Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Looking to get from 116th and Amsterdam (Columbia University) to JFK on Monday morning. So far my best bet is the $45 flat rate Taxi. My flight departs at 9:25 am. What's my best bet and how long should I expect for it to take me to get to JFK?
Could I prepay for my taxi ride with a credit card before they pick me up?

Busy Bee fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuds MacKenzie
Jul 29, 2006
Mustachio Faced Man
Me and my girlfriend are looking to travel for a decently long vacation in NYC. We would like to visit for a little under 1 month. Any recommendations on super cheap hotels? We would prefer to spend roughly 60-85 dollars a night. I am not opposed to a hostel if we can get a private room. Room size is irrelevant as long as its private and me and my girlfriend can room together. Location is also irrelevant as long as it's in NYC and within walking distance to a subway station. We don't care whatever borough(is this the right word? Brooklyn, Queens, Manhattan etc.) it is, but we definitely do not want to stay in New Jersey or anywhere outside of NYC.

I've been scouring the internet but I have yet to find anything in a decent price range. Unfortunately since our vacation isn't until May, we can't really find any concrete rates and the rates we do find are a little ridiculous. Kayak/other hotel search websites will say the rates for a hotel are 80 dollars a night, and then when I look on the website it will say 200 dollars a night. It's super annoying.

I'll keep looking hard, but any help would be appreciated.

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

Looking to get from 116th and Amsterdam (Columbia University) to JFK on Monday morning. So far my best bet is the $45 flat rate Taxi. My flight departs at 9:25 am. What's my best bet and how long should I expect for it to take me to get to JFK?

Google says it's about 35 minutes to get to JFK; I went a few weeks ago from a similar location and it was a bit shorter. Keep in mind that I traveled on a Sunday night. Based on your flight time, it looks like you would be traveling in the heart of rush hour; I'd budget at least an hour.

With a car service, you may be able to prepay with a credit card. If you just hail a cab, you'd be able to pay for the ride with a CC in the cab anyway. Additionally, the $45 flat-rate does NOT include tolls and tip for the driver. My ride ended up costing around $61 after paying the toll for the triboro and tipping the driver.

Hope this helps some.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Busy Bee posted:

In addition to the fact that you will be traveling in rush hour, keep in mind that hailing a cab can take a while at busy times (god help you if it's both rush hour and bad weather), so budget in a little time for that as well. You won't be able to pre pay but all city cabs have card readers now (the rare driver may bitch and moan or even try to claim the reader is broken but if you have to pay by card, pay no attention)

Car service is a little more expensive in my experience, especially to JFK because of the flat cab rate, but has the advantage of a pickup at a set time. You can decide how much that is worth to you.

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006
Considering the time of day, it might not take a lot longer to take the AirTrain from Jamaica. You would have to take the subway to Penn (approx. 20-25 mins from where you are), LIRR to Jamaica (15 mins), AirTrain to JFK (10-15 mins). Considering waiting times and not timing everything perfectly, you're looking at give or take an hour and change to get to JFK. The total cost would be around $12 bucks per person - $2.25 for the subway, ~$5 or so for the LIRR ticket, and then I believe it's $5 for the AirTrain, as opposed to the $60+ for the cab.

Taking into account rush hour traffic and potentially crappy February weather, it might be worth it.

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
A group of friends and I are gonna spend spring break in NYC this year, one week towards the end of March. Staying with a friend in Queens. Most of them have never been to NYC before, and I've only been once like 7 years ago. Aside from the obvious tourist stuff - MoMA, natural history, central park, times square, etc. - do you guys have suggestions for a bunch of students on really tight budgets? Stuff to do on weeknights? Sketchy dives with live music?

The caveat here is that only 2 people (out of about 8) are 21.

Philo fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Feb 27, 2012

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
REALLY general here, but my and my girlfriend are going to be going to NYC for 4 nights in Early june from Australia. She's never been to NYC before, or in fact America, or anywhere that isn't Australia or Asia. I lived in the USA for 4 years near DC when I was a kid. That said I'm obviously still pumped about going also BUT

1. Where to stay? Everyone tells me 500 different things. I was thinking something like the Hotel Beacon in the Lower East side, or near Times Square? We want to do a heap of touristy poo poo, and shopping.

