Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Quisty posted:

We may go to New York sometime this week, any idea of what's going to be going on or how I can find out?

Buy a Time Out New York magazine once here. It has sections for music, clubs, art, dance, theater and, of course, movies. They have a website too, but you can get one for like five bucks from most newstands when you get here and pick stuff to do out of it.

Best theater right now is Book of Mormon (comedy) and Jerusalem (drama). Should buy tickets in advance for those so you don't get poo poo seats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

P-wrinkle posted:

I'm going to NYC in a couple weeks. Any suggestions of places to eat in the $10-20 range?

IMO the time to eat cheap in New York is dinner and the time to splurge is lunch. A lot of multi star places run by big name chefs have stupidly cheap three or four course prix fixe (it's French and basically pronounced "price fix" or you can just translate it to "fixed price" when talking about them) tasting menus. These menus usually offer something like three appetizer choices, four main course choices and two desert choices and you pick one of what you'd like to try from each category, and generally reasonable substitutions are fine (eg: main choices are beef / beef / lamb and you don't eat red meat, the server will have fish or poultry options ready as well or will fetch one from the chef). They're usually filled with items the kitchen really stands behind and are meant to make a repeat customer of you.

On the uper end of things you could have a three course meal at loving Le Bernadin for 70 bucks. Places that don't have Olympian level chefs backing them often have similar deals for 20 or 30 dollars. Googling for "top prix fixe lunch nyc" or whatever will get you a variety of at least semi-reliable listicles. Yelp is also a great resource for choosing between them. All of the busier areas have several great restaurants to choose between offering these sorts of things and most big name chefs have at least one place in NYC that offers a prix fixe lunch (or a dinner of five to seven, or occasionally something absurd like 18 courses for a bit less than twice the lunch price) so you can experience your favorite Food Network chef if you want to go at it that way.

These meals usually have a wine option where for a very reasonable additional sum you can get a glass of preselected matching wine along with every course, or every other course, or whatever is appropriate per the chef or sommelier.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jul 7, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The rule of thumb is to mistrust anyone who tries to interact with you while you're in transit. New Yorkers are actually really outgoing and overly social people for the most part, but they turn that off when they're walking down a sidewalk or riding along in the subway. People talk to me constantly when I'm in a bookshop or waiting in some lobby and it doesn't strike me as strange any more (and I'm not even female or particularly handsome or whatever), however I am immediately cautious when someone wants to say something to me when I'm in the subway. Of course, many of the local men will happily make flirtatious comments toward female passersby (and no matter the sort of woman it seems like there are plenty of guys here who see them as next to ideal), but that's more ritualized commentary than actual invitation toward communication most of the time.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Best ramen in NYC is certainly Minka Ramen.

Best pizza is a bullshit category. There is lots of good pizza in NYC and it varies in style from place to place a lot, too. The definitive pizza isn't even good pizza, though, it's just a cheese slice from whatever corner operation happens to be close by and open. If you don't want to go full retard and have some sit down pizza meal I'd suggest Artichoke (on 14th or their other one over by NYU) or Justino's on 9th (which is called Amsterdam up there) between 58th and 59th, both of whom make excellent regional slices without requiring you to wait in absurd lines and order a whole pie with friends. They both have more traditional slices that are great, but at Artichoke I'd suggest the artichoke slice or the crab slice and at Justino's I'd suggest the buffalo chicken slice, the rabe and sausage slice, or the square slice with the pile of garden veggies on top whose name I'm forgetting (fresca or something). Both places are owned / run by loudmouth kids from Staten Island and that's more genuinely New York to me than some 55 year old businessman yearning to be more Italian. Just don't waste your money at Famous Rays or Famiglia, both of whom are airport pizza.

People visiting should also visit an oldschool deli and get either a pastrami (my choice) or corned beef sandwich (I like reubens). That means Katz or Carnegie, basically.

raton fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 11, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Illegibly Eligible posted:

Not NYC specific and not trying to feed a tipping flame war but 1/2 of 1/3 (or 1/3 of 1/2) rounded up to the nearest dollar is my general rule. It makes the math easy and ends up on the better side of 16% - it's how I generally give gratuities, more if service and/or the server's personality is outstanding. I've never gotten negativity for tipping this way; all of my servers in NYC seemed pleased. Bear in mind that some cultures don't view tipping the same way that Americans do, so if you're going to a strongly ethnic restaurant you may want to familiarize yourself with specifics.

You still tip at ethnic restaurants in NYC because they're in NYC. You don't enter some alternate dimension when you go to Queen of Sheba.

Tax in NYC is 8%. Double the tax to get to 16%. Or just don't be a retard and just do 2 time 10% and then adjust down a bit if something was off. People tip more in New York than they do most other places. Also if you go to some bar where your drink costs 12 or 15 bucks you should be tipping two dollars, not one.

Insane Totoro posted:

Just got back from NYC. I can confirm that the dim sum at Jade in Flushing is indeed quite good.

I always go to Flushing for dim sum but then I live in Queens so it's easy for me to get there.

dancehall posted:

I've been thinking more and more about moving to New York. I don't have any particular job prospects, and my work experience is a few years of teaching English here and a few years doing the same abroad. I figure maybe I'll just temp and keep my eyes open and hope I find something.

First: is this insane? I do have a good amount of money saved up so it's not like I'm going to starve to death.

If it's not insane, where to live? I like Brooklyn but I hear Astoria's really cool for the buck.

And how to arrange a living situation? I figured I might take the bus up, stay in a hostel or maybe crash with my cousin in Park Slope while I look into sublets on craigslist or whatever.

Any wise words? I'd really just like to spend some time living in the area while I'm still young.

-It's not insane but you need to realize that you'll probably be living in one room in three bedroom apartment and paying 700 or something to do so. Everything else is more expensive, too.

-Jesus christ man. There are parts of Brooklyn where it'll take you two hours to get into Manhattan using public transport and parts where it won't even take you five minutes. What you're asking here is basically "where can a young white male live who doesn't have much money and doesn't want to get stared at or scared" and the answer to that these days is like 90% of the city. If you want to live somewhere cool it's going to be expensive -- Astoria is expensive, the parts of Brooklyn that don't suck are expensive, the parts of the Bronx that are tolerable are expensive, etc. I live in Jackson Heights (a part of Queens) and I was basically the only white guy here for a few years but now a few hipsters are starting to show up and there's this park (well, it's about 50 square meters of grass in a triangle shape but whatever) nearby where people get jumped every other weekend. Want to know where is safe and where isn't? After you find a place on Craigslist just put the address into Google maps and then Google maps to show you how many Crown Fried Chicken restaurants are nearby. Those things spawn monsters.

-Find some way to stay here for a bit and look through the rooms/shared section of Craigslist.

Here's a wise word: Call you cousin in Park Slope and ask him.

raton fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 18, 2011

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Banannah posted:

I'm booking a trip to New York through Expedia and they offer a shuttle service from JFK to the hotel and vice versa for around $20 (including tolls and gratuity) each way. I'm not too bothered about getting a shuttle to the hotel but my flight back to the UK is at 7pm and I'm not sure how easy the subway would be to navigate at that time on a Saturday with a suitcase. Would it be worth booking the shuttle for the trip from the hotel to the airport?

IMO if you have anything other than just a carry-on bag you should shell out for a cab both ways. Cab will be 45 bucks or so.

The subway is going to be 5 + 2.50 for the two legs each way and involve multiple transfers and plenty of stair climbing. Paying 20 so you can wait around for a shuttle sounds dumb.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 5, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Tigertron posted:

Does anyone have experience with paid iOS apps. I have picked up most of the free ones but I would like to know if there are any must have apps for tourist travel?

Also, I have been reading up on subway fare and for a 5 day trip, the 7-day unlimited is a no brainer am I correct?

I'd get one, yeah. The Metrocard makes a decent souvenir too.

For tourist stuff I don't know but I use NYC Mate so I can look at the subway / bus maps when I want to. Other people use Hopstop I guess.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.timeout.com/newyork/restaurants/best-burgers-burger-joints

Bagels: there are a bunch of places that cook them on site. Any of those are fine. As with pizza there is no such thing as a definitive best, just a dozen or so artisans with their own superb takes.

