Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
Yea I'd make a reservation at Jean-Georges in advance and enjoy the fine dining experience. Times Sq is really overrated.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Aug 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

If I were you, I would choose the Jean-Georges restaurant rather than its suspect Mexican cousin, Jean-Jorge's.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the black husserl posted:

In my opinion, I much prefer the Jean-Georges restaurant to its suspect Mexican cousin, Jean-Jorge's.

Another outright fusion cuisine racist, folks. Unbelievable...

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ChocNitty posted:

I got a small question...

A friend and I will be flying into newark international airport and we will have half a day of downtime there, with no car. My buddy has never been to NYC and i'd like to at least go have lunch in Times Square.

Is there a train route that we can take, that's within walking distance of the airport?

If not, is it feasible to take a bus?

Newark Airport has a train stop on a bunch of New Jersey Transit lines that go to New York City at Penn Station. It's fairly easy to get to/deal with.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now

the black husserl posted:

If I were you, I would choose the Jean-Georges restaurant rather than its suspect Mexican cousin, Jean-Jorge's.

Haha I just realized I did the Mexican spelling. I blame the hang over.

Someone should open a Juan-Jorges food cart and park right around Columbus Circle.

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 19, 2012

Sir Gladu
Nov 26, 2008

I'll be in New York next week, and would like some live music/theater/whatever recommendations from locals. I'll be alone and I'm not too fond of just hanging out in bars. Museum/galleries that stays open in the evening is great too. I got a ticket for Sleep no More, and I'll try to grab a place for Shakespeare Outside at Delacorte. Thanks!

Mephysteaux
Oct 30, 2009
So, fairly specific question. I'm looking to spend a couple days in NYC that happen to coincide with the Food Network Wine & Food Festival. Does the festival bring enough foodies to town that it gets extraordinarily difficult to get into some of the more well-known restaurants?

Specifically, I'm looking to go to Fette Sau on Friday, and I'll have a group training up from Philly Saturday morning, we might be going somewhere for a price fix lunch/brunch when they arrive. I'm wary of actually making a reservation, though, since this group is notoriously for being held up by late people, and having others bail on plans last minute.

Also, does anyone have much experience with the Chinatown bus? I figure it'll save me some cash. I'm a bit wary of it, though, just because a few years back I was living near DC, and my then-girlfriend took the Chinatown bus to visit me, and one of her rides ended up leaving 2 hours late. I don't know if that's a regular occurrence, or if she was just unlucky.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
What are the chances/ how early do I have to get there to see ASSSSCAT 3000 with the standby line?

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Mephysteaux posted:

Also, does anyone have much experience with the Chinatown bus? I figure it'll save me some cash. I'm a bit wary of it, though, just because a few years back I was living near DC, and my then-girlfriend took the Chinatown bus to visit me, and one of her rides ended up leaving 2 hours late. I don't know if that's a regular occurrence, or if she was just unlucky.

They'll usually leave on time nowadays, but that doesn't mean they'll arrive on time.

hermand
Oct 3, 2004

V-Dubbin
Does anyone have any personal experience with "The London" in NYC. We're currently planning our honeymoon and it looks pretty nice, but it's very expensive (It certainly tips the upper end of our budget for a "London Suite") and I want to be 100% sure.

Tripadviser has great reviews with a few exceptions (as always), but I'd love to hear from some Goons.

Also, is 7 days a good amount time to come to New York, from the UK? It'll be in August, by the way.

Blue Pony
May 12, 2007

Its not a pony, its a MAGIC pony.
I don't know if this is the right thread for this or if its the Regional Discussion thread, but I'm in New York right now and literally every single hostel and hotel is full up! I mean it, everything is occupied. I spent a day going from hostel to hostel, then hostel to hotel, and nobody had room! Everything I've looked at online says their full as well!

One hotel told me its because this is "Fashion week" in NY and everyone in the fashion world is here for a week and a half. Designers, models, you name it.

I finally found a hotel in the bronx but its pricey. I had planned to stay in a nice cheap hostel while looking for an apartment, but now I'm going to have to go stay a week or two with my best friend's grandma's place an hour away until this whole thing blows over.

