Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

JibbaJabberwocky posted:

Okay that makes sense, thanks.

Anyone have ideas about jobs that are lab adjacent but not specifically laboratory jobs someone who can't find a lab job should look into?

The problem is that lab-adjacent jobs will usually want lab experience. Examples are lab manager positions, schedulers, quality oversight roles, etc. If you have technical experience, you may be able to get an in-house technician / calibration role for instrumentation stuff. That's a bit too far away from adjacent I think, but it's possible. Most adjacent roles will want someone who already has experience with the main role, though, so not too good of odds there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Superhydrophobicbosssuggestsbutitsatrocious?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My last sterility failure took nine months to resolve and I'm going to be dealing with the fallout for the rest of my life. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My purified water system has no water and industrial water is pouring out of my HEPA filters. Happy loving friday, lab rats.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I called four of my operators in on a Saturday to manufacture an urgent batch, with some of them driving in from 1.5 hours away (bay area madness), and the formulators loving canceled the batch at 10:15AM once everyone was already here.

Way to ruin all their weekends, assholes. At least they get 2X OT Pay for the full day for it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Rozzbot posted:

Are there any thread recommended reads for people who stumble into a position where they suddenly find themselves responsible for setting up a lab?
I've got 100m² and dreams of storage space.

I initially read this as 100 square feet and was going to ask who the hell you pissed off. :doh:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Lyon posted:

Which LIMS?

What are your responsibilities going to be? Will it primarily be gathering requirements from the business, documenting, and passing the work on to the developers or will you be making changes to the LIMS directly and serving as a system administrator?

I get a real kick out of you selling LIMS products to this thread for like ten straight years. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Today, I had the amazing privilege of meeting with a county fire marshal at work to discuss the matter of our entire facility design not meeting fire code and wondering how we ever got approval for it in the first place. :suicide:

Long story short: The entire facility is based off of one main corridor that goes in a circle but has ingress and egress controls at opposite ends (dividing it into a controlled-access lab area and an uncontrolled office area), with everything based off of that central corridor. I threw together a rough schematic of our office area / airlock for the purposes of this post...

The airlock in the top left comes out of the controlled lab area. Elevators, of course, are not emergency egress routes. That staircase around the corner is the actual lab emergency egress. Ends up that the people who built our facility forgot that the fire code doesn't just say "thou shalt have 44 inches of clearance," but that it also says "emergency routes may not have anything whatsoever, at all, in their path. Nothing of any sort whatsoever may be stored or placed in an emergency egress corridor."

Just below that airlock is our newly-determined emergency egress corridor-kitchen. It isn't wide enough to classify as a room, is in an emergency exit route, and also is classified as a kitchen. It has tables, chairs, a fridge, cabinets, water cooler, plants, sinks, shelves, etc. The dotted-line area where all our materials and mail are dropped off. The bottom area is more shelves, cabinets, printers and a photocopier. That's all hallway technically, and it's all emergency route. That conference room placement? Creates more "hallway" for the cubicle-dwellers south of it. The conference room door open outward and can block their shortest emergency exit. (There are actually more offices on the southwest wall too, but I got lazy and didn't draw them.)

That large room in the northern middle? It's a lab area that needs to dispose of laboratory waste and hazardous waste daily. Where's the freight/warehouse elevator (can't take waste in a standard personnel elevator)? It's the one over by that airlock in the northwest corner. You know... the one on the other side of the kitchen. The kitchen that hazardous and laboratory waste aren't allowed to pass through because people eat there.

I have to work with our site architects to figure out who designed the floor originally and sacrifice them to the gods figure out a redesign for the entire office so that we remove all the copiers, kitchen, tables, mail boxes, package dropoffs, cabinets, etc etc from the corridor. Where will we put them? Nowhere. There's nowhere left. We have no spare rooms. The architects didn't put any closets or storage rooms into our floor. :lol:

In a week or two once we figure out the plan (we get 60 days to fix it before they come back to re-inspect), I get to tell the people on my floor that I'm (probably, barring some sort of exception agreement) ripping out their goddamned break room and copier. :suicide:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Snack Bitch posted:

Well, it seems that the break room and copier are a glitch in the hallway and you are fixing the glitch. No problem

But there's a coffee maker in that glitch! :negative:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
How on earth does a QA site lead not know the difference between a real audit and an annual DEA audit/reconciliation? :wtc:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

She thinks QA should be in involved in every little thing we do here, she decided one day to write a SOP for DEA visits, EHS said was a dumb idea, seems they were proven right. A previous episode that came up a few years ago is she wanted to restrict us to one brand of pen in blue or black. This was shouted down by purchasing and the admins who realized they wanted to keep her away from there poo poo as much as possible.