Pizza: John's on Bleecker is my overall reccomendation. Not jammed up, locals eat there, you'll be in that area at some point anyway. It should be said though that pizza here functions as the go-to grab and go late night / cheap food, so a cheese slice from whatever joint nearest you that's still open at 5am is perhaps more authentic. Artichoke Pizza works in this vien but makes very high quality stuff (I love you crab slice) so consider doing that instead of a sit down pizza dinner.

Other stuff: You should have a pastrami reuben from Katz's. You should see a Broadway play, which one doesn't really matter as they're all either quite good or close shop in a few days. You should have a prix fixe dinner or lunch at one of the fancier places (just Google for "best prix fixe dinner/lunch nyc" and pick one -- the last place I went for this was Brushstroke). If you've never had Ethiopian food maybe you should (Queen of Sheba). Go to the Metropolitan Museum and when they ask you for you entrance fee proudly state "I can only swing a dollar!" and that's what they'll charge you.

Baseball: springing for a Mets or Yankees game might be a requisite for you, but for a more familial feel at 1/10th the cost consider seeing the Coney Island Cyclones play instead.

Drinks: take the girlfriend to Little Branch or Macao.

Souvenirs: the station agents in the subways usually have free maps. At the end of the day (or the next morning) draw in a picture and the name of the places you went on tur map.

raton fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 26, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
You can tell who is new here by whether or not they have their metrocard technique yet. The key is to put it through at walking speed IMO, not slow or fast.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Go on yelp.com, select NYC, narrow your search to the theater district (I forget the wording of the exact option in yelp, probably "midtown") and then search for "prix fixe."

As for straight American food there are a number of diners in the general area that your Asain Waifu will enjoy, including one where the waitstaff stops serving at regular intervals to to a quick song/dance number.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

dmccaff posted:

Going to New York from Ireland with some family in July, first time in the USA. I'd like to catch a Broadway show - do I need to book online now? Also, is there a dress code or anything for Broadway? I don't think I'd be bothered going if I have to pack a suit.

As above if there's a certain show you want to see you should buy it in advance. Otherwise go to the TKTS booth (the best one is on the South Street Seaport because it opens before the Times Square one, but Times Square is okay too) and buy a ticket / tickets to whatever looks best at a decent discount. The TKTS booth only sells same-day tickets (or for matinees the following day). They have an app you can download to look through the different plays on offer while you wait in line -- I saw War Horse recently and had good orchestra seats for like 110 bucks going that route.

Some of the shows don't have tickets in TKTS. These are usually the upper crust most popular ones (Book of Mormon) and some of the super-commercial ones (Lion King) as they both figure they can do better by sticking to their own sales.

The plays have differing soft dress codes, depending mostly on what venue they're in. For example, if the play is at Lincoln Center you'll look really out of place in torn jeans and a Megadeath T-shirt. You'll still get in, mind you, but some richer-than-god octogenarian is going to give you fru fru looks. For the most part any pants plus a long sleeved shirt will keep you well withing norms at any of the plays.

To pick a play or plays in advance go here: http://www.stagegrade.com/ .

Please note the "Off & Off Off Broadway" option at the top. There's a lot of great theater done outside of the theater district -- most of the original plays for example are performed down in the West Village in the area around Barrow Street. I understand if you just want to go to a Broadway show because you're limited on your time in NYC, but if you like it consider going to a smaller playhouse or something too.

Also, there's a thing called "Sleep No More" that's a weird combination of a bar and a Pulp Fiction style cut up of Macbeth with titties plus audience participation thing that's very popular right now. Consider doing this instead of Broadway as there's nothing else really like it out there now. The general advice about how to do Sleep No More is run toward music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RR0MPk69Iao

raton fucked around with this message at 22:47 on May 31, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Oh and try to get to TKTS about thirty minutes before they open. They sell out of the more popular shows first. That's why I recommended the South Street Seaport one to begin with.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah just rent a car at LGA ya goof.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Silber posted:

Being from a small Canadian fishing village with one road, having to navigate anywhere in the US scares me silly you see.

Also rent a GPS. Even if it's like ten a day. Very worth it.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

two_beer_bishes posted:

Google maps on my phone works a million times better than the Garmin my wife bought. A lot of the roads and highways are too close together for the stupid this to figure out what we're on, but google maps has never failed us.

