Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

goku chewbacca posted:

We'll be driving in from eastern PA on I-80. Where's a good place in Jersey to leave our car for 1 or 2 nights and train or ferry into Manhattan? Liberty Island is on the itinerary--is it possible to ferry from NJ to Liberty to Manhattan?

You can take the ferry from Liberty State Park to Liberty Island and then Manhattan, but I don't think you can park overnight at the park. I'd recommend doing Liberty State Park and the statue/Ellis Island, then heading back to Jersey and going up the turnpike to Secaucus Junction. You can pay to park there and take the train over to Penn Station. If you want to do it on the cheap, you can try to park somewhere in downtown Jersey City near Grove St or Newport (no permit required on the weekend) and take the PATH over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I like Barcade a lot, they have great beer and the machines are only a quarter or two. It does get super crowded on weekend nights, so try getting there on the off hours.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Anyone have any cheap/easy suggestions for getting into Brooklyn on a Saturday if I'm starting from Wilkes Barre? Someplace in northern Jersey I can stow my car and take a train in?

Secaucus Junction has a pay lot you can stash your car at, I think it's pretty cheap on weekends. That or the Ramsey Route 17 station would be my recommendation.

Edit: Or free street parking in downtown Jersey City, then taking the PATH in.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 11, 2014

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Mad Wack posted:

Here's what you do - drive your car to the Grove street PATH. Drive up Christopher street until you see a spot to parallel park your car. Park your car. Go to either the Grove Street or Exchange PATH station depending on which is closer to you. Take the WTC PATH to NYC. Enjoy your free parking, 24 hour mass transit, and cheap ride. gently caress NJ Transit forever.

By Christopher Street do you mean Columbus Drive? If so, yes this is ideal.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

A quick look shows bars/restaurants/street food all within walking distance, as well as a short walk to multiple subway lines. I've also read good things about Upright Citizens Brigade, which is 2 blocks away. Is staying in this area a good idea, and is there anything I should know?

Upright Citizens Brigade is excellent. Be prepared to wait in line a bit, even if you buy tickets in advance - it's first come, first served seating, so it's worth getting there a little early to get a good spot. Amy Poehler ended up being a secret guest performer last time I went, which was neat.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

appropriatemetaphor posted:

What are some good concert venues in the like, 5-10$ range?

Cake Shop, Union Pool, Shae Stadium, sometimes Glasslands and Bell House, lots more. Check out The Skint or Brooklyn Vegan for lists of cheap shows in the area. Brooklyn Bowl also sometimes has really cheap or free late-night shows and DJs.

For jazz, check out the Blue Note or Fat Cat, they often have bands going all night with a cover. Marie's Crisis is a pretty fun piano bar, if that's your thing.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Apr 19, 2014

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

freebooter posted:

Quick cab question: I've been in the US for five weeks and I'm sort of getting the hang on tipping, but today I went to JFK and the driver said I could have a flat fare of $40, which sounded good to me, and he turned off the meter. In Australia this means the driver is going to personally pocket the entire fare and the cab company is none the wiser (which makes no difference to me, the passenger) but I was unsure if that was what was happening and if I should still tip. (I did anyway.) What's the deal there?

NYC taxis have an official flat fare to airports and such. You should still tip, the drivers not pocketing the fare (at least, he shouldn't be).

http://www.nyc.gov/html/tlc/html/passenger/taxicab_rate.shtml

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

KingColliwog posted:

Great suggestion. I added that to our map of New York and we will probably check it out.

We are crossing at Lacolle so I was interested, but we're planning on stopping at the wooodbury outlets on the way to New York so we'd have to cross the river twice therefore it would probably be quite a bit longer. That was a good suggestion though, is the 87 ultra-boring?

I actually just drove from New York to Montreal this past weekend (I'm writing this from my hotel in Laval). There's nothing much to do on I-87, but the scenery is pretty beautiful, especially in the Adirondack region. Once you get south of Albany it's more of a standard interstate, but nothing awful. I recommend stopping at the New Baltimore rest stop if the weathers nice, it smells like wonderful pine trees, and there's an informative display about loons.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I wouldn't drive your car into the city if you can avoid it - most NJ Transit stations have parking lots, so you can leave your car and take a train or bus in. If you'd like to drive most of the way, the Secaucus Junction station has a large pay lot with weekend specials, and a cheap shuttle train directly into Manhattan. Just make sure that the train you take back stops at Secaucus (it'll show SEC on the board)

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Upright Citizens Brigade is a great time; I've never been to that particular show but it's hard to go wrong. Get there a little early, you'll want to be able to get a good seat.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

If you're going to Little Italy, eat at Parm. It's pretty family friendly, and has great food unlike a lot of the touristy places around there.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

If you wanna help out homeless folks you'll do a lot more good by volunteering at a food pantry for a few hours instead of taking someone off the street to a restaurant.

The Google Maps app will give you pretty good directions if you switch it to the transit mode; it'll give subway and bus times, walking directions, etc. Just don't walk down the sidewalk staring at your phone, step somewhere out of the way if you need to check directions.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

You can eat on the cheap in NY; it might not be fancy sit down stuff but there plenty of diners and delis around. Where specifically will you be staying?

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

radlum posted:

I'll be staying close to Lincoln Center.

There's a great Halal truck at 66th and Columbus, you can get a chicken and rice platter for something like $5. Other than that, check Yelp and Seamless for whats nearby, even the smallest places tend to have hundreds of reviews so it's easy to find something good.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

radlum posted:

So would it be reasonable to budget $30 for food per day? How about going out on weekends?

I mean, it depends on what you want to eat. You can get by on $30 if you stick to cheap stuff and street food. On the whole though, bars and restaurants in Manhattan tend to be somewhat expensive, especially compared to the rest of the country.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

If you're going to the Unisphere, the Queens museum is right there and has a giant panorama model of New York I would have thought was awesome when I was a little kid.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

radlum posted:

I guess this is a dumb question, but I'll ask anyway, can I expect many places to be "cash only"?

Not really. A lot of bodegas and bars and such will have a credit card limit (usually $10) so it can be handy to keep at least a little cash on you. Street carts and food trucks are mostly cash only, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

I'm not much of a pancake man, but this should have some good choices: http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-best-pancakes-in-nyc-new-york-favorite-breakfast.html

The notable omission there is Shopsin's (subject of the documentary I Like Killing Flies). Famous pancakes, but not the most...customer-friendly establishment.

Toebone fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jul 6, 2015

• Locked thread