Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jmy
Nov 8, 2011
I will be living in NYC for 7 months starting this January for a graduate research internship. Since most of the info in this thread is geared towards people visiting rather than actually living there, I have a few questions for NYC residents. Are there any general customs I should know of, or tips or tricks on how to adapt to the city quickly? Things I should definitely do / see? Any things I should definitely not do / avoid? Also my internship is non-paid so I will be living off my student loans, any general help regarding budgetting in NYC is appreciated. I realize these are very vague questions, so please ask if you need any more info.

Some general information about me:

-I'm from Holland, currently live in a fairly large city (by Dutch standards, ~400.000 people) and study in Amsterdam, so I'm not new to cities in general.
-I will commute from the upper west side (housing) to downtown (internship) and back every day.
-Breakfast and dinner will be provided so I won't have to worry about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jmy
Nov 8, 2011

Erwin posted:

You should check out the thread for NYC residents and ask there (not saying you won't get answers here, but you'll probably get more help there).

Didn't even realize that subforum still existed, thanks!

• Locked thread