I've had the exact opposite experience, but whatever.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most of the Jersey stuff either goes to 34th street directly South of Times Square or right in to Times Square (well, a tiny bit West of it) at 42nd. You'll have multiple options.

Lunch is horrid in that area, it's almost 100% tourist oriented strip mall poo poo. Go on Yelp and search for "prix fixe lunch midtown" (or maybe "theater district" instead of midtown, I don't remember how Yelp has it in there) to find a few points of light, or else plan to leave the area for any real food.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

the black husserl posted:

In my opinion, I much prefer the Jean-Georges restaurant to its suspect Mexican cousin, Jean-Jorge's.

Another outright fusion cuisine racist, folks. Unbelievable...

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh you're concerned about four stars and price? There are a shitload of very good four star hotels in NY, many with history, most with outrageous prices.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Put the nearest cross street in to Google maps and then search for "Crown Fried Chicken." Post the screenshot here and we'll tell you if it's a bad neighborhood or not if your haven't figured it out yet on your own.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
That area is lovely but you'll be okay. It's just the terrible kind of lovely not the dangerous kind.

I've eaten eaten at the Crown Fried Chicken there. It's pretty good.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Scam Newton posted:

So I'm having this girl come visit me for christmas and she is a Vegan (ugh). She keeps whining that she really wants to find a hole-in-the-wall vegan restaurant in the city. I'm from Staten Island and I have no idea where to start with that crap haha. If anyone knows of anything please let me know. Thanks!

Anywhere in Brooklyn with a lot of white nonimmigrants.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The subway is safe at any hour. Just gross after 12. You can stay in either spot. Is this for a seven day vacation or are you moving here? If you're moving here you should probably stay in Williamsburg. Id you're visiting Orchard st. is a pretty rad place to stay.

Both of those locations are thick with nightlife even for NYC.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Dec 23, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
When I planned my mom's visit I choose an afternoon thing and an evening thing and planned the food around that. Everywhere you go there is something special to eat (apart from Times Square which is nothing but chain restaurants and a few pre-theater types of eateries).

One thing I would heartily suggest is buying a ticket (or two) to Sleep No More. I take anyone who visits nee here to see that show, it's a little pricy but very unique and a ton of fun. Don't spoil it by looking it up on YouTube, just buy a ticket, come about 30 minutes before your slot, and if you have time watch Macbeth (PBS has a really great version available online starring Patrick Stewart) and Hitchcock's Rebecca before coming. And be brave and do what you want while there.

For food there's too much to reccomend, but probably the NYCest thing to eat near Orchard Street is a pastrami Ruben from Katz's deli.

Edit: also if there are two of you don't be afraid to just take a cab at night. The train gets infrequent and annoying and the traffic isn't loving you by then so it's often well worth just hailing a cab. I think the MTA got rid of the 7 day unlimited ticket too (assholes) so just get a regular card with like 20 on it and refill as needed.

raton fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Dec 23, 2012

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, 80 to 90 is the cheapest. It's actually better to go during the week. It's worth it, don't be a cheap rear end.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

QuantumDeep posted:

Hello all. I'm looking at going to New York this coming weekend (probably Saturday afternoon - Tuesday afternoon). I'm looking for recommendations on hostels to stay in. I'll be traveling alone and am looking forward to exploring the city alone, but meeting some new people would be awesome and probably easier in a hostel.

Bowery Whitehouse has a good location for social stuff.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sc0tty posted:

Can anyone recommend a nice weekend style getaway out of New York? My girlfriend and I will be heading over to North East of the US on holiday in October with a current itinerary of Boston, New York and Washington. Given we won't have access to a car (expired drivers license) we are trying to find a nice 'small-town USA' type town which we can do some hiking and outdoor stuff rather than just seeing 3 big US cities. Bonus points if it's on the coast with great seafood, and more bonus points if its in between Boston and/or Washington and would allow us to incorporate it into our trip easily.

