Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BeefCrisps
Jan 24, 2011
There is a very extensive New York thread in the archives, which is full of great ideas:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1576556&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

But it's very out of date now, and a lot of the places recommended are closed up.

I think a lot of people would love a new thread for great places to go- Not least me, as I head over next week. Got a lot of good recommendations, but would love it if any NY goons could throw some ideas for great bars in, as a lot of the recommended bars in previous threads are now shut.

Any places worth a looksy?
Especially that have great live music/acceptably elitist jukeboxes.

And in general, more up-to-date NY discussion would be top notch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!
I'm going to NYC with the wifey in mid-May. Any updated suggestions would be helpful!

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Same here, going to NYC in the end of May. Suggestions?

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
i'm heading over mid july (20th-ish) for a few days.

i've been there once before, so i'm looking to do things i havent been able to do the last time around (namely watch a yankees game and a musical of some sort on broadway).

what is the best way to go about getting the tickets to a yankees game (probably against the athletics or mariners, as they play when we go)? i was originally planning on getting some nice seats, but seeing as how tickets can easily cost over 200$, i'm probably going to settle for some second floor seats behind the catcher, or those near the right fielder (foul zone, not outfield). they still cost around 100$ on the yankees website, is there any way to get them for cheaper? im going with a friend, so we need two tickets, if that makes a difference.

we're also going to try and get some tickets to a musical. we're looking at phantom of the opera or mamma mia or whatever, but i know its possible to get discounts on some shows. how do i go about doing this?

TIA!

edit: oh yeah and is it cheaper during the weekday than on the weekends?

nervana fucked around with this message at 07:37 on May 1, 2011

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006

nervana posted:

what is the best way to go about getting the tickets to a yankees game (probably against the athletics or mariners, as they play when we go)? i was originally planning on getting some nice seats, but seeing as how tickets can easily cost over 200$, i'm probably going to settle for some second floor seats behind the catcher, or those near the right fielder (foul zone, not outfield). they still cost around 100$ on the yankees website, is there any way to get them for cheaper? im going with a friend, so we need two tickets, if that makes a difference.

Stubhub is flooded with tickets priced at far below the face value the Yankees charge. Take a look on there for the game you want to see.

nervana posted:

we're also going to try and get some tickets to a musical. we're looking at phantom of the opera or mamma mia or whatever, but i know its possible to get discounts on some shows. how do i go about doing this?

The TKTS booth is your best friend: http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

Quisty
Apr 10, 2008

I like to pinch.
We may go to New York sometime this week, any idea of what's going to be going on or how I can find out?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Quisty posted:

We may go to New York sometime this week, any idea of what's going to be going on or how I can find out?

Buy a Time Out New York magazine once here. It has sections for music, clubs, art, dance, theater and, of course, movies. They have a website too, but you can get one for like five bucks from most newstands when you get here and pick stuff to do out of it.

Best theater right now is Book of Mormon (comedy) and Jerusalem (drama). Should buy tickets in advance for those so you don't get poo poo seats.

A FUCKIN BONG BOMB
Apr 6, 2006
Some cool bars:

Please Don't Tell is a reservation-only speakeasy type bar hidden behind a greasy hotdog joint called Crif Dogs (which also happens to have awesome food). You have to access it via a secret door hidden in a phone booth, it's a fun novelty and the drinks are great.
http://www.pdtnyc.com/

Barcade Is just what it sounds like, a bar/arcade. Great beer selection and lots of fun games. Fair warning, it is located in the hipster Mecca of Williamsburg so bring something to repel them with. I suggest a job application.
http://barcadebrooklyn.com/

McSorley's Ale House is the oldest continually run bar in NY. Definitely worth stopping in for a few beers and a burger.
http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/

Slainte Is just a normal Irish pub, but it's quiet, has good drinks/food, and is a good place to start the night with a beer or enjoy lunch and a soccer game. They have awesome wings too.
http://www.slaintenyc.com/

If you decide to swing by Slainte, may as well just round the corner onto Bleeker street where you will find tons of great bars for all (drinking)ages, many with live music. Bleeker Bar, Asylum, Von, Peculiar Pub.

You should get drunk in NYC is what I'm saying here.

