Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chienism
Mar 14, 2006
<3
I realize that this thread is not terribly active, and that my question is quite off-topic-- but I was wondering if anyone in this thread would please allow me to interview them over email for a paper I must write about the "discourse community" about the job I want to eventually have, and to analyze its aspects.

First what I must do is interview someone who is working as a lab rat so that I may ask questions such as what kind of writing skills are used in your kid along with what skills and qualifications are required. Other questions will be a bit more personal, such as what sets this profession apart from others that are similar, and what kind of expectations and surprises you have when entering your job.

I figured that while I could always open a Craigslist call out for lab rats, getting answers from goons would potentially be a lot more interesting and a bit less creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chienism
Mar 14, 2006
<3

seacat posted:

I'd gladly answer any questions you have as long as I don't have have to identify myself or the company I work for by name - if so I can't do that as I am in private industry although I'm sure the academia folks will be more willing to do so since they generally enjoy more freedom.

What may I ask drives you to take such interest in the lives of us poor slaves of science? :)

Also I love SA but I do find funny that you think you'd get LESS creepy results from goons than the craigslist crowd... especially science goons :)

My professor said that it's completely understandable if you don't want to reveal your real name and company, and that you may make up names if you want to make it easier. Or be referred to by job title, I guess! I can contact you either via email or even an instant messenger if you prefer.

I want to eventually do research or lab work somewhere at some point in my life, and I know far less about working in this kind of industry than the other career I also want to pursue. I'm majoring in Biology and minoring in Chemistry right now, and am considering either a Masters or PhD-- it's too early for me to know 100% yet. I don't graduate for another year, but I'm preparing for it all just in case. I can't tell if being a poor slave of science is awesome yet or not-- but it's something I'm interested in! Not to mention, I've been told that doing research at academic institutes is ridiculously high stress so I'm looking at my options.

As someone who is a science goon, I feel more comfortable with "my people" than say the Craigslist crowd-- which will truly be like shooting in the dark. Hey, kind of like some research!

Scientastic posted:

I'm in academia in the UK and I don't mind helping.

I'd love to interview you too, but I can only use one person for my paper in the end. So I can definitely interview you both, but I can not say for sure who I will use for my paper. Thank you for volunteering your time!

As for who I am: I'm an undergrad working in an extremely cushy Biochemistry lab doing research on the effects of metalloproteins on reducing oxidative stress from free radicals. I know the labwork I do is extremely easy, but it's really interesting to me and the procedures are fun to do (except I've had a centrifuge accident). It's made me want to do labwork as a career, possibly. Feel free to tell me the truth on what it's really like if you think I'm making a big mistake!