I flew in on sept 11th because it was dirt cheap to fly to NY on that day. Is September just a really bad month for travel or is it always like this?

When I lived in San Francisco and couldn't find a new place before my lease was up, I was able to walk into any hostel and get a shared room right away. And this was also in September!

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010
Planning a trip back to NYC in january when hotel prices seems a little bit human that normal. Anyone got any idea of a 4* hotel that offers single rooms for a decent price?. Theres a few good deals on hotwire i'll go with if i cant find any else thats good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're concerned about four stars and price? There are a shitload of very good four star hotels in NY, many with history, most with outrageous prices.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

Sheep-Goats posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're concerned about four stars and price? There are a shitload of very good four star hotels in NY, many with history, most with outrageous prices.

Thats not really what i asked for. My question if anyone know of any 4stars hotels that offer single rates/rooms in NYC.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005
Hello everyone. My girlfriend and I are visiting NYC for a week to celebrate her 21st. I have a couple of requests:

1. Eating. I would like to visit a Michelin star restaurant, there is a list of them here. Of course, they all have good reviews. I would just like some goon input on where we could go, we both have very broad palates and any cuisine is fine.

2. Aside from all the touristy stuff; is there anything we should really do while we are there? It will be my first time in America and basically I would like to be American for a week!

We arrive on the 24th October. Thanks!

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

Ormy posted:

2. Aside from all the touristy stuff; is there anything we should really do while we are there? It will be my first time in America and basically I would like to be American for a week!

If you're gonna be in the neighborhood of Rockefeller Plaza (and why wouldn't you?) try riding the mechanical bull with the bankers at Johnny Utah's. That's pretty American right there.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded
The girlfriend and I will be visiting this coming weekend. We're staying at New York Lofts Hostel, which is at 249 Varet (near Varet & Bogart) in Brooklyn. I'm told the neighborhood is "sketchy", but that means one thing if it's coming from a suburbanite and something else entirely from someone who actually lives in NY.

From what I can tell, it doesn't seem any worse than any other part of any other large city. It looks like your standard-issue situational awareness and common sense will be sufficient. If anything, the area looks fairly tame. Any feedback from goons in the area? We'll be doing some late night returns; is it a safe walk from the Morgan Ave L at Harrison & Bogart?

Honestly, it looks like it's all iPhones and Beards from Google Street View.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Put the nearest cross street in to Google maps and then search for "Crown Fried Chicken." Post the screenshot here and we'll tell you if it's a bad neighborhood or not if your haven't figured it out yet on your own.

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded
Hah. This place is hipster central. We passed a gaggle of beards and iPhones, and someone was blasting the Portlandia theme. Ironically, of course.

We took the skyride over to Roosevelt Island today. Though Roosevelt Island doesn't necessarily stand out for anything in particular (at least no more so than anything else you'll find in the city), the tram ride is worth a trip. Totally free if you have an MTA unlimited ride pass. Plenty of unique photo ops during the short ride, too.

fritzov
Oct 24, 2010

SwivelTits2000 posted:

Hah. This place is hipster central. We passed a gaggle of beards and iPhones, and someone was blasting the Portlandia theme. Ironically, of course.

We took the skyride over to Roosevelt Island today. Though Roosevelt Island doesn't necessarily stand out for anything in particular (at least no more so than anything else you'll find in the city), the tram ride is worth a trip. Totally free if you have an MTA unlimited ride pass. Plenty of unique photo ops during the short ride, too.

Yeah i loved going to Roosvelt Island, Great view of the Manhattan Skyline from there.

Ormy
Apr 5, 2005

bam thwok posted:

If you're gonna be in the neighborhood of Rockefeller Plaza (and why wouldn't you?) try riding the mechanical bull with the bankers at Johnny Utah's. That's pretty American right there.

This sounds perfect, thanks!

cancelope
Sep 23, 2010

The cops want to search the train

Sheep-Goats posted:

Put the nearest cross street in to Google maps and then search for "Crown Fried Chicken." Post the screenshot here and we'll tell you if it's a bad neighborhood or not if your haven't figured it out yet on your own.