If you can get me a job as your site lead, I'll make it my first priority to fire her silly rear end. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

sounds perfect for Sundae!

:negative:

I'm actually not looking right now, at least not actively. It feels like cheating to job hunt while on 100%-paid paternity leave, and I still do like my job. :3:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
It'd almost be worth it to see the look on our QA dude's face if I tried to use these in a lab...

Original Link: https://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/tls/d/alameda-calibration-weights-set-7-piece/7144783928.html

The Listing posted:

Selling a calibration weight set made of stainless steel with a hard case. The weights are 10 lb x 2 pieces, 5 lb x 1 piece, 2 lb x 2 pieces, 1 lb x 1 piece, 8oz x 1 piece. They are all in good condition. I am researching the value of them at this moment. Sell for best offer at this time.

Selling a calibration weight set made of stainless steel with a hard case. The weights are 10 lb x 2 pieces, 5 lb x 1 piece, 2 lb x 2 pieces, 1 lb x 1 piece, 8 oz x 1 piece, 30 pounds 8 ounces in total weights plus the weight of the case. They appear to be in good condition with the Case in Good Condition. The weights are cylindrical in shape, no obvious chips or obvious wear. All Sales are Final. No Refunds and No Returns. Know what you are buying and commit to the purchase.

The case dimensions are 13.5 inches wide x 9 inches wide x 7 inches tall.

Listed at $399 you are welcome to send your best offer. If my price is unreasonably high, let me know.

At this time shipping costs is unknown. 30 pounds 8 ounces in weights plus the weight of the case and packaging materials.

This may be a Rice Lake Weight Set. Rice Lake Customer Service Chat said this:

They do look like our cylinder weights but I cant tell for sure if they are ours.

Ok, you wouldnt be able to tell by looking at them. So if there isn't paper work and no serial numbers you wouldn't be able to tell the class unless you weighed them with a high precision balance or scale.

The serial numbers would probably be on top of the weights.

Yes they would be visable. With out the serial numbers I don't have a way of telling if they are our weights.

We don't have a weight set with that configuration. But a 10lb Class F Cylindrical weight is around $200 on the low end on the high end class 1 10lb weight is around $625

Buyer determines how they want the package shipped.

"I have somehow come into possession of a specialized set of calibration weights, but none of the paperwork, and have already ruined them. Here's a photograph of me ruining them. They may be Rice Lake. Here's a transcript of Rice Lake saying they don't sell them in that configuration and there aren't serial numbers where they should be. $399 please."

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Epitope posted:

I think the ruining is setting them on the driveway, but my quality level is in the poops > 1 time per day level, so I could be mistaken

e- greater than or equal to, sorry for the confrusion, you see what i mean about my quality level

Here's a larger picture.

Didn't use the handling tool, scratches, bird poo poo (?) on at least one of them, and then tossed them on some concrete for the photograph.

quote:

I can't see from the pics, but did he steal a set of calibration weights and file off the serial numbers?

The serial #'s part confuses me. I've never heard of a weight-set without serials, so if it wasn't him polishing them off, someone did.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

SmellOfPetroleum posted:

I work for a medical device company and want to run something by this group. Namely, is there any advice for getting people to reliably follow our GDP SOP? Has anyone been in a company that was bad at it but then turned it around?

I worked for a pharmaceutical company with GDP issues under consent decree. Our solution was PIPs and mass firings of people who couldn't handle it.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

RadioPassive posted:

If you don't have strong GDP culture, I don't know of a short term solution here.

Our approach, also in a company under consent decree and extreme scrutiny, was to attach a 3-5 employee document review team to each laboratory. Operators could review and sign off one another's data if required to meet deadlines or deliverables, but without special circumstance, all handwritten material gets passed through two independent reviews, requiring signatures of each, before the data is considered part of the quality record. If it doesn't meet GDP it gets sent back to the originator for corrections. No results, materials, data, or reports leave the lab without the go-ahead from the document reviewers. For some of our more error-prone processes, or intermediate steps capable of process-ending errors, we would require a review signature on checkpoint paperwork before proceeding. Can't run the instrument without a signed permission slip.

You can't error-correct until you error-detect, so effective review is critical.

Oh absolutely on the error-detect/review as well. We ended up putting in an enormous oversight aspect too, with a full department of batch record reviewers, etc. We also had a broad re-write of the batch records to try to fix poorly-designed pages, remove unnecessary documentation, make it very clear where things needed documentation, blah blah. If operators still couldn't handle documenting things correctly even after that and after human performance analysis during investigations (tl;dr: assume the system failed the human until proven otherwise), then they got kicked to the curb. We didn't just go "here's the system, you're stuck with it, shape up or ship out." That never works.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Assuming of course you're not in a dumpster fire pharma company.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

If you end up landing in the Bay Area, look into Genentech, we could use more goons.