2. WHAT touristy poo poo is the best? We'll be flying from LA to NYC on the 2nd of June hoping to arrive between 4pm-6pm so we can go out for dinner and roam the streets. Then the 3/4/5 we definitely have free. Then the 6th we'll be flying to SFO at some point. I wanna cram as much touristy poo poo as possible in. She'll want to cram as much shopping as possible in.

3. Best shopping? She'll of course want to at least look at the gaudy shops (can you literally eat breakfast at tiffanys this is a serious question) but also just big shopping centres or malls will suffice where she can buy labels and poo poo that are stupid expensive here.

4. Food - I like the idea of going to a 'cheap' Michelin place to eat like someone linked earlier in the thread. But I also want to show her the glories of an American Hamburger and Pizza. Pretzels also. I'd love to to one of the areas you see which is like delis and bagels and poo poo but I don't know if I'm just trying to be a hipster moron on this part.

5. Dear god tipping one person said 10% one person said 15% now someone else in the thread said keep it simple do one half of one third (wtf mate) I just don't want people to be offended at me

6. Something romantic to do that I can surprise my woman for at night? Nothing hyper expensive but like some cool place. Anything unique like that that any locals have heard of would be awesome.

Thanks all :)

EDIT- OH and also for a sopranos fan is the sopranos tour worth it at all?

teacup fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 19, 2012

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
Some say 15% is standard, some say 20% is standard. You can't really go wrong with tipping on the high end. I worked as a server in the US and I usually got 20% tips (to the point where if I got a 15% tip, I'd wonder what I'd do wrong) but I was a really kickass server too. If you get bad service obviously it's okay to tip less like 10-15%, but I would never not tip as servers are paid less than minimum wage and must use your tip to make their wages.

On the plus side, the server is AT YOUR WHIM and if you do get bad food or something, you can usually complain and get a replacement for free (doesn't work so well at inexpensive non-chain restaurants). American service culture is pretty weird.

hitension fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 19, 2012

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

hitension posted:

Some say 15% is standard, some say 20% is standard. You can't really go wrong with tipping on the high end. I worked as a server in the US and I usually got 20% tips (to the point where if I got a 15% tip, I'd wonder what I'd do wrong) but I was a really kickass server too. If you get bad service obviously it's okay to tip less like 10-15%, but I would never not tip as servers are paid less than minimum wage and must use your tip to make their wages.

On the plus side, the server is AT YOUR WHIM and if you do get bad food or something, you can usually complain and get a replacement for free (doesn't work so well at inexpensive non-chain restaurants). American service culture is pretty weird.

Oh yeah I'd never not tip - I just don't want to be a fool giving away too much cash but also not to be a stingy idiot either. Thanks for the advice :)

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

teacup posted:

2. WHAT touristy poo poo is the best? We'll be flying from LA to NYC on the 2nd of June hoping to arrive between 4pm-6pm so we can go out for dinner and roam the streets. Then the 3/4/5 we definitely have free. Then the 6th we'll be flying to SFO at some point. I wanna cram as much touristy poo poo as possible in. She'll want to cram as much shopping as possible in.

3. Best shopping? She'll of course want to at least look at the gaudy shops (can you literally eat breakfast at tiffanys this is a serious question) but also just big shopping centres or malls will suffice where she can buy labels and poo poo that are stupid expensive here.

4. Food - I like the idea of going to a 'cheap' Michelin place to eat like someone linked earlier in the thread. But I also want to show her the glories of an American Hamburger and Pizza. Pretzels also. I'd love to to one of the areas you see which is like delis and bagels and poo poo but I don't know if I'm just trying to be a hipster moron on this part.

Touristy stuff:

The Empire State Building is a fantastic view, but be ready to wait in a long rear end line. Some say the observation deck of 30 Rockefeller Center is just as good, but with a slightly shorter wait. I have lunch during the week in the food plaza there and don't really see the insane crowds waiting to go up that I do at the ESB.

Avoid the Statue of Liberty, as the trip over and back will take up half of a day. There's a free Staten Island ferry that will take you past it, which is much nicer and you will get some cool photos. Unless you are really really interested in the history of the Statue (which is quite interesting, don't get me wrong!), don't bother going to the island.

I used to work downtown and I always saw tons of tourists at the World Trade Center site, so there's always that...

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is stunning, as is the Museum of Natural History.

The High Line is a nice place to stroll and people watch...you might even see some exhibitionists having sex in the window of The Standard Hotel. There's also some good shopping and restaurants in this neighborhood (the Meatpacking District).

The walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is great if it's not too, too hot. When on the other side, you'll get some amazing photos of Lower Manhattan.

I've never done the Sopranos tour, but most of it was filmed in Jersey and Long Island City, so that might be a long tour. However, we did the Gangs of New York walking tour a few years ago and loved it.

Central Park is gorgeous. Take a few hours and just wander. You'll be amazed what you stumble upon.

Shopping:

If you want to hit the high end stuff, just walk 5th Avenue in the 50s. You'll hit Henri Bendel, Tiffany's, Cartier, Harry Winston, and all the big name designers. You'll also be close to the 5th Ave Apple store, which looks beautiful from the outside. (Inside is a madhouse, though.)

There are a lot of trendy boutiques down in Soho, just take the N or R train down to Prince Street and walk around.

Food:

Shake Shake or Burger Joint (hidden in the Le Parker Meridien Hotel) for, well, burgers. You'll have a long wait for both, however.

Katz's is drat good deli, but pricey and often crowded.

Artichoke for pizza and Crif Dog for hot dogs.

I'm sure others will have better suggestions, but this is all just off the top of my head. Hope you guys have fun! :)

Bumblebee fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 25, 2012

Philo
Jul 18, 2007
This is no game. This is no fun. Your life is flame. Your time is come.
quote =/= edit

gently caress

Febtober
Oct 29, 2003

teacup posted:

5. Dear god tipping one person said 10% one person said 15% now someone else in the thread said keep it simple do one half of one third (wtf mate) I just don't want people to be offended at me

No one will (rightly) be upset with a 15-20% tip. Tax here in NYC is 8.75%, so if you want to keep it simple, just double the tax and that'll be fine. You can round it up to the next dollar to get you closer to the 20% mark (or just to make the math easier).

Keep in mind you also tip your cab drivers here as well. If you do any guided group tours, you also tip the tour leader at the end as well.

Febtober fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Mar 1, 2012

Revolver Bunker
May 12, 2004

「この一撃にかけるっ!」
I grew up in Queens NY and moved across the US to Washington State when I was a kid. I'm finally going back to visit NY for a few days and I know a lot has changed.

Question is how big has the Flushing Chinatown gotten and is there decent parking? When I left it was a couple of blocks and showed promise of getting larger (circa 1992).

I plan on renting a car though for transporting relatives and the wife around. Should I even bother trying to drive to Manhattan or should I just park somewhere in Queens and take the subway? (planning on visiting old chinatown).

What's a good pizza place in Queens?

There was a place I use to go to as a kid in Manhattan that had an indoor carousel as well as some drat fine cheesecake but for the life of me I can't remember the location or name. Any clue from current NY goons on what it may be?

Thanks. Not having been in NY for 20 years makes it feel foreign to me. :(

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."
I am going to be in NYC over the 4th of July holiday. This is my first time to the city and first time flying. I'm a little nervous about both. This thread has been very helpful. I have 2 specific questions:

1. Where is the best place to be for the firework display over the Statue of Liberty?

2. What advice can locals give to someone with social anxiety and a fear of crowds heading to NYC?

Part of this trip is exposure therapy, and I am curious about social norms that I should be aware of, if any. I grew up in a town of 3,000 people and large cities are very overwhelming to me. But I am very excited and want this to be a great experience.

Thanks to all, in advance, for any advice or suggestions.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

Looking at flights to NYC from Toronto. Does it make a difference what airport I fly into? A quick google seems to suggest JFK, La Guardia and Newark aren't that far from Manhattan between the three.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Ommin posted:

1. Where is the best place to be for the firework display over the Statue of Liberty?

2. What advice can locals give to someone with social anxiety and a fear of crowds heading to NYC?

1. It's always been my opinion that the best place to see it is on TV. The fireworks usually aren't over the Statue; the barges are anchored in the Hudson between 23rd and 59th street. Most of the piers will be hosting private events, but the West Side Highway is closed down and allows pedestrians.

2. This is a tough one. Everyone will look irritable, move quickly and ignore you unless you are in their way (and you will perpetually be in someone's way). Just chill out and realize that this doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. Everyone in New York is an a-hole and idiot, including you, when moving from place to place, but awesome and super nice once they get there. New York city will be crowded and touristy as all gently caress - a full-on throng of people on every sidewalk and every corner. That's the experience. Embrace it.

two_beer_bishes
Jun 27, 2004

Fists Up posted:

Looking at flights to NYC from Toronto. Does it make a difference what airport I fly into? A quick google seems to suggest JFK, La Guardia and Newark aren't that far from Manhattan between the three.

