Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SwivelTits2000 posted:

We'll be visiting for my birthday in early October. Can someone recommend a kick-rear end place to get pancakes? I'm serious: that's my all-time favorite food and we normally do really well by finding hole-in-the-wall off-the-beaten-path diners, but I'd love to hear suggestions. Price is not a concern (if some place makes a $100 pancake, I'm in), but attire is. We're jeans-and-flannel types so wherever we go has to be casual. I'm less interested in 5-star celebrity breakfast spots and more interested in some place 45 minutes out of the way in Queens.

TL/DR: Pancakes. Price not a factor. Casual dress definitely a factor.

I'm assuming you mean American disney erica pancakes, not crepes, palacsinta, pajeong, Dutch babies, etc etc etc.

gently caress shopsins. It's aunt jemima from a carton with interesting add-ins, cooked by a complete rear end in a top hat and overpriced.

Comfort diner., e45th
Green kitchen, 77th and 1st. My old neighborhood go-to, I would put it up against any pancakes in the city.
Neptune diner, astoria. (Take the m60) reliably on best diner lists
Mermaid inn (uws, can't vouch for other locations. My favorite oyster place in the city, with a great brunch.

Sadly, big nicks, my favorite soup burg, a d the Jackson hole that did ready good pancakes are all closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Chikimiki posted:

Greetings NYC goons! I'm gonna travel to New York in the last week of October with my girlfriend and two good friends of us, before attending a friend's wedding in Greensboro, NC. It's our first time in the US (we're french and german respectively), so we're not too familiar with how things work over the pond.

First off, accomodation: I was a bit surprised by the crazy prices in the city, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, preferably cheap, hostel/hotel close to the city center. I don't mind a spartan comfort, as long as it's clean and calm. Otherwise, any good advices on Airbnb, apart from being careful with full apartment rentals? Any areas to avoid?

Second, is it worth driving down from NYC to Greensboro? Washington, DC is on the road, as well as the Shenandoah National Park, but I don't know if we would have enough time to appreciate those...
Oh, and does anyone know of a nice car rental service in or around New York? I've found some ok ones online (mainly enterprise.com), but the gringo in me would love to drive an old Lincoln or Gran Torino, if such a thing exists naturally :)

Many thanks in advance!

Hotels: Long Island City (LIC) is very close in by subway or car and has a number of reasonably OK hotels that are much cheaper than hotels actually in Manhattan.

Driving: You're looking at a good 10 hours, only the end part of which has nice scenery. If you want to do it though, do it. The trick to driving down from NYC to the south is to (a) leave NYC at a time that avoids rush hour. Super early morning is good for that but it conflicts with (b) time things so you're not hitting DC rush hour. If you were familiar with the route and US driving practices, I'd say do it on the overnight, but as tourists, maybe shoot for for 6:30 am so you hit DC after morning rush but before lunch? I dunno.

Any rental company that's going to allow point-to-point or driving out of tristate is not going to rent anything but the usual run of rental cars, sorry.

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Chokes McGee posted:

Hi everyone. First time thread poster, long time Schenectedy visitor. Can someone explain to me how in the motherfuck people afford to live in the major NYC area? I mean I assume people don't have apartments two blocks from Times Square or anything but you guys have to live somewhere.

Right? :ohdear:

Dude, right near TSQ aren't even particularly expensive residences. But seriously, north of 110 or in any of the outer boroughs (other than prime Brooklyn, which is now pricier than loving Carnegie Hill I don't even) is not "cheap" but can be affordable. Especially if you get roommates in a small walk-up off a lesser subway (lol the G).

If you're willing to accept a 90-120 minute commute (which a lot of people do), you can even buy a house for only 200% of national average for comparables!

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Daveski posted:

I'm gonna be in the city all next week and have a couple days with no work or plans. What's some fun stuff to do alone? Looks like it might rain so I'm thinking indoor stuff, like going to an indie movie theater or a lesser known museum or something like that. Bookstores and movie/DVD stores would be great too. Not real into bars but cool cafes are good. Staying in Manhattan but I'll wander around anywhere.

Museums. We have a lot and most of them are great. Lesser known and good: art: Frick, whitney, MoMA PS1 in LIC, Brooklyn museum, folk art, cloisters; cultural: museo del barrio, Jewish museum, native American museum at the battery, and on and on (whatever your ethnic backgrounds and interests, there's likely to be at least one museum laser-targeted for you in the city)
Only bookstore worth going to as a tourist (unless you have a special interest in one of the specialized stores that remain) is Strand. With Kim's gone, no movie store is worth visiting as a tourist.
Cafes, there's at least one somewhat cool cafe or cafe-likw space in almost everyneighborhood .

The problem with recommending anyone anything is there's something for everyone. Into film? Museum of the Moving Image, good indie cinemas in Manhattan and Brooklyn. Into cafe culture or coffee conneisurship? Cafes for both of those.

• Locked thread