that we're imploding. More interns than regular workers, sometimes. I highly recommend, if you have any interest in pharmaceuticals at all, applying for internships at the big guys. Just don't apply there for real work later. :D

Hospital labs, food safety, biomed companies like Cordis / some of the J&J sub-companies. Try USAJobs.gov and look for internships and student work at the CDC, NIH, and USDA sections. Those won't pay well (if at all) at internship level, but they're possibilities.

Check for summer internships at universities, actually. Some places do those too.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Eunabomber posted:

How does anyone in a PhD program have time for an internship?

Oh, you poor bastard. http://pipeline.corante.com/archives/2011/05/26/pfizers_brave_new_medchem_world.php

Yep. :lol: Fortunately, I'm in a bizarre enough subset of pharm development that I'm safe for probably another year or so. I don't have much of a long-term future, but I'm hoping to at least last until after my wedding/honeymoon as a convenience. :) Worst case scenario, I'll have a pretty nice severance package coming my way.

As for the PhD thing, I have no idea. I've noticed that they're all six-month assignments, rather than "summer" assignments, so it's nothing to do with their programs sending them home for the summers or anything like that. (I remember some of the programs at CU did that; they had no budget for stipends or tuition coverage for summer sessions, so they effectively ran an academic year unless the lab was rolling in money and could afford to pay their students out of that budget.) I assumed, on the basis of the 6-mo assignments, that it had to be some sort of industry-work requirement or something. Quite a few were from Purdue, also.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
:lol: Yeah, stay far, far away.

That reminds me of Sandoz's production manager position, which was hiring for someone to, as per the phone interview, "handle an existing, multi-volume backlog of quality events".

Yeah, no thanks. That would both mean that 1) their production methodologies suck horribly, and 2) that as soon as that backlog is settled out, they're going to cut people. Plus I'd have to live in the midwest. No thanks.

In other news, I've been informed that I'm as safe as I can be with regard to my company's upcoming layoffs. If there are any slots at all for laboratory scientists in the new department, I've got one. It's pretty ridiculous that upper management is actually debating having literally zero scientists, but the general consensus is that it's a pretty slim chance that they'll actually do that. SOMEONE here has to be able to do little feasibility checks on projects before we ship them to India and sign contracts, and it sure as gently caress won't be the managers.

I am probably safe. :)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 13:12 on May 31, 2011

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

I'm beginning to believe that you actually have a job at the Hotel California.

As far as the jobs go, why don't the major job listings sites allow for comments? I'd love to mock the folks that can't keep a quality system or require management level certifications for entry level jobs.

On the first point, there's a pretty strong chance of it. :) This company really is kind of amazing in how well it parodies itself.

Yeah, the management level certifications for entry level jobs are always amusing, because if there's one class that never seems to be laid off, it's managers. Where are all these unemployed managers they think are going to be leaping onto a position where they'll get fired in 6 months?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Contractor / temp usage is varied by department here, but we're getting more and more of them these days. They're starting to trickle into actual scientific positions as well, which was not the norm. It used to be cleaning staff, maintenance, cafeteria workers, etc who were all contractors here. (For the purposes of the comparison, "contractor" here might as well mean temp-worker. There's almost no difference in these cases; it's not like we're hiring ICs or anything.)

Contractors are banned from attending any meetings here, so if the position requires presenting or discussing significance of research / findings, they won't be contracted. This more or less means (barring a change in the rules for temps) that primary scientists will never get temped, but will remain either full-time here or full-time in China / India.

For all the craziness of my company, we have absolutely unbelievable benefits. That's a big part of what makes it so hard for me to just get up and leave (other than unemployment % right now). I'd be hard-pressed to even come close to what I get here, benefit-wise.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We are officially down another lab scientist in my department. She gave her two weeks notice today. We had a total of five including her. One of them is 100% guaranteed to be laid off (it's a good thing, though - long story short, his manager is doing it so that the guy gets his full retirement benefits instead of getting shafted next year), and one is finishing his last year of night classes for his law degree. We're going to have two total lab scientists for a department of 75-100 people.

I'm curious who is going to do all the work, because the other 73 haven't set foot in a lab in a decade or so. They're basically useless desk-hogs, but they're not going to volunteer to lay themselves off, so clearly we lab scientists will have to go.

There used to be 40-50 of us, too. We're going to be down to three, possibly two, after less than four years. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
In slightly less depressing news than my previous post (though still depressing nonetheless), my purchase order for black ballpoint pens was just rejected by our accounting department.

We make something like $25B a year in profits. I'm sure they can spare $8.00 so that I have pens. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Steal all of theirs. If they complain say it's for important, life-saving research. Insinuate that they're getting in the way of a cure for cancer and that you need every loving pen they have.

