Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Just got back on Wednesday from a 3-night trip to NYC. It was our first time there! Luckily I live in Tokyo so the prices for a lot of stuff was laughably cheap ($8 for a Rusty Nail), for the rest, it was pretty standard. Especially with JPYUSD being what it is.

Tourist stuff we did:
-Shopping at Century21 and 5th Ave
-Empire State Building
-Staten Island Ferry (thanks for the suggestion, Bumblebee and others)
-Got 2 slices of pizza and a drink from some random dirty pizza place for $2.50
-Walked around Central Park and the Met for a while
-Grand Central Station
-Saw Spiderman on Broadway (I'd choose something else if given another chance, but Book of Mormon is sold out forever and she wanted to see Spiderman)
-New York Public Library

Other stuff we did:
-Drank heavily at Campbell Apartment. Ate what's probably the best cheesecake of my life.
-Ate/drank at Village Yokocho. We thought it was pretty authentic. And surprisingly cheaper than we imagined, the prices are about the same as they would be if you ordered the same food here in Tokyo.

For a hotel, we stayed at Yotel New York. Extremely trendy and a nice terrace but otherwise nothing worth mentioning.

Some random thoughts:
-Didn't have any problems doing JFK->Jamaica->hotel with luggage. Then again the NYC subways seem like ghost trains compared to Tokyo so maybe we're biased.
-The MetroCard reade SUCKS, hard. I had to swipe the drat thing at least 3 times just to get in. NYC is lucky there isn't a flood of people trying to use the subway, since they'd have upgrade that crap overnight to avoid riots.
-CityMaps2Go is a good iPhone app if you're visiting from overseas and you're too cheap to pay data roaming charges. This app has saved me lots of headache/data usage fees in Panama, Dominican Republic, and now NYC.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Apr 27, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread