Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I'm leaving Green Bay, WI and heading to NYC tomorrow and will be there for five days. I'm staying at the Wyndham Times Square and have an entertainment budget of about $100/day. I'd (mostly) like to avoid having to take a cab anywhere. Any bars with amazing drink specials? Any ideas for activities? I prefer to be active and/or have my mind stimulated - I'm not a huge fan of going to the movies or other "passive" entertainment but will gladly hit up an indoor driving range, arcade, or art gallery. A non-pretentious coffee shop where I could get in a game of chess would be nice.

Is it hard to find :420: in NYC if you don't know anybody and want to avoid potential injury? Also, I have a large unkempt beard which hides a clean-shaven neck... will I be more likely stereotyped as a bum or a terrorist? I'm white and it's been 10 years so I'm thinking bum, but I like to wear nice clothes and lack the smell of urine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
I'd like to thank this thread - I had a blast in New York with a lot of these recommendations. I didn't really do the whole touristy sightseeing thing but met plenty of cool people, dug the architecture, walked roughly 40 miles in 5 days, and my worst experience was losing a $12 pack of cigarettes after only smoking three of them.

I got to experience things that just don't happen here in Green Bay. I saw a crackhead get literally kicked out of a restaurant, played a drunken heroin junkie/hooker and her guido pimp in a $1000 game of pool, and even broke up a fight between two guys angry about whose food was up first at a street vendor. I only saw one rat for a brief moment - in Chinatown - before it climbed into a storm drain in a desperate attempt to escape from the downright toughest looking cat I've ever beheld.

I'd also like to apologize to the city of New York for the gallon or two of various substances I drunkenly expressed onto its streets and sidewalks at 4am. In my defense it wasn't NEARLY as much as some of the locals I saw.

Illegibly Eligible
Jul 21, 2009
Not NYC specific and not trying to feed a tipping flame war but 1/2 of 1/3 (or 1/3 of 1/2) rounded up to the nearest dollar is my general rule. It makes the math easy and ends up on the better side of 16% - it's how I generally give gratuities, more if service and/or the server's personality is outstanding. I've never gotten negativity for tipping this way; all of my servers in NYC seemed pleased. Bear in mind that some cultures don't view tipping the same way that Americans do, so if you're going to a strongly ethnic restaurant you may want to familiarize yourself with specifics.

• Locked thread