I have to admit, this company does not suck. That's odd for me to say.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

Idk so far Boston’s public transportation seems pretty awesome

Lots of articles, every year since 2014 posted:

Runners Narrowly Win Race Against Boston Trolley
Man beats machine in 4.1-mile race along Green Line.

Yeah, I know it's not quite a fair comparison, but it's a fun story. :haw:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Pain of Mind posted:

I always heard weird things about how Genentech was structured compared to other companies (generally not in a positive light). Then again I have never worked there and I only hear stuff from people that left which might introduce some bias. I recall when I my smallish company shut down in 2007 they brought in the entire company for a mass interview.

Small startups have been entertaining for the last while as long as you land a good one, just do whatever you want to do. Very hit or miss though, it will either be great or terrible with nothing inbetween

Edit: Just saw the post was from almost a month ago, guess I have not looked at BFC for a while.

It probably depends heavily on your department and whether Roche has oversight of you or not, but I can definitely say that Genentech is the best place I've ever worked. Every job sucks compared to whatever else we'd enjoy doing with our time otherwise of course, but I would legit call this a good job.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

If I remember correctly, yesterday's all-hands department meeting had 2 15 year, and a 20 year anniversary announced. I've seen 2 or 3 30s in the last 18 months.

This part isn't something my group has (I mean, apart from the fact that we're a brand-new group and all new hires in the last 6 years). About 70% of my group is made of contractors on 3-yr terms that I'm not usually allowed to renew. (HR says "you can renew critical contractors for one term" but then when you try, they say "if they were critical, they wouldn't be a contractor.) It's a constant source of conflict between me and my upper management, because I can't run an efficient manufacturing operation when I have to replace the operators every time they finally reach full proficiency in the operations.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Spikes32 posted:

Alright I'm officially job hunting in the bay area / full remote for a LIMS admin position. I already checked out Genetech and didn't see any open positions that matched. If anyone has any other leads I'd love to hear about them. Now I get to try and find a not completely terrible recruiter.

Yeah you're not likely to get that at Genentech right now. Roche leadership sent out all kinds of e-mails during the pandemic informing us that no, full-remote would not be acceptable except in very limited cases, so expect to go back into the office when possible.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
If there are any good pharma forums, I don't know about them. I used to get some info from biofind once in a while, but they've been shuttered for like a decade now. The only other one I know is CafePharma, and it's a shithole so deep you'd think it was a 4chan side-project.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Shrieking Muppet posted:

So my current employer does a regular pipetting and volumetric flask refresher. Failed it, which is annoying but ok I can redo it tomorrow, asked what I did wrong and had this conversation.

Trainer: “Your %RSD was too high”
Me: “Really? They are better than the ones i had last year”
Trainer: “Oh we changed then last week”
Me: :rolleyes:

Trainer: “We all were on the fence about the QS on the flask and in-fact all picked different ones that were too high and too low”
Me: “How is this fair? I failed because no one could agree what work was done incorrectly?”
Trainer:”Well no one said it is fair”

This job is pretty nice but seriously what the gently caress?

I have had an auditor ask me to provide clear rationales for how Passing and Failing qualifications were decided in a training program. I want that auditor to visit your facility, and I want to be a fly on the wall during that question.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I am in a safety presentation right now, where they are telling us about the new "two-handled" doorknobs they're installing. One of them is bright red and is marked "GLOVES ONLY" while the other is normal and reads "NO GLOVES." This was their solution to the fact that they've been trying and failing to get scientists to take their goddamned gloves off before exiting the lab, so they don't get whatever they're working on all over the door handle.

I'm waiting for the Q&A session at the end so that I can ask why scientists who can't be bothered to show the minimal decency and care to take three seconds to remove their gloves (or wave their hands at the already-existing motion sensors) are going to give any shits at all about the new handle and change their habits.

Edit: They got around this by not doing a Q&A at the end. :(

Sundae fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jul 16, 2021

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Matryoshka SexDoll posted:

Currently enjoying the 1 year of lab experience required for entry level lab job hellride. How long until I resort to a staffing agency contract job?

Like 8 years ago. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
A friend of mine is moving from Alabama to San Diego because the lab head for his PhD got a new role out there and is leaving. He could either start over with someone new (assuming anyone else would pick him up in the existing program), or come with his current lab head/chair to San Diego. They are so under-funded that they couldn't hire movers for the lab. He sent me photos of lab equipment in boxes using his personal clothes as bubble-wrap, etc etc. He's in San Diego now, after literally driving a uHaul with his goods plus the lab's stuff across the country.