P-wrinkle
Aug 31, 2004
I'm going to NYC in a couple weeks. Any suggestions of places to eat in the $10-20 range?

psychokitty
Jun 29, 2010

=9.9=
MEOW
BITCHES

Did anyone else think the OP was going to New New York? :zoid:

P-wrinkle posted:

I'm going to NYC in a couple weeks. Any suggestions of places to eat in the $10-20 range?
Shake Shack
Carnegie Deli

xcdude24
Dec 23, 2008

P-wrinkle posted:

Vanessa's Dumplings or Prosperity Dumplings. You can get something like four dumplings for $1.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

P-wrinkle posted:

IMO the time to eat cheap in New York is dinner and the time to splurge is lunch. A lot of multi star places run by big name chefs have stupidly cheap three or four course prix fixe (it's French and basically pronounced "price fix" or you can just translate it to "fixed price" when talking about them) tasting menus. These menus usually offer something like three appetizer choices, four main course choices and two desert choices and you pick one of what you'd like to try from each category, and generally reasonable substitutions are fine (eg: main choices are beef / beef / lamb and you don't eat red meat, the server will have fish or poultry options ready as well or will fetch one from the chef). They're usually filled with items the kitchen really stands behind and are meant to make a repeat customer of you.

On the uper end of things you could have a three course meal at loving Le Bernadin for 70 bucks. Places that don't have Olympian level chefs backing them often have similar deals for 20 or 30 dollars. Googling for "top prix fixe lunch nyc" or whatever will get you a variety of at least semi-reliable listicles. Yelp is also a great resource for choosing between them. All of the busier areas have several great restaurants to choose between offering these sorts of things and most big name chefs have at least one place in NYC that offers a prix fixe lunch (or a dinner of five to seven, or occasionally something absurd like 18 courses for a bit less than twice the lunch price) so you can experience your favorite Food Network chef if you want to go at it that way.

These meals usually have a wine option where for a very reasonable additional sum you can get a glass of preselected matching wine along with every course, or every other course, or whatever is appropriate per the chef or sommelier.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 7, 2011

Rankine Over Gash
Feb 18, 2010

We had our meetings in a room with a bar and Brian Clough said to me "Millsy, get the beers in and get yourself a Guinness". I told him I didn't drink. He said "Get yourself a fucking Guinness" so I did. I drank it, pulled a face and then he named me in the team. I never said no again.
Careful with polite street folk. Me and my friend were robbed of $50 on Fifth Ave, just down the road from Empire State Building and near Central Park. No matter what time of day, where you are, don't stop for people and their conversations, even if they stand in front or around you!

Other than that, NYC really is all it's cracked up to be.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The rule of thumb is to mistrust anyone who tries to interact with you while you're in transit. New Yorkers are actually really outgoing and overly social people for the most part, but they turn that off when they're walking down a sidewalk or riding along in the subway. People talk to me constantly when I'm in a bookshop or waiting in some lobby and it doesn't strike me as strange any more (and I'm not even female or particularly handsome or whatever), however I am immediately cautious when someone wants to say something to me when I'm in the subway. Of course, many of the local men will happily make flirtatious comments toward female passersby (and no matter the sort of woman it seems like there are plenty of guys here who see them as next to ideal), but that's more ritualized commentary than actual invitation toward communication most of the time.

spoonfulofwhoopass
Feb 11, 2010

P-wrinkle posted:

Amazing and dirt cheap Spanish food: Casa de Adela on Avenue C between E 5th and 6th. It's small, so keep an eye out for it, but you get half a chicken and tons of rice and beans for 5 bucks. BYOB, bring wine!

Cheap delicious Indian food: Panna II on 1st Ave between E 5th and 6th Sts. Up and to the right. It looks like a five-foot high acid trip. When you see it you'll get what I mean. Average per person is around $10 if even that. Entrees are around $5.95 each.

The Halal Cart on E 53rd and 6th Ave. If you have never had this food, you are incomplete as a person. Don't let the fact that it's street vendor food freak you out; it's famous and it's orgasmic.

Alligator Lounge in Williamsburg is also worth checking out. You get a free pizza with every drink you order. :dance:

Times Square blows. See it once if you haven't before and then avoid it.

K-town is super fun for karaoke and cheap Korean food. K-town is the section of Manhattan right by Penn Station on the east side, like 5th Ave and 32nd St. Lots of drunken singing! Have Kyo Chon chicken (make sure it's the spicy kind, it'll burn your face off, but mild is for pussies), and drink like a fish.