I love travelling by train so my preference is definitely somewhere accessibly by rail, however am open to buses if it's worth it.

http://www.maloufsmountain.com/
http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/getaways/outbound_diabeacon.htm

Take the train from Grand Central (Grand Central is cool.) An hour later you're in Beacon. The guy that runs Malouf's Mountain (looks like a LotR dwarf) will pick you up and take you to the trail head. Hike on the variety of marked paths into the camp site where everything will be there and set up for you including food and wood for a fire and a tent on a platform (bring a sleeping pad and a warm sleeping bag, I returned mine to Target afterward because :thuglife: ) and food to cook on the fire if you want. Sleep in a tent. In the morning hike out to the trailhead by another route (there are three). See the awesome modern art museum in Beacon (featuring all natural light and huge exhibition spaces containing multiple Serra sculptures, a 100 piece Warhol work hung in its entirety as it was hung on initial exhibition, and some naughty neon). Take the train back to NYC (probably) or eat in the little restaurant near the museum or whatever.

The train goes next to the Hudson all the way up and is a pretty ride. Beacon has a good small town America feel.

Negatives of this for you: Probably easiest to procede to Boston by going back to NYC first but check to see if maybe you can get the Greyhound from Beacon to Boston (probably there is a bus a day but I don't know, if there is the proprietor of Maloufs still certainly drive you to the bus station). Not on the (ocean) coast. Seafood isn't special (HOWEVER the Grand Central Oyster Bar is affordable, delicious, and a landmark so eat there on your return to the city I guess).

raton fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 27, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Macintosh: Sign up for The Skint, Nonsensenyc and maybe Brokelyn (email lists of cheap / often off beat events, Google will find them easily) now and go through the things they mail you. I went to a free storytelling thing last week (which was at a bar but there was no one at the door so you could have went in and talked a qt girl into buying you a drink) with people from NPR and The Moth and whatnot. When you get here buy a Time Out New York magazine (available in many news shops) which lists a lot of events with a cent sign meaning they're cheap or with a little 18+ logo I'd they let non-drinking age people in. Some bars here are very aggressive with carding, others don't seem to care that much. Many venues just do wrist bands for over 21.

Something I always do with visitors is the Met. It's a big museum, it's on the subway maps, and while they suggest 20 bucks for admission you can pay what you want for your admissions button (their building is on public land, it's part of their charter). I usually do a dollar a person. They have a sickening amount of fine art, an awesome arms and armor exhibit (Henry the 8ths armor, a muramasa katana, some rad horse armor, etc etc), a little Egyptian temple preserved in its entirety, and lots of other puerile for you to meet and spend the rest of your day with if you're so inclined.

For cheap eats concentrate on the food trucks which range from gourmet to basic but are never too expensive. Ippudo Ramen is a fun, not too expensive Big Meal Out for you which won't break your budget (15 for one of the city's most well regarded bowls, lots of atmosphere). Get there exactly at 5pm (or even a little earlier on the weekend) unless you love lines.

Any particular interests?

I live in NYC so I'm not allowed to know anything about NJ transit. But if I wanted to I'd type in New Jersey Transit which is the name for their public transport system I think and do some searches. I'd be surprised if there was no way to get from EWR to Ridgewood. I work weekends so I can't show you around or anything.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 28, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
See if you can reserve a hostel room for that one night (Bowery Whitehouse has a great location and lots of people your age) because it'll save you HOURS of transport, allow you to party that night if you want / get lucky, and if you factor in the cost of transport vs the hostel it's a good deal. They fill up quickly! Go see if they have something now. If not, go to hostelworld and see what else there is. Even if it's 60 bucks it'll be worth it even on your budget, but it should be less than that.

E: Don't go to two museums on the same day that's too much museum. Pick one. Only pick MoMA if you're a fine art or design student. It's expensive and a lot of the work is the kind of stuff that's hard to appreciate without a background. I bring almost everyone to the Met. I only bring visiting old flame shorthair girls to MoMA. (It's kinda not worth it even for people who know a little about it and really like it like me :hush: ) Never go to Guggenheim on a visit unless their current exhibit is EXACTLY what interests you. Natural History is cool if you like dino bones but also expensive.