I hate JFK with a passion mostly because of how dirty it always is and the taxi delays are ridiculous (I've sat on the ground taxiing around waiting for a gate for time period longer than my actual flight) and one-way taxiways slow everything down. I prefer LGA just on the cleanliness and the recent upgrades to Delta's terminals are pretty nice. Never flown into EWR but I haven't heard many good things about it.

JFK has a connection to the subway system via the Airtrain and LGA requires a bus ride to get to a train but both airports are served by the NYC Airporter shuttle service which for ~$15/person will take you to Manhattan. Cabs are a flat rate $45($). If you're renting a car it will probably suck regardless of which airport.

HolaMundo
Apr 22, 2004
uragay

sponge would own me in soccer :(
When I went to NYC in December 2010 (first time visiting) I went to JFK.
I was staying at an appartment in upper west in Manhattan and all I did was took the air train from JFK to Jamaica station and got a subway from there.

It's really easy to move around using the subway, just get a map as soon as you land in the airport.

threat level tesco
Jul 2, 2007
I'm booking a trip to New York through Expedia and they offer a shuttle service from JFK to the hotel and vice versa for around $20 (including tolls and gratuity) each way. I'm not too bothered about getting a shuttle to the hotel but my flight back to the UK is at 7pm and I'm not sure how easy the subway would be to navigate at that time on a Saturday with a suitcase. Would it be worth booking the shuttle for the trip from the hotel to the airport?

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Banannah posted:

I'm booking a trip to New York through Expedia and they offer a shuttle service from JFK to the hotel and vice versa for around $20 (including tolls and gratuity) each way. I'm not too bothered about getting a shuttle to the hotel but my flight back to the UK is at 7pm and I'm not sure how easy the subway would be to navigate at that time on a Saturday with a suitcase. Would it be worth booking the shuttle for the trip from the hotel to the airport?

The subway will be fairly quiet at mid afternoon on a Saturday, but depending on how much luggage you have and whether you have to make any transfers it can be a little bit of a hassle any time of day. So it's always a question of cost vs convenience. Note that the airport shuttles can vary some in quality too depending on how tightly they pack people in.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Banannah posted:

IMO if you have anything other than just a carry-on bag you should shell out for a cab both ways. Cab will be 45 bucks or so.

The subway is going to be 5 + 2.50 for the two legs each way and involve multiple transfers and plenty of stair climbing. Paying 20 so you can wait around for a shuttle sounds dumb.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 5, 2012

Tigertron
Jan 19, 2007

Tiger, tiger, burning bright
Does anyone have experience with paid iOS apps. I have picked up most of the free ones but I would like to know if there are any must have apps for tourist travel?

Also, I have been reading up on subway fare and for a 5 day trip, the 7-day unlimited is a no brainer am I correct?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tigertron posted:

Does anyone have experience with paid iOS apps. I have picked up most of the free ones but I would like to know if there are any must have apps for tourist travel?

Also, I have been reading up on subway fare and for a 5 day trip, the 7-day unlimited is a no brainer am I correct?

I'd get one, yeah. The Metrocard makes a decent souvenir too.

For tourist stuff I don't know but I use NYC Mate so I can look at the subway / bus maps when I want to. Other people use Hopstop I guess.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Tigertron posted:

7 day unlimited is a great deal so long as you are disciplined and use the subway/buses to get around. Per ride it often winds up being a better deal for most tourists than unlimited monthly or prepaid cards are for residents.

I've never used any paid NYC tourists apps but the not for tourists guide is a pretty solid book and I would expect the app to be decent. The standard map app plus a good subway and bus route map should get you a long way if you otherwise plan out what you want to see.

SimonNotGarfunkel
Jan 28, 2011
I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm on a lovely Internet connection so cant look through the whole thread.

I'd like to go see a
Broadway show preferably death of a salesman but cheap tickets are hard to come by online.

Am I best queuing up at one of the ticket offices on the day?is there a best time to go?

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm on a lovely Internet connection so cant look through the whole thread.

I'd like to go see a
Broadway show preferably death of a salesman but cheap tickets are hard to come by online.

Am I best queuing up at one of the ticket offices on the day?is there a best time to go?

