Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
If I were to move to New York from Nashville TN, how much money should I potentially have saved up? (Assuming no job, no living arrangements. My parents live in Southern VT who I would potentially be staying with to get the ball rolling, and I have a cousin that lives in hoboken I could possibly crash with as well.) I work in the restaurant industry (cook) and would be staying in New York for 2 years to work in one of your nationally recognized restaurants. I understand I'd be looking at sharing an apartment with strangers, which doesn't bother me.

My concerns:
-Amount of money I should begin with.
-Advice on potential neighborhoods for someone going to work at a reasonable hour and getting home in the wee hours of the morning. I don't want to be strolling through the ghetto at 1am, that's about it. Any proximity to a weekly farmers market would also be ideal, but I have no idea how realistic that is.

Thanks, I'm trying to decide whether I should be saving for New York or Chicago. Chicago seems cheaper, but there are a lot more options for someone like me in New York - as well as the ability to hop a train and see my parents in Vermont on my days off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxx
Aug 25, 2002
I'll cross post there, appreciate it. I'm in the process of trying to figure out what my average cook wage would end up being, I'm estimating the most I can shell out for a room is $700-800 which coming from Nashville seems insane. I have lived in Boston before, but I guess I've been out of city life for too long.

• Locked thread