Stagegrade is a good site to compare plays on. There is a thing called the TKTS booth (Google) where you can get discounted tickets to many plays. If you try it show up at the South Street Seaport location about 30 minutes before they open (no joke, don't be late) to have a good selection of things to see. But Accidental Pervert should be fine too.

Get your top of the rock ticket in advance or you'll die in line. I don't know how you do that because I've never gone, but people always tell me to do that if I go. Central Park is great for residents but not an attraction IMO. Highline is an elevated park which is kind of cool but not mind blowing or anything, it is free though.

E2: Oh you should probably eat at Katz's Deli or Carnegie Deli. A pastrami reuben is what I get. You've never had pastrami like that in your life, they fork a whole brisket out of the vat and start slicing off the delicious meats for you, give you a variety of pickles sour and sweet (and maybe a picked green tomato if you ask) and then your can eat it. Very definitive NY meal that you can't get elsewhere. If you think this is dumb go to Google, type in Pastrami, click the Wikipedia link, and right there is a picture of a pastrami sandwich from the same Carneige Deli that I just named (but I usually go to Katz's.)

raton fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 28, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

The pHo posted:

Strangest post of the day alert:

When I was waiting in the Metro and hearing the subway trains leave, the noise they make to me sounded just like the first note of Moby's Extreme Ways. My friend didn't know the song so he couldn't confirm that I'm not just a mad person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICjyAe9S54c

Feel free to have me locked up.

This is a well known phenomena in NYC:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/02/21/nyregion/21about.html?_r=0

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
On and just so you know that Moby song you linked to can't be played in the US :rolleye:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bo8SWn5mxus

The song is called "Somewhere" if you want to look it up and compare it.

raton fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 30, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

screenwritersblues posted:

Forbidden Planet is the one that you're thinking of. It's really good too. It's the second best behind Midtown. It moved to it's current location about year ago and it has gotten a lot better, mainly because there's more floor space. It doesn't have a lot of older stuff, but it's still pretty cool. Midtown Comics, which is right near Times Square is where you what to go.

Also, Rashoman, how is Three Lives? I'm thinking about heading over there next month so that can start the book store tour. I have St. Mark's, Three Lives, and Jackson McNally on my list. I've been to The Strand and Shakespeare and Co., which I hate because of the staff. If you know anything about the others, then that would help too.

I like Bluestockings. Not a huge selection and it's obviously a leftist lesbian cult castle, but the coffee is decent and they have grotty little readings and if you want to buy a copy of Rules for Radicals without being put on a watch list it's a good place to do it. Tons of food and bars in the area, too.

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

Any suggestions for a good place in lower Manhattan/Brooklyn to watch the Champions League finale?

http://www.nevadasmiths.net/about.htm

They've got audio embedded in their site, that's how British/soccer they are. There are actually a fair number of reasonably soccer oriented places now, but NS was the first place to be really vocal about it.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 9, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Most of your fancy cocktail bars are roughly between 6th Street and Canal Street. Hotels down there are a bit expensive, but there are a lot of nice little botique type places. I need a budget from you to help you any more, but supposing you're not a trillionaire and are wanting to stay in a kinda cool hotel I'd look into the Carlton Arms (actually a hostel but they have private rooms with bathrooms, 24th street) and The Gem SOHO (Houston street on the East side). Rooms are almost universally small, so deal with it. You don't want to stay anywhere with Midtown, Times Square, or the word "Upper" included its locational descriptor.

Some names of cocktail bars:
Death and Company (modern)
Little Branch (speakeasy)
Employees Only (modern)
Macao (same owners as EO)
Please Don't Tell (speakeasy I guess)
Painkiller (tiki bar)

She will probably want to marry you if you take her to Sleep No More. The bar in there is nice, too. Expensive show though.

If you're anywhere in Manhattan you're safe. Anywhere in the five boroughs really apart from like one spot in Queens, two in Brooklyn, and a section of the South Bronx, none of which you'd either have a reason to visit nor possibly end up in by mistake. NYC is (unfortunately) very safe now.

Don't hesitate to take a cab home at night, not for safety reasons, but because it's fast then and not that expensive. Give cabbies a cross street instead of an address and they're happy.

