Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
REALLY general here, but my and my girlfriend are going to be going to NYC for 4 nights in Early june from Australia. She's never been to NYC before, or in fact America, or anywhere that isn't Australia or Asia. I lived in the USA for 4 years near DC when I was a kid. That said I'm obviously still pumped about going also BUT

1. Where to stay? Everyone tells me 500 different things. I was thinking something like the Hotel Beacon in the Lower East side, or near Times Square? We want to do a heap of touristy poo poo, and shopping.

2. WHAT touristy poo poo is the best? We'll be flying from LA to NYC on the 2nd of June hoping to arrive between 4pm-6pm so we can go out for dinner and roam the streets. Then the 3/4/5 we definitely have free. Then the 6th we'll be flying to SFO at some point. I wanna cram as much touristy poo poo as possible in. She'll want to cram as much shopping as possible in.

3. Best shopping? She'll of course want to at least look at the gaudy shops (can you literally eat breakfast at tiffanys this is a serious question) but also just big shopping centres or malls will suffice where she can buy labels and poo poo that are stupid expensive here.

4. Food - I like the idea of going to a 'cheap' Michelin place to eat like someone linked earlier in the thread. But I also want to show her the glories of an American Hamburger and Pizza. Pretzels also. I'd love to to one of the areas you see which is like delis and bagels and poo poo but I don't know if I'm just trying to be a hipster moron on this part.

5. Dear god tipping one person said 10% one person said 15% now someone else in the thread said keep it simple do one half of one third (wtf mate) I just don't want people to be offended at me

6. Something romantic to do that I can surprise my woman for at night? Nothing hyper expensive but like some cool place. Anything unique like that that any locals have heard of would be awesome.

Thanks all :)

EDIT- OH and also for a sopranos fan is the sopranos tour worth it at all?

teacup fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Feb 19, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

hitension posted:

Some say 15% is standard, some say 20% is standard. You can't really go wrong with tipping on the high end. I worked as a server in the US and I usually got 20% tips (to the point where if I got a 15% tip, I'd wonder what I'd do wrong) but I was a really kickass server too. If you get bad service obviously it's okay to tip less like 10-15%, but I would never not tip as servers are paid less than minimum wage and must use your tip to make their wages.

On the plus side, the server is AT YOUR WHIM and if you do get bad food or something, you can usually complain and get a replacement for free (doesn't work so well at inexpensive non-chain restaurants). American service culture is pretty weird.

Oh yeah I'd never not tip - I just don't want to be a fool giving away too much cash but also not to be a stingy idiot either. Thanks for the advice :)

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
So I'm going to be in New York for four full days. That's four New York Breakfasts, lunches and dinners. Current plan.

One of these dinners will be at a baseball game so awful pretzels and hotdogs abound! Any suggestions on this?

One dinner will be at a nice place, maybe the spotted dog as it's rated quite highly apparently.

The rest I'm just not sure. We are going to San Fran as well for three full days and my girlfriend has never been to the states. I really want to show her some great examples of NY/SFO/US food. For example we need to have a US burger. And some pizza. but preferably not awful varieties of each.

Any help with what places to go to?

Also where do you get the best bagels? I mean THE BEST. Not OK bagels. GREAT.

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =

Ommin posted:

I will be in NYC in just over a week with my sister, niece, and nephew.

Are any of those "city passes" worth it? If so, is there one that is better than the others?

The NYC pass (google it) has a decent iphone app to go with it. Plan out what you actually want to see and crunch the numbers. Me and my girlfriend only had one day really free up for that stuff but we were going to do the Rockefeller Centre, a Circle Island Ferry Cruise, and a couple of musuems and the pass for one day was less than the combined entry for those things so we just got that and also did like a food tour and something else. But you want to plan it otherwise you end up going "look all these things for only X dollars!" when in reality you may have not gone to any of those places at all.

• Locked thread