Magnolia Bakery on the mid/upper West Side by Lincoln Center is great for rich confections. The banana pudding is very much recommended. This is a splurge-y thing, so do it once if at all.

Manhattan is expensive, period. Don't be afraid of the outer boroughs, except for Staten Island. gently caress Staten Island.

Useful but unrelated note: When the avenue numbers go up, you're going west. When they go down you're going east. North the street numbers go up, south they go down. This is a vital fact that a lot of people, even New Yorkers, miss all the time. Don't be afraid to ask for directions; people are not assholes here.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

spoonfulofwhoopass posted:

Useful but unrelated note: When the avenue numbers go up, you're going west. When they go down you're going east. North the street numbers go up, south they go down. This is a vital fact that a lot of people, even New Yorkers, miss all the time. Don't be afraid to ask for directions; people are not assholes here.

True only for Manhattan and I guess streets in the Bronx.

In Queens, as Street numbers go up, you're headed East. As Avenue numbers go up, you're headed south. You'll also see Roads, Places, Courts, Terraces, and Drives, but these are always adjacent to a Street or Avenue of the same number running parallel. (i.e., you might see 73rd st, followed by 73rd rd, followed by 74th st.)

Meanwhile, in Brooklyn, for those portions where a numbered grid is even slightly coherent, Avenues increment upwards as you go Southeast (the grid in BK is tilted), a first numerically, and eventually, alphabetically instead. Streets increment as you head southwest. Unless you're in Williamsburg, where numbers increment in both directions, depending on how far you are off of Grand Street, or in Gravesend/Midwood/Sheepshead Bay/Bensonhurst/Coney Island, where it's both directions again, depending on how many blocks east or west of West St. you are.

And I haven't even mentioned the seperate grid in the Rockaways or the random rear end Bay # St's that run through Bensonhurst and other parts of southwest Bk, with totally incoherent numbering, often in between two streets that are part of the OTHER grid with totally seperate numbers.

Point is: Don't say 'Don't be afraid of the outer boro's' and then give inaccurate advice for navigating them.

OP: You shouldn't be afraid of the outer boros, they are awesome. But don't be afraid to ask for directions or look at a map - they make a hell of a lot less sense than Manhattan north of Houston does.

nonanone
Oct 25, 2007

If you have an iphone/i-device, "The Scoop" by the NY Times is a really good guide for good food, shopping, coffee, bars, etc. You can find it online here too: http://www.nytimes.com/packages/html/newsgraphics/projects/nyc-app/

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I just found out that I'll be able to explore NYC alone for 5-6 hours early next month. What's the best way to keep possessions safe? Is a buttoned back pocket all thats necesary, or should I spring for one of those around the neck wallets? Also, if I carried a small day pack (backpack), would I look totally out of place/touristy?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Siroc posted:

I just found out that I'll be able to explore NYC alone for 5-6 hours early next month. What's the best way to keep possessions safe? Is a buttoned back pocket all thats necesary, or should I spring for one of those around the neck wallets? Also, if I carried a small day pack (backpack), would I look totally out of place/touristy?

A small backpack won't look out of place at all.

One of those around the neck wallets will.

It's New York City, not eastern or southern europe - you're much more likely to be mugged than pickpocketed, and even then, it's not terribly likely if you're in most of the areas you'd want to go as a tourist with only 6 hours to kill.

Why are you so scared of New York?

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!
I was afraid someone would think I'm deathly scared. I'm not- I'm just asking if I should take any precautions above and beyond the common sense stuff to avoid any unwanted trouble, thats all. I don't live in an area anywhere near as densely populated as NYC city streets. I'm just asking for any local advice on the subject because its impossible to argue I should be less concerned about my wallet in NYC than in Knoxville, TN. If I just have to follow common sense and its not preferable to put my wallet in my front pocket or something, then fine.

I hope I made myself clear and didn't insult your city by thinking it was a 5th world country riddled with crime and disease.

Thanks for the confirmation about the backpack!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Siroc posted:

I'm just asking for any local advice on the subject because its impossible to argue I should be less concerned about my wallet in NYC than in Knoxville, TN.

NYC is the safest large city in America, and among the safest in the world.

With regard to the specific comparison vs. Knoxville:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=nyc+crime+rate+versus+knoxville+crime+rate

You are twice as likely to be assaulted and 7 times as likely to be raped in Knoxville, TN, than you are in New York.