SA forums poster Vegetable Melange is a fancy ye olde bespoke bartender man (I used to be a nightclub bartender) here in NYC so if you can get in contact with him maybe he has some more refined drinking suggestions.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jun 24, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

My Lovely Horse posted:

Why is that, exactly, because I'm apparently going to New York this year and the hotel I'm to stay in could not possibly be any more within Midtown. Just a bad location for cocktail bars or generally bad?

Boring business oriented area. It's innocuous enough, but nothing ventured nothing gained goes for parts of NYC as well.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jul 6, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Mta.info. You'll be able to figure it out on the fly once you're here from the subway maps. Station agents in the booths usually have free copies of the map you can get, and many use an app like Hopstop or Embark so they don't have to get out of their seat to go look at the map that's posted all over the place in stations and in almost every train car.

Almost no one uses a schedule. You just go to your station and wait and unless it's at night on a weekend you usually don't have to wait too long. As a tourist if you are waiting for a while or have a long trip just go take a cab instead.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 1, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Financial District is a dead zone at night relatively speaking. Go uptown a little bit to Canal and drink/dance at at bar named Macao. It's not much out of your way. A little further to the north/east of there and you're in the Lower East Side, which is a very busy nightlife area with countless options. Or if you want more bougie / clubby go to the west instead of the east at the relative same latitude.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Sleep No More is 21+.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

kuddles posted:

1) If there is one district with cool shops I would want to visit, which would it be?

2) What's a good breakfast option in that city? Naturally, I get a lot of recommendations for eating food in the city, but they are all the food carts, delis, pizza places, delis, etc. that everyone tells you to visit. Way too many to even visit my first time there. But nobody tells me where to get a great benny or something. Does it even matter? With all the suggestions I've gotten, I'm wondering if I should even bother. I'm getting the impression that walking into any place in Midtown or Hell's Kitchen is like a 90% chance of a good meal, without me having expectations for it to live up to.

Like, clothes? Probably SoHo, which is a mix of chain and smaller boutique designer stores. Every chain store in the world has a "Flagship" outlet on 5th Avenue too though along with the shitheel luxury bigboxes (French or Italianate names here). You may want to visit the respective fashion/clothing threads in YLLS to ask for suggestions for small shops to check out visavis your style -- most clothing designers start here.

Standard NY breakfast is a Baconeggandcheese from any of the mulitple street carts or delis selling them for 2 to 3 bucks, which comes on a largeish round piece of bread called a roll here -- I prefer mine without the cheese and with ketchup on one of those ghetto raisin bagels they usually have, but whatever. A nicer choice would be a nice bagel but those are rarer (I like David's Bagels on 1st Ave, Ess-A-Bagel is fine, anywhere where the bagels are made in-house really). People get different things on their bagels. If you have two days you could get a whole wheat everything bagel with chive cream cheese and lox and something less fancy. Truth be told New Yorkers don't care about breakfast very much. The 9-5ers fetishize Sunday Brunch (Cafe Orlin, hundreds of others) I think mostly because they're insufferable late 20s goobers who are enchanted with champagne with food upon waking.

Maybe you can try mangu for breakfast if you're in a Spanish part of town.

Eat a pastrami reuben at either Carneigie Deli or Katz's (I slightly prefer Katz's) while you're here.

Midtown is famous for having bad food options. Hell's Kitchen will have lots of Baconeggandcheese around.

raton fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Sep 26, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LmPBPWHJu4

From the LAN thread. It's actually a good guide to some basics.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Bowery Whitehouse hostel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Shane-O-Mac posted:

I have two people staying in the Upper East side for 3 days and 3 nights. Would it be cheaper for the both of us to share a pay-per-ride Metro Card, or for us each to get a 7-day unlimited? It's tough for me to judge how many separate trips we'll actually need to take.

Also, how do transfers work when going from subway to bus and vice-versa? MTA.info makes it out like transferring from subway to bus is free, but I don't see how that's possible because you need to leave the station to get on the bus.

It would be more sensible for you to get individual pay-per-ride cards with about twenty bucks on there to start with and use taxis when traveling together sometimes. Three days is probably not enough to get your money out of an unlimited card given that you'll likely be traveling together at night a fair bit and in that case it'll be faster/easier/cheaper to share a cab.

• Locked thread