Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
I mean yeah the leader guy can stand at the gate swiping away like a maniac to let people through but then you'll look like a herd of brand new Chinese immigrants. Also part of what makes the subway nice is that you don't have to haggle out rides home at the end of the night and the cards make a decent souvenir. And you get to make fun of someone for their poor swiping technique (it goes print facing you at the same speed at which you walk).

The cards register the last time they were used each time they're used. Unlimited cards have like a 15 minute time period before you can use them again. Maybe if you try to use a regular card more than four times in X time it won't let you through. I've seen people swiping groups through before but never a really large group that I've paid attention to so I can't say for sure if that happens or not.

raton fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Oct 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Family stuff: see a play. If your family is plain Jane see The Lion King. If you're high minded go to stagegrade.com and pick out something highly regarded. If you're all adventurous and able to ambulate easily try Sleep No More.

Book of Mormon is also very good but expensive and often hard to get tickets for (still).

The Metropolitan museum is the best one for families. The range and the price (the 20 is suggested, part of their deal with NYC that lets them sit on park land is to provide at will pricing, so you can get in for a dollar if you want).

Dim Sum on a Sunday is a good family thing if you don't have a good Chinatown back home. There are numerous options, the best overall one being Hop Shing IMHO (or Flushing, but that's probably too far for ya).

Bagels: Ess-A-Bagel is solid and makes a bagel that no one could complain about. I also like David's Bagels. You can get a sort of bagel sandwich called a Super Heeb at Russ and Daughters that is very tasty (two kinds of smokey fish and a wasabi roe), and both Johnah Shimmel knishery (a knish is a heavy kind of potato muffin thing that you eat for lunch or dinner, often with mustard) and Katz's Deli are near there.

See a comedy show. Stand up had never been stronger than it is now. Comedy Cellar is the premier venu but there are lots of others right on its heels.

raton fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Oct 25, 2013

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Look into Chelsea Star and Carlton Arms.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

moosefence posted:

Hey do you have any other recommendations? My wife and I are coming for a week in January and I would really like to check out some standup. Comedy Cellar and Caroline's were on my list, but I really don't know where else to look.

Almost every day there's a cheap comedy show listed here: http://www.theskint.com/ Often in the back of a bar, sometimes in a little theater, they're all good though.

There are at least four premier venues on the other end of things where you're likely to see at least one guy from TV any time you go. Comedy Cellar, Gotham, Caroline's, Dangerfield's. And UCB for sketch comedy. Comedy Cellar is by far the most intimate and the only one where really you need to make a reservation to attend -- however reservations aren't hard to get, you just email earlier in the day basically. Hannibal Buress' recurrent show at The Knitting Factory is red hot right now with people showing an hour or more before the show to get in the building.

For a list of headliners you can visit the TONY standup page: http://www.timeout.com/newyork/comedy

If you like standup you could also go to a storytelling thing. It's a growing activity here, the dominant show in that domain is The Moth but there are lots of them now. Usually it's performers and/or standups doing pieces (which are sometimes funny) rather than traditional standup comedy. You'll see lots of them listed on that first link I gave you, they're usually free.

raton fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Nov 7, 2013

• Locked thread