I took an entire box from the managerial supplies cabinet before going to get lunch. Hope they don't need black pens, because all they have left are red and green.

quote:

Whatever you do never give in and go out and buy your own pens so you have something to write with.

gently caress that. I do not spend a dime of my own money on this company.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

polyfractal posted:

Look at it another way: Your company makes $25B a year in profits because they don't spare you and other scientists $8.00 for pens. :v:

Perfect! I can add that to taking away our first aid kits as examples of "cost savings measures" that my company has performed.

The first aid kits already existed and were removed. No money was saved in that cost-savings measure.

On a non-TPS style science topic, I'm actually having a bit of fun working with nano-API drug forms today, but seriously gently caress amorphous foaming. If I have to spray nitrogen on one more pile of shaving-cream looking poo poo, I'm going to punch a kitten. Some compounds just don't like being milled that small, and their physical stability goes out the window instantly even if they'd be fine when left to larger scales.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oh god, don't get me started on that. At least three separate calls have been made by (now former) co-workers. Nothing has ever happened. The only agencies which have set foot on this site since I started here are the FDA and the DEA. OSHA has not been here since I started working here.

Edit: Clarification - not saying that they got fired for calling. They just got laid off like everyone else.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Some habits are really, really hard to break. :lol:

I worked with a post-doc at Cold Spring Harbor Labs who did that with murine blood samples. Sure, no volatility to deal with there, but :psyduck: all the same.

Regarding the "everything goes to occupational health services" thing - that's our policy here as well (though they were quite frank that they were pulling the first aid kits for cost savings). The problem is that my building is not ambulance-accessible. Well, I suppose it technically is in the sense that they could park a half mile away and run through the building with a stretcher, but there is literally no direct access for any emergency services to my laboratory. Someone losing a hand in my lab (possible w/ granulation equipment) will absolutely, 100% not get help in time. Firefighters also stand no chance of getting to anything in the lab either, but that's actually less of a danger than injury.

Our OHS offices are about a 10-15 minute walk from my lab. Nobody's doing that walk for a paper cut, and nobody's going to make it there if it's a serious injury. The entire policy is poo poo.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

Do you have any links to them? We kinda treat safety as a joke here, and it would go well with the cynical attitude of the employees and constant client tours.

We had a whole photoshop thread about it few years ago.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If there's one thing I don't miss, it's cell cultures. gently caress nights. gently caress weekends. gently caress other people's bleach wipes. In fact, gently caress bleach. I'm never wearing white again.

(Not bitter.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Wow. I actually cannot even come close to matching any of those. I am humbled. :lol:

I... um... work with lactose. Yeah. If you're Lac-intolerant and lick the bag or something, you might get a tummy ache. OOH SCARY.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

john ashpool posted:

Am I correct in assuming that most analytical chemists with salaries are overtime exempt?

This is certainly the case at my company, at least.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Oof... good luck with that. :(

Found a new job yet?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
From what I've read in your posts, you're already seeing it fall apart in real time. Food inspection / QC firm actively not caring about quality audits is a pretty good sign that poo poo's broken.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I'd read it if you wrote it; of course, don't go risking jobs or confidentiality agreements to entertain a bunch of goons. :)

Another week, another two lab scientists down! My favorite co-worker has quit, and her office-mate is going on six-month personal leave for an unstated reason.

Meanwhile, among the remaining laboratory scientists, one is guaranteed to get cut (he wants to be), one is finishing law school at night (he'll leave), one has a military wife who was just reassigned across the country and who hasn't been living with her for two years because of her last assignment, and one is me.

We may be getting a few new ones from the non-discovery research group, which is being dissolved next month. No idea how many they're keeping.

I have my old department roster from when I started here several years ago, and I cross off names every time someone leaves. The list is very small now.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Just got out of a two-hour, brain-numbingly bad meeting. Our branch of the company has decided to adopt the Toyota A3 protocol to "become a learning organization". They have somehow decided, before ever trying it, that this will cut resource requirements across all facets of our work by 50%, including employee hours-needed.

My favorite slides were 1) the one where they showed time-lines going from 48-91 days to 5-17 days for something that is never, EVER completed within the original window, and 2) the one announcing that since these timelines won't need as many people, we can expect a significant workforce reduction in the range of 50%. :lol:

This is going to backfire so badly.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Woo for new organizational guidelines!