Speaking of that, I'm looking to stay somewhere near JFK for one night in early November, and I reserved a place very near to Jamaica Station (the Quality Inn). The price is great for New York, of course, and it should be easy to get there from the city and to leave the next morning via AirTrain. I'm likely to be carrying some bags, most conspicuously a laptop bag. I'm not from the US and I have only spent very little time in NYC before (and that was in Chelsea & the UES), will I be ok getting to & from the hotel with my stuff and finding somewhere to eat at reasonable hours? I could even go to Crown!

EDIT: I'm going solo.

cancelope fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Oct 12, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That area is lovely but you'll be okay. It's just the terrible kind of lovely not the dangerous kind.

I've eaten eaten at the Crown Fried Chicken there. It's pretty good.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I feel guilty for even asking this as there is so much information out there, but I and my fiancée will be in NYC over New Years Eve and I'm having trouble working out what to do. I realise I'm leaving it a bit late, but I'm happy to splurge a bit on something nice - any particular recommendations for restaurants, bars etc? I think we lean away from too touristy, but I'd still like to give her as special an experience as I can manage - I was considering some of the boat things to watch the fireworks or ideally some chill rooftop bar or something that we can also get dinner at and relax. I expect most everywhere will be jam packed and/or booked out, though, but if its too full on and we can't hear each other speak we'll probably get bored and head back to the hotel early. Any thoughts?

SwivelTits2000
Jan 17, 2007
Retarded

Blamestorm posted:

any particular recommendations for restaurants, bars etc? I think we lean away from too touristy, but I'd still like to give her as special an experience as I can manage

Well, what are you into?

NYC is one of the biggest cities on the planet. It's one of the few places in the world where you can step off the train and find something new and exciting within minutes. There are hundreds of thousands of "nice" and "special" things to do, but you have to give us something to work with. What's awesome for me might suck for you.

There's always old standards like Please Don't Tell.

SwivelTits2000 fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Dec 9, 2012

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
Well I was thinking in the particular context of places that would be good as a NYE destination but I've booked something now (on a ship) so all good there. I'd still like to make a couple of restaurant bookings for Xmas eve and day - I guess I feel just a bit overwhelmed by the choice. How about for Xmas eve a good restaurant with a view over the city? Any thoughts?

Scam Newton
Oct 3, 2012

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe.
So I'm having this girl come visit me for christmas and she is a Vegan (ugh). She keeps whining that she really wants to find a hole-in-the-wall vegan restaurant in the city. I'm from Staten Island and I have no idea where to start with that crap haha. If anyone knows of anything please let me know. Thanks!

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language
http://supervegan.com/restaurants.php
Seriously there are SO MANY vegan options in the NYC area and lots of them are just as good as non-vegan food. It's a little tough on a traditional holiday such as Christmas, but I go get vegan food with my bff all the time and I am an omnivore who is very happy with 99% of the options.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Scam Newton posted:

So I'm having this girl come visit me for christmas and she is a Vegan (ugh). She keeps whining that she really wants to find a hole-in-the-wall vegan restaurant in the city. I'm from Staten Island and I have no idea where to start with that crap haha. If anyone knows of anything please let me know. Thanks!

Anywhere in Brooklyn with a lot of white nonimmigrants.

Barracuda Bang!
Oct 21, 2008

The first rule of No Avatar Club is: you do not talk about No Avatar Club. The second rule of No Avatar Club is: you DO NOT talk about No Avatar Club
Grimey Drawer

Sheep-Goats posted:

Anywhere in Brooklyn with a lot of white nonimmigrants.

Bedford is the Fifth Ave of vegan

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How important is the neighbourhood you stay in to you guys? We're ready to put down our booking in airbnb now, but still not set on where exactly to stay. Not because nowhere looks right, but more that everywhere looks cool. Two places I'm looking at at the moment couldn't be more different (one on Orchard St, LES that's pretty small but the street itself looks great, and one on the Williamsburg Waterfront that's twice the size but in a quieter looking area).