It's *really really safe* here, so long as you aren't doing anything stupid.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Walk the High Line. Especially on a nice day.

Already mentioned, but McSorely's is some authentic New York Americana. Nothing has been removed from the walls since 1910 and there are a million stories about this place. It's like stepping into a timewarp. Beers come in pairs (they're small mugs) so don't be a tourist and correct the bartender that you only ordered one. Also there are only two kinds of beer: dark and light.

Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge into Brooklyn and check out the new Brooklyn Bridge Park and Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Excellent place to take photos of lower Manhattan. They sometimes show outdoor movies there.

Speaking of outdoor movies, there are places screening movies every weekend. Here's a good place to start. Arrive early with some food, drink, and a blanket to sit on. It gets really really crowded sometimes.

If you like museums, you'd do well with the Met, MoMA, Neue Galerie, PS1, Guggenheim, the Whitney, Brooklyn Museum, and the million others. Check out the Time Out New York and see what is exhibiting.

Subways run 24/7, but schedules can be upended on the weekend. Check out the MTA website for any changes.

Do you really love hamburgers? People will always mention Shake Shack, but that's not the only place for a good one. Work your way through this list.

I won't go into pizza too much, but the ones I hear a lot about are Grimaldi's, Lucali, and Di Fara. I am partial to the one near where I work: Pizza Italia. Order the buffalo chicken slice. Or the Grandma's round slice.

Get a doughnut at Doughnut Plant or Dough.

Don't be afraid to ask for directions. Like most New Yorkers I love giving directions.

Please don't wear your backpack on the front of your body. You look ridiculous.

Frank Zappa
Feb 6, 2004

Electric Aunt Jemima - Goddess of Love
I just saw this thread, though I wish I had found it sooner!

I just got a job with a company based in New England, and I've been flying to and from New York and driving from there, so I can spend the weekend in town. New York is amazing. I can't get enough of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

Anyhow, I started keeping a map of the places that I went to / want to go to in New York. This might help for those that are traveling to New York. As you can see, I focused mainly on Manhattan. The colors and shapes of the pin are how I kept track of if I went there or not, or how much I wanted to see the place or not.:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msid=202028468558476830451.00049f58165053eadf695&msa=0

Other tips:

-I thought the subway was awesome and extremely convenient.

-I stayed at the Hilton Newark Penn Station. Penn station and Newark aren't exactly the greatest places, but I was able to hop on the PATH train to downtown quickly for a couple of bucks either way, and the hotel was $95.00ish a night, including breakfast.

Hope that helps!

Hip Flask
Dec 14, 2010

Zip Mask
Any suggestions for things to do solo?

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006
Honestly, strolling neighborhoods, parks, etc. are awesome to do when you're on your own. Pick a neighborhood and just walk the streets. Take in the sights, sounds, and cultures on a nice day.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

Going to spend 4 days in New York in a few weeks, most likely solo. Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread, looks like I'll have a lot of things to do! More won't hurt though, so if anyone has any suggestions for good cheap places to eat (like 10-20 dollars) or bars/pubs, I'd be thankful. My hostel is in the very upper Upper West Side so places around there would be the most convenient, though I guess I might as well tour around Manhattan as much as I can :)

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Cukel posted:

Going to spend 4 days in New York in a few weeks, most likely solo. Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread, looks like I'll have a lot of things to do! More won't hurt though, so if anyone has any suggestions for good cheap places to eat (like 10-20 dollars) or bars/pubs, I'd be thankful. My hostel is in the very upper Upper West Side so places around there would be the most convenient, though I guess I might as well tour around Manhattan as much as I can :)

A personal favorite that I don't recall being recommended in any of these threads is Croxley's Ale. In my opinion the best wings in Manhattan, and frequently very cheap -- 10c wing nights on M/T and sometimes W, and 20c wings on weekend afternoons. They also have a great, thoughtfully constructed beer menu with a special focus on Belgian beers. Can get a little crowded especially if a major sporting event coincides with cheap wing time, but the bar is friendly and it's a pretty good place for flying solo.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
I don't have archives so can I bump for things to do around New Year's Eve? Is it worth the headache to go to Times Square for the ball drop? It's sort of a bucket list thing for my boyfriend and I. We're staying with my cousin in Manhattan and cooking meals at her place, bringing our own booze/pre-gaming, and taking Megabus so we're doing this cheap. The boyfriend will have about $200-300 and I will have about $400-500. Not much, but we'll probably end up staying most nights in since we're not big bar/club people (will probably be too tired to walk anywhere at night anyway).