I now have to get any and all travel approved by business unit leaders (that's like VP-level and up here), I'm required to use my own car or public transportation (somehow, trains aren't counted as public transit), still have a dollar-value max on travel expenses, have to approve flights 6 months in advance, and our meal allowances have been significantly reduced. All travel within New York City should be by personal car or walking. Personal car mileage reimbursements reduced. No toll reimbursement. No on-job vehicle damage reimbursement. They specifically deny public transit in NYC. Go figure?

All journal subscriptions are canceled immediately, we now have to get business unit leader approval for any training expenses (this won't happen) or mentoring arrangements.

Retiree farewell meals cannot exceed travel meal-arrangements, and no non-employees (including the retiree's family) can be permitted to come. Award trips for field force top-sellers are reduced in value, and family members who want to go have to pay their own way. (The trip is only paid for for the seller himself.) Failure to use the trip on the assigned period forfeits the trip.

We also have an announcement set for 10:00 today about the layoffs and reorganization. There is a strong rumor going around that the deal they were trying to pull over in the UK fell through, in which case there's going to be an awful lot of pain to spread around.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I don't know why all the hate for the subway or buses in NYC. They're amazing, and I guarantee this rule is going to be broken by thousands of employees. Our corporate headquarters is in NYC, and I guarantee you that they're 1) not loving driving in the city, and 2) aren't walking across the city in biz-attire in the middle of the summer.

They're gonna be on the subway or in taxis.

I'm going to be fine one way or another. If I get laid off, I have an awesome severance package, by my standards at least, waiting for me (it'll be roughly $33,000 after taxes + all my health/dental benefits for 12 months). If I don't get targeted, I've still got my job. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Second meeting's done here. We'll be getting a bunch of layoffs in late Aug / early Sept. They completely bungled the plan for the UK site, and as a result we're going to have a lot more layoffs here in USA to account for increased costs.

In short, they wanted to lay off all the UK staff, sell the site to a CRO, and then contract the CRO to work for them while mandating that the CRO hire their old workers. This way, there would be no information-loss associated with transferring projects to the CRO, because everyone who worked on the projects before would be working on the projects after.

No CRO in their right mind is going to do that, of course. That's asinine. Not only would it destroy their internal business models, but it would saturate them with (in their view) untested employees who are CLEARLY too expensive. How do you know they're too expensive? Because someone's trying to sell them to you and then immediately contract them from you. If they were worth their price-tag in the company's view, the company wouldn't be trying to foist them off on you.

So end result seems to be that we found no takers, are laying off a few thousand (leaving ~350 behind at that enormous site), and eating the cost differences until we can find a buyer for the site. Once that's found, we'd sell the site and then lease particular buildings in it to hold our workers.

:doh:

Sundae fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jun 23, 2011

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Bastard Tetris posted:

These incubators can autoclave themselves, are insulated with aerogel, and have 5x the access speed of our old incubators.

Oh yeah? Well, my stability ovens sometimes have working temperature controls!

(Are you hiring?)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
We've been given new numbers now for the reductions in my department. We're expecting a 40-50% overall reduction, with a 75% reduction in what few laboratory scientists remain in my department.

Based on those numbers, we're going to have somewhere between one and two laboratory scientists remaining when it's all said and done. Perhaps one full scientist and a lonely torso rolling around the wet lab?

On actual sciencey topics, does anyone have ideas for getting nanoparticles out of suspension without a spray-dryer, cyclonic separator, or any filters small enough to catch 100 nm diameters? I must confess that I am stumped. I guess I could leave it to air-dry, but that's not particularly ideal either. I'd prefer something that won't take a week and potentially cause larger agglomeration issues. :)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 6, 2011

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
First, don't tell anyone you're doing it to fill a 1-year gap unless it's a temp-position / contract position already. If it is a known thing that you're applying for a 9-mo or 1-yr position, then it can possibly be beneficial. Otherwise, keep your mouth shut. :) The general belief is that it takes a year or more to train you in the first place (total bullshit, but what more can you expect from HR?), so if they knew you were immediately going to leave, they'd not bother with you. This is especially true given you're in microbio, so you're going to be competing against every laid-off biotech employee for the last three years.

Your situation might be one of the few situations where I actually recommend looking at CROs. Most of them loving suck for long-term career ambitions / give you jack poo poo in the way of benefits beyond health insurance, but they'll give you a year of experience and pay your bills. They will be more or less monotonous labwork for their customers, so don't expect an attachment to your project or anything.

I might recommend looking at them because you're already planning on not staying there. Think of it as the difference between being the college kid working at JC Penny during the summer, and the 45 yr-old working with you who has been there for over a decade. The college kid is hopefully just passing through, whereas the 45 yr-old has stalled out and is probably miserable. Don't stay at your CRO, but it can be perfectly suitable in the short-term.