TKTS is the best option for discount theater tickets. Just go early.

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

Hi,

I'm going to New York in May with my family and just wanted some pointers.

1) I'm a big fan of comic books and a bigger fan of movies, are there any cool activities or locations to visit based around these interests?

2) My mum is really hyped to go to Little Italy, any recommendations from that area?

3) What's Coney Island like? Anything to look out for if we head that way?

4) We're planning on taking a helicopter ride, anyone have any experience with these?

So far we've decided to play it pretty fast and loose with only a couple of things that we feel we absolutely have to do. We're going to the Empire State Building and The American Museum of Natural History but other than that we just plan to go wherever the day takes us. Is this a good way to approach things?

Cheers for the information already provided, I'm going to make a list of some of the places mentioned. New York, I can't wait to be in you.

Elvor
Jul 8, 2005
Lurking since '94

Mr_Zombie posted:

I'm a big fan of comic books and a bigger fan of movies, are there any cool activities or locations to visit based around these interests?
So far we've decided to play it pretty fast and loose with only a couple of things that we feel we absolutely have to do. We're going to the Empire State Building and The American Museum of Natural History but other than that we just plan to go wherever the day takes us. Is this a good way to approach things?

For movie tours this might be along the lines of what you're looking for.

Going with whatever the day takes you isn't necessarily a bad idea, as long as you don't mind aimless roaming (I assume you don't since it's an option.) Depending on exactly what type of thing you're looking to see, you could probably just pick a neighborhood and walk around. All of the neighborhoods discussed in the tour linked above wouldn't be bad places to hit, along with the Battery (southern tip of manhattan) and the upper west side. If you have more time you can venture into the outer boroughs.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Mr_Zombie posted:

3) What's Coney Island like? Anything to look out for if we head that way?

Russians :haw:

But seriously, if it's a nice day, I guess it could be worth your while. The boardwalk area still has a Roaring 20s era/carnival feel to it, so that's cool. Maybe try to catch a Cyclones game? I've only ever been there as an adult during the height of summer, when it's a bit more happening. There's always the aquarium, but there's a lot more attractions elsewhere in New York that would be higher on my list if I were visiting for the first time.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I'm going to be in New York for four full days. That's four New York Breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Current plan.

One of these dinners will be at a baseball game so awful pretzels and hotdogs abound! Any suggestions on this?

One dinner will be at a nice place, maybe the spotted dog as it's rated quite highly apparently.

The rest I'm just not sure. We are going to San Fran as well for three full days and my girlfriend has never been to the states. I really want to show her some great examples of NY/SFO/US food. For example we need to have a US burger. And some pizza. but preferably not awful varieties of each.

Any help with what places to go to?

Also where do you get the best bagels? I mean THE BEST. Not OK bagels. GREAT.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/restaurants/best-burgers-burger-joints

Bagels: there are a bunch of places that cook them on site. Any of those are fine. As with pizza there is no such thing as a definitive best, just a dozen or so artisans with their own superb takes.

Pizza: John's on Bleecker is my overall reccomendation. Not jammed up, locals eat there, you'll be in that area at some point anyway. It should be said though that pizza here functions as the go-to grab and go late night / cheap food, so a cheese slice from whatever joint nearest you that's still open at 5am is perhaps more authentic. Artichoke Pizza works in this vien but makes very high quality stuff (I love you crab slice) so consider doing that instead of a sit down pizza dinner.

Other stuff: You should have a pastrami reuben from Katz's. You should see a Broadway play, which one doesn't really matter as they're all either quite good or close shop in a few days. You should have a prix fixe dinner or lunch at one of the fancier places (just Google for "best prix fixe dinner/lunch nyc" and pick one -- the last place I went for this was Brushstroke). If you've never had Ethiopian food maybe you should (Queen of Sheba). Go to the Metropolitan Museum and when they ask you for you entrance fee proudly state "I can only swing a dollar!" and that's what they'll charge you.

Baseball: springing for a Mets or Yankees game might be a requisite for you, but for a more familial feel at 1/10th the cost consider seeing the Coney Island Cyclones play instead.

Drinks: take the girlfriend to Little Branch or Macao.

