Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

teacup posted:

2. WHAT touristy poo poo is the best? We'll be flying from LA to NYC on the 2nd of June hoping to arrive between 4pm-6pm so we can go out for dinner and roam the streets. Then the 3/4/5 we definitely have free. Then the 6th we'll be flying to SFO at some point. I wanna cram as much touristy poo poo as possible in. She'll want to cram as much shopping as possible in.

3. Best shopping? She'll of course want to at least look at the gaudy shops (can you literally eat breakfast at tiffanys this is a serious question) but also just big shopping centres or malls will suffice where she can buy labels and poo poo that are stupid expensive here.

4. Food - I like the idea of going to a 'cheap' Michelin place to eat like someone linked earlier in the thread. But I also want to show her the glories of an American Hamburger and Pizza. Pretzels also. I'd love to to one of the areas you see which is like delis and bagels and poo poo but I don't know if I'm just trying to be a hipster moron on this part.

Touristy stuff:

The Empire State Building is a fantastic view, but be ready to wait in a long rear end line. Some say the observation deck of 30 Rockefeller Center is just as good, but with a slightly shorter wait. I have lunch during the week in the food plaza there and don't really see the insane crowds waiting to go up that I do at the ESB.

Avoid the Statue of Liberty, as the trip over and back will take up half of a day. There's a free Staten Island ferry that will take you past it, which is much nicer and you will get some cool photos. Unless you are really really interested in the history of the Statue (which is quite interesting, don't get me wrong!), don't bother going to the island.

I used to work downtown and I always saw tons of tourists at the World Trade Center site, so there's always that...

The Metropolitan Museum of Art is stunning, as is the Museum of Natural History.

The High Line is a nice place to stroll and people watch...you might even see some exhibitionists having sex in the window of The Standard Hotel. There's also some good shopping and restaurants in this neighborhood (the Meatpacking District).

The walk across the Brooklyn Bridge is great if it's not too, too hot. When on the other side, you'll get some amazing photos of Lower Manhattan.

I've never done the Sopranos tour, but most of it was filmed in Jersey and Long Island City, so that might be a long tour. However, we did the Gangs of New York walking tour a few years ago and loved it.

Central Park is gorgeous. Take a few hours and just wander. You'll be amazed what you stumble upon.

Shopping:

If you want to hit the high end stuff, just walk 5th Avenue in the 50s. You'll hit Henri Bendel, Tiffany's, Cartier, Harry Winston, and all the big name designers. You'll also be close to the 5th Ave Apple store, which looks beautiful from the outside. (Inside is a madhouse, though.)

There are a lot of trendy boutiques down in Soho, just take the N or R train down to Prince Street and walk around.

Food:

Shake Shake or Burger Joint (hidden in the Le Parker Meridien Hotel) for, well, burgers. You'll have a long wait for both, however.

Katz's is drat good deli, but pricey and often crowded.

Artichoke for pizza and Crif Dog for hot dogs.

I'm sure others will have better suggestions, but this is all just off the top of my head. Hope you guys have fun! :)

Bumblebee fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Feb 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bumblebee
May 23, 2007

Clever Betty

facey fred posted:

Anybody seen Sleep No More? I'm going to be in NY for 5 days, and I'm on the fence about it. The whole concept seems super cool, but a lot of the reviews I've read keep mentioning that it has a "haunted house" vibe. I hate haunted houses but love cool theater.

I saw it a little over a year ago, not long after it first opened. Absolutely loved it. Spent about 3 hours wandering around, taking in the different storylines and the bizarre surroundings. It's not scary at all...more surreal, I guess. You might get a bit disoriented after awhile, but that's about it. No one jumps out at you or chases you, if that's what you are concerned about.

Fortunately when we went, the show wasn't very well known. We were in the first group of the night that only had about 15 people total. We actually found areas & rooms that no one had stumbled upon yet and could investigate in peace or have one-on-one interactions with the cast. However, I know some people that went recently and said it was a nightmare -- too many people packed in, insanly hot inside, no room to really move around independently and hard to really follow the story. It was a one of a kind experience for sure and a lot of fun, but if you decide to go, definitely try it early on a week night.

• Locked thread