Does Central Park get a special treatment around Christmas or if someone could recommend a park for a great light show? Will definitely be visiting the Christmas tree in Rockefeller Plaza.

I'm thinking a live indie show for one night as we both love underground music, and we're art museum and general museum junkies. MOMA is on the list. Also do the nerdy/touristy things like a visit to the giant toy stores and mega stores.

I'll be going with more to spend so I'm looking for consignment stores to shop for used designer clothing. Oh and sweet, sweet record stores. It's looking like Dec 28/29-Jan 3/4 for our time span there.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

cheese eats mouse posted:

I don't have archives so can I bump for things to do around New Year's Eve? Is it worth the headache to go to Times Square for the ball drop? It's sort of a bucket list thing for my boyfriend and I.

Huge pain. Tightly packed, massive annoying security apparatus, freezing cold most years or rainy. But hey, you've got to do it once.

quote:

I'll be going with more to spend so I'm looking for consignment stores to shop for used designer clothing. Oh and sweet, sweet record stores. It's looking like Dec 28/29-Jan 3/4 for our time span there.

Then DEFINITELY check out the Macy's on 34th street. It's like Christmas Mecca.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

Sheep-Goats posted:

prix fixe (it's French and basically pronounced "price fix"

man, it really is quite amazing how often you manage to be wrong on top of misogynistic/racist :(

(It's "pree fix" if you must mangle the French)

hitension fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 21, 2011

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

bam thwok posted:

Huge pain. Tightly packed, massive annoying security apparatus, freezing cold most years or rainy. But hey, you've got to do it once.

Then DEFINITELY check out the Macy's on 34th street. It's like Christmas Mecca.

Large crowds don't bother me too much. Hey if it is packed that tight then maybe the crowd will create a warm bubble. If it is raining then screw that.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
Some fun stuff we did last time we were there:

Rooftop Films - cheap, fun movies on a rooftop in front of the NYC skyline. (March 31 - October 2)
http://rooftopfilms.com/

Awesome restaurants - there are so many that it's hard to choose, but we really enjoyed Mario Batali's mid-level offering, Lupa. The Pollo alla diavola is amazing, and the hand-carved prosciutto is to die for.
http://www.luparestaurant.com/

Went to a cool bar, little underground speakeasy that doesn't have drink menus, called Little Branch. You can ask for a classic cocktail, but I recommend telling the bartender what kind of liquor you like and letting her go nuts. Classy drinks, including whiskey sours made with egg whites, and they chip the ice off a huge block. Pricey, though ($10+ per drink). Sat next to Phillip Seymour Hoffman. He was wearing a Target t-shirt.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/little-branch-new-york

Central Park
It's Central Park, it rules. Go there.

American Museum ofNatural History
Free after 5pm, but that doesn't give you nearly enough time. Make a donation and don't be a cheapskate.
http://www.amnh.org/

Chinatown
Get dim sum at Big Wing Wong, it's fuckin delicious. They roll around carts covered with trays, you point to what you want, and they total it up at the end. Some of the places are cash only, though, so have some with you. Then wander the weird streets of Chinatown and buy some weird merchandise.
http://www.yelp.com/biz/big-wing-wong-new-york

Brooklyn Bridge
Take the subway across to Brooklyn and walk back over the bridge. It's an amazing view and we met a lot of really nice people when they asked us to take their picture. They were a family from Brooklyn who walks the bridge every year as a tradition, they were awesome! They gave us lots of good suggestions of things to do, too.

Wander
Just walk around, it's a really interesting place. Take the subway when you can, it's the drat NY subway after all.

Going back next week, unfortunately we only have an afternoon before we have to leave again. But that's enough time to get a bagel with lox and chill in Central Park for a while!

Ishamael fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Sep 29, 2011

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Trying to stay in NYC Manhattan on Friday night.

If we want something that is fairly good "luxury for the dollar" how is the Waldorf Astoria? With my Hilton members card I can get $280 for the single night stay there. My wife likes the idea of the decorations.

Briantist
Dec 5, 2003

The Professor does not approve of your post.
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone been to Roosevelt Island? I realize it's mostly a residential place, but it looked like it might be interesting to visit it. I'm just not sure if it's worth the trouble if all we can do is walk around a little bit and say "oh look that's old asylum."

