Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

seacat posted:

[Harold, if] you're going for another BS, do better than Biology. Biology majors are a dime a dozen, our lab is flooded with them and they usually don't know dick. The better choice would be grad school but it seems you're not having much luck with that.
I'm double majoring in biochem and biology with a math minor. Have you seen applicants along those lines, with a more specialized degree? Do they fare better than the general bio majors?

You've said that minors are irrelevant, do you know what the case is for grad school? I've been told they're pretty pointless unless specifically relevant* to what you're doing, and even then it's really just to show (probable) competency. I'm thinking a math minor would be helpful in that it would suggest a certain a degree of mathematical literacy.

*As in, I want to save every marmot in Siberia, so I minored in GIS And Remote Sensing!

Radd McCool fucked around with this message at 11:56 on May 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radd McCool
Dec 3, 2005

by Y Kant Ozma Post

seacat posted:

The only person who tries to limit REAL dangerous behavior in the lab like heating explosive and flammable poo poo on the bench (not in the hood) without safety glasses is me and another chemist.
Are they at least wearing safety goggles? I trust they've seen the great posters about Carol, who doesn't need them anymore.