Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

He was a veray parfit gentil knight.
Walk the High Line. Especially on a nice day.

Already mentioned, but McSorely's is some authentic New York Americana. Nothing has been removed from the walls since 1910 and there are a million stories about this place. It's like stepping into a timewarp. Beers come in pairs (they're small mugs) so don't be a tourist and correct the bartender that you only ordered one. Also there are only two kinds of beer: dark and light.

Walk over the Brooklyn Bridge into Brooklyn and check out the new Brooklyn Bridge Park and Brooklyn Heights Promenade. Excellent place to take photos of lower Manhattan. They sometimes show outdoor movies there.

Speaking of outdoor movies, there are places screening movies every weekend. Here's a good place to start. Arrive early with some food, drink, and a blanket to sit on. It gets really really crowded sometimes.

If you like museums, you'd do well with the Met, MoMA, Neue Galerie, PS1, Guggenheim, the Whitney, Brooklyn Museum, and the million others. Check out the Time Out New York and see what is exhibiting.

Subways run 24/7, but schedules can be upended on the weekend. Check out the MTA website for any changes.

Do you really love hamburgers? People will always mention Shake Shack, but that's not the only place for a good one. Work your way through this list.

I won't go into pizza too much, but the ones I hear a lot about are Grimaldi's, Lucali, and Di Fara. I am partial to the one near where I work: Pizza Italia. Order the buffalo chicken slice. Or the Grandma's round slice.

Get a doughnut at Doughnut Plant or Dough.

Don't be afraid to ask for directions. Like most New Yorkers I love giving directions.

Please don't wear your backpack on the front of your body. You look ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Exculpatrix posted:

1) What are some good punk venues?
I dunno, I'd ask here.

quote:

2) I'm currently planning to stay at an AirBnB because it seems I can get a decent enough 1 bedroom place or studio for the week for substantially less than a tolerable hotel. Is this a terrible idea? To go by the TripAdvisor forums AirBnBs are super illegal, all advertised properties are scams, and if you find a property that isn't a scam then the landlord/police/Jesus will turn up and kick you out in the middle of the night. Is AirBnB actually super dodgy in New York or is this just people on TripAdvisor being over-cautious weirdos?

If AirBnB isn't an option, are there any hotels which have a) decent transport to cool things and b) private bathrooms, on a budget of ~$1050 for the week? Looking at Expedia it seems like hotels in that range are either in New Jersey or have shared bathrooms.
If your AirBnB stay is more than 30 days or it's a shared room (i.e. you share the apartment with the host), then it's legally fine. Otherwise it qualifies as a hotel and stuff like this starts to happen. If the host has a good review history and you don't annoy your neighbors during your stay, you will probably be fine. If you are considering hotels, there are a few chain hotels in Gowanus, Brooklyn that would have good transportation into the city. The Holiday Inn on Union St is close to your budget and between two nice neighborhoods to explore.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Chikimiki posted:

First off, accomodation: I was a bit surprised by the crazy prices in the city, so I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good, preferably cheap, hostel/hotel close to the city center. I don't mind a spartan comfort, as long as it's clean and calm. Otherwise, any good advices on Airbnb, apart from being careful with full apartment rentals? Any areas to avoid?
Staying in the city center (i.e. Manhattan) is going to be expensive. Staying in the outer boroughs (e.g. Brooklyn, Queens) like Test Pattern suggests is the better approach. I named an area in Brooklyn above that has not-crazy-expensive options and LIC is another good place for that. You'll be a 10-20 mins subway ride from Manhattan at most.

Chikimiki posted:

Second, is it worth driving down from NYC to Greensboro? Washington, DC is on the road, as well as the Shenandoah National Park, but I don't know if we would have enough time to appreciate those...
Oh, and does anyone know of a nice car rental service in or around New York? I've found some ok ones online (mainly enterprise.com), but the gringo in me would love to drive an old Lincoln or Gran Torino, if such a thing exists naturally :)
I know you have a few people in your group but I would fly. Driving south from NYC means you're driving through Philadelphia, Baltimore, and DC. And avoiding all 4 cities' rush hours means driving very early or very late in the day. If you want to stop by Philly, DC, and some national parks for some sightseeing, then sure. If you're driving straight through, I'd rather fly or maybe take the train to DC and drive from DC. I hate driving.

Rental cars in NYC are expensive compared to other areas. I usually take a train into New Jersey and rent out of Newark Airport or New Brunswick.

Cacator posted:

Any recommendations for affordable eateries/bars/clubs in the West Village, considering it's a more upscale neighborhood?
West Village is such a cool area to explore I would just recommend wandering and stopping at any place that looks cool and you like the menu. If you have a particular style of food you are looking for, I can maybe suggest a couple places. NYC LAN thread is also good for that. Yesterday they were debating the best Korean fried chicken. NYC is only lacking in great Mexican and Vietnamese food imo.

Cacator posted:

What are the chances I'll see a snooty Hollywood celebrity?
I never see celebrities but any time I'm hosting friends or family, they always seem to spot them.

Cacator posted:

How's the weather, should I dress for cold winds or precipitation?
Yeah dress warmly (40-60°F). Might rain.

Cacator posted:

Is the Brooklyn flea market worth the trip? What's the hipster ratio there?
It's ok but likely everything will be more expensive than stuff you'd find at flea markets elsewhere.

Cacator posted:

I'm assuming if we were to try a prix fixe lunch at a Michelin starred restaurant, we'd need to be dressed fairly businesslike?
Depends on the restaurant. Places like Laut are casual.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

Chikimiki posted:

We thought about driving overnight from New York, especially if the first half of the trip isn't very scenic... Is the driving style in the US really that different is the from the in Europe? For the record we had no problem with reckless driving throughout southern Europe, even if that was exhausting :v:
You should be fine. Just have a good navigator so you can focus on the road and signs. The dense highway system between NYC and DC can be an ordeal in some places but it's totally manageable.

Chikimiki posted:

Concerning the stops along the way, we were thinking about Shenandoah NP, and either Philly or DC, plus a stop in Delaware for tax free shopping. Anything we're missing there?
The last two weeks of October is projected to be peak fall foliage season in southeastern Pennsylvania. You could pick up your car at Newark Airport and drive to New Hope, PA (~70 min drive) and explore your way towards Washington Crossing, PA. Lots of forest in bright autumn colors along the Delaware River. Maybe Valley Forge if you want to see where Marquis de Lafayette (our French BFF) hung out with George Washington and helped defeat the British. This would all be very different than your trip so far in NYC. Then continue on to Philly (lots of historical stuff, cheaper, good museums and food) or DC (free & amazing museums). I'd consider staying a night there before continuing on to Shenandoah.

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

theOctagon posted:

That brings me to my question, any bars I need to check out in the Flatiron area? I'm just here for the weekend to wander and eat and drink.
Not really. Walk 10 blocks downtown and wander West Village to Greenwich Village to East Village and turn down to Lower East Side for all the bars you could ask for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Turveydrop
May 12, 2001

If you're looking for film screenings in NYC, screenslate.com is a very good resource.

• Locked thread