I'm not planning a trip or anything, I live on LI so it's not like I'll be wasting a day of a vacation. I go into the city fairly often for side work or events or just to hang out.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
The old asylum is luxury condos now and the smallpox hospital ruins are fenced off from pretty far out. The tram might be worth riding once if you've never done it before, but once you get there you might as well just ride back.

quote:

If we want something that is fairly good "luxury for the dollar" how is the Waldorf Astoria? With my Hilton members card I can get $280 for the single night stay there. My wife likes the idea of the decorations.

This is probably too late, but: on the one hand, it's the Waldorf, which is kind of fun just to be in and say you've stayed at; on the other hand, a lot of the rooms really show their age, and not in a good B&B/antique way. A lot of people I know who have stayed there recently have been pretty disappointed.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Hey guys,

I'll be in NYC for an interview. My plane is arriving ~6pm on Sunday evening and I would like to have dinner in the city before driving to my final destination.

1. I'm looking for a vegetarian restaurant. Is Quantum Leap any good? Their menu looks fine to me.

2. I'll be driving with a rental car. Can I park in the city? Can you recommend a veg restaurant that has parking space?

Thanks guys.

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all

Briantist posted:

Anyone been to Roosevelt Island? I realize it's mostly a residential place, but it looked like it might be interesting to visit it. I'm just not sure if it's worth the trouble if all we can do is walk around a little bit and say "oh look that's old asylum."

It is pretty much limited to walking around a little bit and saying "oh look that's an old smallpox hospital", but it's a pretty cool building if you like urban decay, and the island has some nice views of the U.N. and Brooklyn. I wouldn't call it a must-see, but I'd go again.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
This thread is great! I'm going to New York tomorrow with my dad and we're going to stay for six days. Thanks to this thread, we now know where to eat and drink! :D

Ted Ed Fred
May 4, 2004

fuck this band
Thanks to the thread contributors so far.

I'm planning on a visit to New York in November for a week. I'd like to spend around $70-$100 per night on accommodation, budget hotel type thing would be better rather than Hostel, as I've done a lot of that in the past and would prefer to avoid sharing with 18-21 year olds if I can. Anyone have some suggestions?

Things I'd like to to include - eat lots of great food, drink lots of great artisan beers, see central park, empire state, high line, and museum of natural history. Anyone have some November specific activities I should do?7

I'd also like to see a baseball game, but I have no idea of the rules etc, would that impact on my enjoyment as I'd be by myself I'd have no-one to explain what's going on (I'm a brit).

Anything I've missed off or shouldn't do? Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Wrong time of year for Baseball. The season runs from April to September, with the post-season (playoffs/championship) in October and having just ended. If you want, you could attend a Hockey game. Basketball would be a possibility, but there's a labor dispute so the season is currently on hold. You could also go to an (American) Football game if you'll be in town on a Sunday. Because we have two local teams, one of them is almost always playing at home - tickets can be tough to come by since for the most part the sell out as season tickets, though StubHub usually has *something* available - and for less desirable match ups, they can be quite cheap at the last minute. Getting out to the Meadowlands is a pain though.

For craft beer, I'm fond of Barcade in Brooklyn and Rattle N Hum in Midtown, though there are tons of good places to find good stuff.

As for accommodation: Thats a tough price range, especially on this short notice: You might be able to get lucky if you look at accommodations in Queens (check out the various hotels in Long Island City or Astoria along the 7 line) or Hudson County in NJ (There are a few places right on the opposite side of the Lincoln Tunnel that are a short walk to a bus that will take you into Manhattan in just a few minutes.) I'd recommend against the latter option though, personally - it gets to be kind of a pain in the rear end, and I've stayed in a few of said hotels and they aren't great.

If you can swing an extra ~30 bucks/night above your top end, you open up a ton more options.

For food: What are you after? You can get *anything* here, so making recommendations without a specific request is hard.

November specific stuff: Depending on the specific week, you might be in town for the NYC Marathon, you might be in town for Thanksgiving and the kickoff of the Christmas season with it's attendant pomp and circumstance around town (At which point, walking down 5th Ave. and checking out the Christmas Windows in the department stores is a nifty tourist thing to do)... There's always something somewhere.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 30, 2011

• Locked thread