I'm guessing easy access to the subway kinda lowers the importance on where your base is? I thought staying out of Manhattan would make life a little bit harder, but it really doesn't seem that this is the case. The more I look around street view, the more I realise just how little time 7 nights is for a city as big as this. The only concern I have is getting back home after midnight - I know the 7 day unlimited travel card only runs up until 12am and that the subway is a little sketchy then, especially as we're likely to have at least a few drinks in us. Having a good nightlife in the local area would probably help out in that respect, but I'm sure everywhere has good bars (or a liquor store at least!).

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The subway is safe at any hour. Just gross after 12. You can stay in either spot. Is this for a seven day vacation or are you moving here? If you're moving here you should probably stay in Williamsburg. Id you're visiting Orchard st. is a pretty rad place to stay.

Both of those locations are thick with nightlife even for NYC.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 23, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah sorry, just a 7 day vacation. Thanks for the info on the subway, a bit gross I can handle to be honest! Regardless of where we stay, I think we'll be heading out to as many of the different areas as possible... I watch too much Bourdain to really care that much about landmarks and getting to the tops of towers, I just want to explore, eat and drink!

Now to start making insane lists of everything I want to do in each area, because it's likely that once we've finished for the day, there won't be time to go back!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When I planned my mom's visit I choose an afternoon thing and an evening thing and planned the food around that. Everywhere you go there is something special to eat (apart from Times Square which is nothing but chain restaurants and a few pre-theater types of eateries).

One thing I would heartily suggest is buying a ticket (or two) to Sleep No More. I take anyone who visits nee here to see that show, it's a little pricy but very unique and a ton of fun. Don't spoil it by looking it up on YouTube, just buy a ticket, come about 30 minutes before your slot, and if you have time watch Macbeth (PBS has a really great version available online starring Patrick Stewart) and Hitchcock's Rebecca before coming. And be brave and do what you want while there.

For food there's too much to reccomend, but probably the NYCest thing to eat near Orchard Street is a pastrami Ruben from Katz's deli.

Edit: also if there are two of you don't be afraid to just take a cab at night. The train gets infrequent and annoying and the traffic isn't loving you by then so it's often well worth just hailing a cab. I think the MTA got rid of the 7 day unlimited ticket too (assholes) so just get a regular card with like 20 on it and refill as needed.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 23, 2012

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think that's pretty much the plan, fill my travel app notes with more stuff than humanly possible for each area then narrow it down to something big for the afternoon/evening with ideas for food and a few drinks.

Sleep No More does sound really interesting, and definitely not like anything I've ever done before. I'll throw the link to the site to my friend, and see if he's up for it. I take it the $95 ticket price is pretty much the lowest you can get it? It is quite expensive, but I'd like to give it a shot.

Haha yeah I know Katz' from TV shows and friends, I watched some show where they had a blind taste test between them and the 2nd Ave lot. Both looked awesome to me, so hope to hit at least one of them!

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, 80 to 90 is the cheapest. It's actually better to go during the week. It's worth it, don't be a cheap rear end.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'm throwing everything I have at the trip, definitely don't want to come back thinking 'drat, I wish we'd done x'. Only problem is I was relying on a few months of overtime rates to pay for all the awesome stuff, and guess who's had all their overtime cut? Great timing. At least the flights are paid for, and hoping to cover accommodation and some of the other expenses with Christmas money. January becomes eBay time and hunting for extra work!

donni
Mar 29, 2007
byah!
16 handles. Best froyo in the world. Go there.

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel in Manhattan/Brooklyn? My friend and I are going over Memorial Day weekend and the person who we were supposed to stay with can't host us anymore. Ideally we would like something as cheap as possible but in a good enough location that we can still travel around with relative ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!
Hello all. I'm looking at going to New York this coming weekend (probably Saturday afternoon - Tuesday afternoon). I'm looking for recommendations on hostels to stay in. I'll be traveling alone and am looking forward to exploring the city alone, but meeting some new people would be awesome and probably easier in a hostel.

• Locked thread