Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
birds
Jun 28, 2008

I booked a weekend trip to New York on a whim today and I'm leaving on Thursday (but will arrive Friday around midnight) and coming back Sunday. I'm 20 years old and poor as poo poo too so if anyone can help me that'd be great! Last time I was in the city was back in 2001 so I'm open to doing some touristy things too because I either missed out on them or don't remember them.

I'll be staying with a friend in Ridgewood who has other commitments so I'm on my own pretty much as far as getting around is concerned. So I'd like to budget $200 at the most for NYC, any suggestions on things that might be good for a retard who randomly decided to go to NYC alone without a plan for a couple of days?

Also, to show you how poorly this is being executed, I can get to EWR from Ridgewood through public transit right?

birds fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 28, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Sheep-Goats posted:

Macintosh: Sign up for The Skint, Nonsensenyc and maybe Brokelyn (email lists of cheap / often off beat events, Google will find them easily) now and go through the things they mail you. I went to a free storytelling thing last week (which was at a bar but there was no one at the door so you could have went in and talked a qt girl into buying you a drink) with people from NPR and The Moth and whatnot. When you get here buy a Time Out New York magazine (available in many news shops) which lists a lot of events with a cent sign meaning they're cheap or with a little 18+ logo I'd they let non-drinking age people in. Some bars here are very aggressive with carding, others don't seem to care that much. Many venues just do wrist bands for over 21.

Something I always do with visitors is the Met. It's a big museum, it's on the subway maps, and while they suggest 20 bucks for admission you can pay what you want for your admissions button (their building is on public land, it's part of their charter). I usually do a dollar a person. They have a sickening amount of fine art, an awesome arms and armor exhibit (Henry the 8ths armor, a muramasa katana, some rad horse armor, etc etc), a little Egyptian temple preserved in its entirety, and lots of other puerile for you to meet and spend the rest of your day with if you're so inclined.

For cheap eats concentrate on the food trucks which range from gourmet to basic but are never too expensive. Ippudo Ramen is a fun, not too expensive Big Meal Out for you which won't break your budget (15 for one of the city's most well regarded bowls, lots of atmosphere). Get there exactly at 5pm (or even a little earlier on the weekend) unless you love lines.

Any particular interests?

I live in NYC so I'm not allowed to know anything about NJ transit. But if I wanted to I'd type in New Jersey Transit which is the name for their public transport system I think and do some searches. I'd be surprised if there was no way to get from EWR to Ridgewood. I work weekends so I can't show you around or anything.

Thanks for the suggestions! Definitely going to check out the Met as well as MoMA. Here's what my tentative plan looks like at the moment.

Friday
11 AM - Head out to Manhattan
12:30 PM - Lunch somewhere
1:00 PM - Highline? My brother told me to go here, is there anything worth seeing here?
2:00 PM - One World Trade Center because I like architecture and pretty buildings.
7:00 PM - The Accidental Pervert on 13th Street, a play that looks to be pretty good according to NYT.
9:00 PM - Times Square for pretty lights and people watching.
10:00 PM - Head back to Ridgewood

Saturday
10 AM - Head out to Manhattan
11:30 AM - Lunch in/near Central Park & walking around
1:30 PM - The Met
3:30 PM - MoMA
5:30 PM - Top of the Rock
9:30 PM - Head back to Ridgewood

So I think Friday is pretty set but Saturday I have a pretty big gap between Rockefeller and heading back to NJ (flight leaves at 7:30 AM so I want to get back a little early), I was thinking of just walking around and exploring but if there's anything nearby that's maybe a little under the radar and cool, I'm open to that too.

birds
Jun 28, 2008

Oh so I just got back from New York a couple weeks ago now so I wanted to thank y'all for your suggestions. The Met was incredible. Crowded, but really great. I wasn't able to secure tickets to any shows since I was going last minute but I still had a great time just walking around. Walking around Central Park at lunch time by myself was definitely my favorite part of the trip though. Weather was loving gorgeous and there was a nice little secluded spot where I could just sit in the shade and read. And transportation from Ridgewood to NYC wasn't bad at all, got to the city in about an hour and a half with no hiccups or a ton of walking. Way better than I expected but I think next time I'll try out AirBnb.

Might actually be headed back on a longer trip in the summer, hoping to try out Perry St (had reservations but woke up too late to get there in time), Yankee game, maybe a show or two, and check out some lesser known restaurants.

birds fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 21, 2013

birds
Jun 28, 2008

I'm heading to Columbus, OH for Thanksgiving but because of my school schedule, I'm taking a 4:15 PM flight from Orange County, CA to Newark, staying there for 6 hours then taking a 6:10 AM flight to Columbus. I spent a night in Newark Penn Station earlier this year and it loving sucked and while EWR obviously isn't as bad, the wifi isn't free and everything will be closed.

So I want to go to the city. At 12:30 AM. On Thanksgiving day. Is this feasible? I have no issue paying for an airport shuttle on the way back to ensure I catch my flight. I just want to walk around Central Park at night or something.

• Locked thread