Souvenirs: the station agents in the subways usually have free maps. At the end of the day (or the next morning) draw in a picture and the name of the places you went on tur map.

raton fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 26, 2012

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

Thanks for the replies, folks.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Just got back on Wednesday from a 3-night trip to NYC. It was our first time there! Luckily I live in Tokyo so the prices for a lot of stuff was laughably cheap ($8 for a Rusty Nail), for the rest, it was pretty standard. Especially with JPYUSD being what it is.

Tourist stuff we did:
-Shopping at Century21 and 5th Ave
-Empire State Building
-Staten Island Ferry (thanks for the suggestion, Bumblebee and others)
-Got 2 slices of pizza and a drink from some random dirty pizza place for $2.50
-Walked around Central Park and the Met for a while
-Grand Central Station
-Saw Spiderman on Broadway (I'd choose something else if given another chance, but Book of Mormon is sold out forever and she wanted to see Spiderman)
-New York Public Library

Other stuff we did:
-Drank heavily at Campbell Apartment. Ate what's probably the best cheesecake of my life.
-Ate/drank at Village Yokocho. We thought it was pretty authentic. And surprisingly cheaper than we imagined, the prices are about the same as they would be if you ordered the same food here in Tokyo.

For a hotel, we stayed at Yotel New York. Extremely trendy and a nice terrace but otherwise nothing worth mentioning.

Some random thoughts:
-Didn't have any problems doing JFK->Jamaica->hotel with luggage. Then again the NYC subways seem like ghost trains compared to Tokyo so maybe we're biased.
-The MetroCard reade SUCKS, hard. I had to swipe the drat thing at least 3 times just to get in. NYC is lucky there isn't a flood of people trying to use the subway, since they'd have upgrade that crap overnight to avoid riots.
-CityMaps2Go is a good iPhone app if you're visiting from overseas and you're too cheap to pay data roaming charges. This app has saved me lots of headache/data usage fees in Panama, Dominican Republic, and now NYC.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 27, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can tell who is new here by whether or not they have their metrocard technique yet. The key is to put it through at walking speed IMO, not slow or fast.

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
I'm going to be stopping in New York for a couple nights on my way from Boston to Pittsburgh. Having been to NYC many times, but never by car, I know I don't want to try to park in the city or anywhere near where I'm staying. Any recommendations for a park and ride location, somewhere in Jersey maybe where I can leave my car for a night or two and take the train in? The cheaper the better.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Handsome Rob posted:

I'm going to be stopping in New York for a couple nights on my way from Boston to Pittsburgh. Having been to NYC many times, but never by car, I know I don't want to try to park in the city or anywhere near where I'm staying. Any recommendations for a park and ride location, somewhere in Jersey maybe where I can leave my car for a night or two and take the train in? The cheaper the better.

Depending on what direction/how far out you want to be, either Metropark or Secaucus Junction. Metropark is a lot cheaper, but further away.

Panthrax
Jul 12, 2001
I'm gonna hit you until candy comes out.
So, me and some friends are driving to NYC from Ohio, and need somewhere to park. The hotel's charging something stupid like $42/night. We're staying at the Holiday Inn on 57th between 9th and 10th Ave. Is there anything in the area that's not going to cost us $200 for the weekend?

pink champagne
Aug 21, 2007

~space bros 4 life~
Any recommendations for a nice but casual dress pre-theater dinner?

We don't plan on bringing anything dressy, and I don't want to look like a slob. :shobon: Also, one of us has never been to the United States, so American food would be great (or anything not Japanese/Chinese).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Go on yelp.com, select NYC, narrow your search to the theater district (I forget the wording of the exact option in yelp, probably "midtown") and then search for "prix fixe."

As for straight American food there are a number of diners in the general area that your Asain Waifu will enjoy, including one where the waitstaff stops serving at regular intervals to to a quick song/dance number.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr_Zombie
Mar 27, 2011

I just got back yesterday and I had an absolutely amazing time.

All the touristy destinations are super and if you're visiting New York for the first time you should definitely do a bunch of that stuff but please just walk around the place and find your own awesome time. As cool as The Empire State was it was infinitely cooler to wander down a street and find a festival or go to a bar and get chatting to a local. I wish I got more of a chance to head out to the boroughs but the people I went with weren't cut out for it. It's going to happen next time I go. I'm already saving in my head for the next trip.

Highlights for me included the walk back over the Brooklyn Bridge, the Cornerstone Cafe, Top of the Rock, wandering through Central Park on a wonderfully sunny day and just meandering about in general.

What an incredible place. I wish I lived there.

• Locked thread