Academia: Not even once.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
I will continue to make dumb jokes about ramen spectroscopy is and nobody can stop me.

quote:

Found out today that the third party company that checks our eyewashes has been falsifying records and our eyewashes are not in fact operable.

:killing:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

This particular report is "the facility for some reason believed it would not be inspected and had none of the documentation". Observations 5 and 6 (before you even get to the plainly visible contamination) are describing the total absence of basic required documents. Many of the observations are like that. At a guess, this firm was running the facility to either some domestic or third country spec (or just to whatever they made up) and didn't care about US regs (or thought they had bribed someone to not be inspected).

Oh god, I love this one. These are my trainwreck-watching materials, definitely. Edit - So, I was going to do a laymen's summary of this one for the thread, but it's so horrible and glorious and it's loving fourteen pages of INSANE asshattery. I don't have the time to do it justice.

Edit #2 - lol this is the Lab Rat thread, not the Corporate thread. You guys don't need a laymen's summary anyway. :downs:

For reference, Grade B area is not the cleanest of clean, but it's CLEAN AS gently caress. I do drastically better than this in a Grade E / ISO 8 area. Exposed nails and nail-holes would not cut it for a loving storage room, let alone aseptic filling.

Get hosed, Global Pharma Ltd. Get outright hosed for this next one. They sourced at least one API from another vendor, and then didn't check the material when they got it and relied on the vendor's documentation. You cannot do that, ever. You can't even do that for non-API materials or fillers; at bare minimum you have to do identity (prove it's the right material), and for APIs you have to do far more. I mean, get hosed for almost all of this. Someone should be in prison for the summation of these audit findings, or at bare minimum barred from ever working in a regulated environment again.

This one isn't quite clear, but it probably says [para] "You turned around manufacturing on Equipment A from one product to the next based on cleaning verification you performed on Equipment B."

That's not even getting into all the "holy gently caress, our entire facility shouldn't even count as qualified" stuff in Observation 7 or the deficient QC structures in Observations 8 & 9.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 02:23 on May 23, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

In the Summer of 2019 we were standing up a new drug manufacturing line. The FDA sent 5 auditors out to spend a week inspecting it.

Zero
Written
Defects

Some companies consider regulations as a restriction, we consider them a challenge.

In fairness, we've gone and poo poo ourselves a few times since then. For example, "no hot water available for operators of [redacted] to wash their hands" at multiple sites, the joys of the last three years of cleaning investigations around [redacted third-party contractor]," etc etc. Honestly, I'd expect to see more issues in the future. Our budgets are just getting hosed right now for 2023-2025, and with no backfills planned for attrition over the next 12mo+, things may very well start to slip. :(

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

mllaneza posted:

I just hope none of that poo poo sticks to you.

Don't worry - if it does, at least I made sure we have hot water and soap in our building. :v:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Can someone smarter than me explain why a tape-measure would be designed to measure in tenths of a foot? This is the second one we've found in our inventory, after (the second time) a part came in not matching up to measurements at all. A six-inch valve is not 0.6 feet, and the tape measure is doing that instead of inches. The engineer who did the measurements missed that the tape measure he pulled out wasn't actually doing inches.

I don't understand why this is a thing. Anyone who needed decimal values would surely be using metric system, right? RIGHT? :smith:

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Hey SA Goons, how much should I tip my Medical Laboratory Director?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

pmchem posted:

move fast, break things, pretend the FDA doesn't exist

You forgot one step: "get acquired before Phase III."

That's where all the poo poo inevitably comes tumbling down. You can make anything look feasible until Phase III trials, at which point you'd better have a real product or you're about about to get hosed.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
My current employer has decided, in a recent global quality standard update, to classify electronic pipettes as computerized systems. GMP pipettes now need not only calibration, but qualification, computer systems validation and code review. (I've also been told that a flow hood with an on/off switch with a LED light to indicate whether the unit is on counts as an HMI and therefore a computerized system. I have to validate the On/Off switch and review its non-existent code.)

I'm loving every second of this, I tell ya.

Sundae: "Consumer off-the-shelf (COTS) pipettes do not have accessible source code to review. This requirement is not applicable."
QA: "Rejected. Source code review is mandatory for computerized systems."
Sundae: "This is not a computer."
QA: "Yes it is. It has a display that changes a number in response to your input. That is a HMI and therefore meets the requirements as a computer."

Sundae fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

crabrock posted:

here, chat GPT made this for you. I helpfully had it send a slack message every time you eject a tip to notify the people who are bugging you.

:tviv: :lol:

This is absolutely beautiful.