Look at http://www.biospace.com/ and http://www.newscientistjobs.com for starters.

The second one seems cheesy, but believe it or not, you can find some decent jobs through it. That's where I found my current job (the job is decent, it's just that my company is collapsing).

On Biospace, check out the regional company lists for more information, check their job boards, and then go to the actual websites for companies in your region. If you want to do a bit more in-person stuff, Biospace also lists regional job fairs for sciences. If you're in California, you should have plenty of them around unless things have changed drastically since I last looked.

Good luck in dental school! :)

Edit:

quote:

preferably cheap living, closer to CA

Cheap + California? Is this even possible?

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jul 6, 2011

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
You know, as loving pathetic as my company is sometimes and as crazy as some of the big-pharma stories can get, I kinda like it when things go right. Yay for two cancer meds getting approval! :D

Of course, that doesn't change the layoffs, but at least I got to see us actually make a little progress for once. :)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I applied in August 2007 for my position, interviewed in late September, had an offer by early October. (Started in late January '08.)

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Been at least a day since I bitched in this thread! Here's what's been missed...

Thursday last week: My department shuts down all the lights in the lab for cost savings, tells us to use flashlights.

Friday: Legal department gets them turned back on, calls management (paraphrased) a bunch of retarded fuckwits, begs us not to sue them.

Monday: A project of mine is rejected because we come in at 3.8 cents per dose in manufacturing costs, and the business guys want < 3.0 cents per dose. Oh and they never bothered mentioning that they paid $300,000 to generics company to develop the drug at the same time as us, and when the generics company failed at it, the business guys charged off the $300K against our project so that it wouldn't affect their budgets. We would be close to, if not under, $0.03 if you exclude the $300K charge. Meanwhile, the biz guys have decided to go with the generics product (which isn't stable!) because if they cut the generics project, it makes them look bad while cutting our project us makes MY group look bad. :lol:

Yesterday: Company (bring your own food) Picnic to celebrate our great earnings in 2Q 2011.

Today: A large meeting to discuss layoffs due to our poor earnings in 2Q 2011.

My company is a deaf, blind, and partially-retarded hydra, and the heads all hate each other too.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Solkanar512 posted:

My fiancee thinks your lab is now worse than mine, thanks buddy! :monocle:

So during the meeting, did you guys discuss how awesome the picnic was?

Glad to help! ;)

The meeting is at 2:00, so we'll find out! I didn't go to the picnic for two reasons, one being that I refuse to attend company events that require you pay for yourself, and two being that I used it as a half day so I could stand in line at the DMV for the whole afternoon instead.

quote:

Miner's hats?

That would have been hilarious. I'd have absolutely broken the no-photography rule and taken pictures of a lab full of miners in lab-coats. Really though, it wouldn't have been a good photograph. It'd be basically me wandering the lab taking pictures, and maybe the janitor with his headlamp mopping the floor. There aren't many people in the lab these days. At least I got a real drug through before the company collapsed. :) I was worried that my entire "legacy" would be lovely rip-offs of drugs we already made or patent-attacks on other companies' drugs.

EDIT: Oh for gently caress's sake... I just got an e-mail from my manager demanding to know how my project ended up $300,000 over budget. :suicide: (See previous post by me.)

Sundae fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jul 28, 2011

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I love you, you spiteful son of a bitch. :) Come start a company with me.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Appachai posted:

Hey there's an xray crystallography job at pfizer here in town...

Is a pfizer job better than just staying a postdoc? I'm pretty sure someone was telling me they sold off their nmr instruments in anticipation of closing the place

Which town are you talking about? Groton? Sandwich UK? The answer matters an awful lot. (Wait, no it doesn't. The answer is AHAHAHAHAHA stay away.)

If you're in Sandwich, that's either a dead job posting or a moron who hasn't heard that they laid off 90% of the site and are keeping just a core staff until they can find a buyer. Edit: Calling the HR rep posting the job a moron, not you. I mean in terms of the many deaf/blind heads of the PFE Hydra.

If it's Groton, the site will last, but it's uncertain in what form. I'm suspecting project-management for overseas CRO/CDO work. La Jolla is anyone's guess. If you're at any other site, let me know and I can (maybe?) give you more of a run-down on it.

General outlook is not good, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
That sounds about right; La Jolla is still working on the layoffs from 2004, from what I've been told, and nobody is sure what's actually going to happen with the site itself. Any PFE site you work at will be the same way. You will be constantly fearing for your job no matter which site you work out. The only difference is whether you worry every two weeks or every six months.

Any job is better than starvation of course, but if you can find something elsewhere, take it. The golden era of PFE is long gone.