Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
brijacked
Dec 24, 2006

nervana posted:

what is the best way to go about getting the tickets to a yankees game (probably against the athletics or mariners, as they play when we go)? i was originally planning on getting some nice seats, but seeing as how tickets can easily cost over 200$, i'm probably going to settle for some second floor seats behind the catcher, or those near the right fielder (foul zone, not outfield). they still cost around 100$ on the yankees website, is there any way to get them for cheaper? im going with a friend, so we need two tickets, if that makes a difference.

Stubhub is flooded with tickets priced at far below the face value the Yankees charge. Take a look on there for the game you want to see.

nervana posted:

we're also going to try and get some tickets to a musical. we're looking at phantom of the opera or mamma mia or whatever, but i know its possible to get discounts on some shows. how do i go about doing this?

The TKTS booth is your best friend: http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?id=56

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006
Honestly, strolling neighborhoods, parks, etc. are awesome to do when you're on your own. Pick a neighborhood and just walk the streets. Take in the sights, sounds, and cultures on a nice day.

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006
REI is what I'd suggest - http://www.yelp.com/biz/rei-manhattan

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006

Busy Bee posted:

Looking to get from 116th and Amsterdam (Columbia University) to JFK on Monday morning. So far my best bet is the $45 flat rate Taxi. My flight departs at 9:25 am. What's my best bet and how long should I expect for it to take me to get to JFK?
Could I prepay for my taxi ride with a credit card before they pick me up?

Google says it's about 35 minutes to get to JFK; I went a few weeks ago from a similar location and it was a bit shorter. Keep in mind that I traveled on a Sunday night. Based on your flight time, it looks like you would be traveling in the heart of rush hour; I'd budget at least an hour.

With a car service, you may be able to prepay with a credit card. If you just hail a cab, you'd be able to pay for the ride with a CC in the cab anyway. Additionally, the $45 flat-rate does NOT include tolls and tip for the driver. My ride ended up costing around $61 after paying the toll for the triboro and tipping the driver.

Hope this helps some.

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006
Considering the time of day, it might not take a lot longer to take the AirTrain from Jamaica. You would have to take the subway to Penn (approx. 20-25 mins from where you are), LIRR to Jamaica (15 mins), AirTrain to JFK (10-15 mins). Considering waiting times and not timing everything perfectly, you're looking at give or take an hour and change to get to JFK. The total cost would be around $12 bucks per person - $2.25 for the subway, ~$5 or so for the LIRR ticket, and then I believe it's $5 for the AirTrain, as opposed to the $60+ for the cab.

Taking into account rush hour traffic and potentially crappy February weather, it might be worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brijacked
Dec 24, 2006
I'm not quite sure what you mean by that, but the Tenement Museum may fit that criteria:

http://www.yelp.com/biz/lower-east-side-tenement-museum-new-york

• Locked thread